POS logitech G5!

Eagle156

2[H]4U
I've been using this mouse for only a year and the mouse wheel is already crapping out on me. When I first got it I didn't like the mouse wheel at all because the side scroll made it impossible to click the middle mouse button easily; it was too stiff. So I mapped the left scroll button as the middle mouse button to make do since it's much easier to click in a hurry. Now the left scroll button doesn't work half the time and sticks the other half of the time. So when I try to close a tab in firefox it won't close anything at first and then close 5 tabs instead of just one. And lately I've been playing Starcraft 2 where I desperately need the middle mouse button and it's crapping out on me. :mad: I have to waste time clicking it a bunch of times and often the map doesn't even go where I want it to go.

I've had an MX510 and that mouse lasted me years. It actually worked perfectly fine, I just needed higher dpi and accuracy. Is Logitech's quality going down the tubes?

I had my old G5 for nearly 3 years and the scroll wheel was suffering from the misaligned "click" issue. You'd roll it and it'd scroll the page before it clicked to the next notch. It was incredibly annoying.

I called up Logitech and asked what could be done. They checked the serial, said it was still under warranty, but since they didn't make that model anymore, they sent me a brand new G500 at no charge.

Logitech has my business for sure.

I had my old G5 for nearly 3 years and the scroll wheel was suffering from the misaligned "click" issue. You'd roll it and it'd scroll the page before it clicked to the next notch. It was incredibly annoying.

I called up Logitech and asked what could be done. They checked the serial, said it was still under warranty, but since they didn't make that model anymore, they sent me a brand new G500 at no charge.

They've been doing this replacement procedure for years. I highly recommend giving them a call.

They've been doing this replacement procedure for years. I highly recommend giving them a call.

+1, they replaced my defective G5 with a G5 rev2, free of charge, no return required.

The thing that bugs me about my G5 (and this is the second of the rev2 G5s I've had) is that sometimes it decides not to be recognized by my computer...the DPI indicator doesn't come on or anything. I have to reach behind my PC and unplug it and plug it back in to get it to come on.

The thing that bugs me about my G5 (and this is the second of the rev2 G5s I've had) is that sometimes it decides not to be recognized by my computer...the DPI indicator doesn't come on or anything. I have to reach behind my PC and unplug it and plug it back in to get it to come on.

That's exactly what would happen with mine - it would act like it was unplugged, then suddenly it would come back online like nothing had happened.

same here but mine is an even older model, they're replacing a g3 with a new g500, scroll wheel stopped working after around 1 year of use. service is definitely good, but you have to look at the big picture. on top of the obvious qc issues, their drivers are terrible and their product life cycles are way too short.

same here but mine is an even older model, they're replacing a g3 with a new g500, scroll wheel stopped working after around 1 year of use. service is definitely good, but you have to look at the big picture. on top of the obvious qc issues, their drivers are terrible and their product life cycles are way too short.

I love logitech (I own z-560 speakers, g500, g27, g15, lx518 wireless set, lx5 for my desktop and laptop) but I have to agree, their drivers blow. I currently have 5 logitech driver/programs running in my system tray. Five. Logitech setpoint, setpoint for gaming mice, g15 lcd manager, g15 G-series profiler, profiler for wheel. How about rolling them all into one "Logitech Device Controller" program jeez. Or how about how I can't bind the thumb buttons on my g500 in BC2 unless I turn off setpoint for gaming mice? And that there is no option to have it not run when windows starts?

I had the same problem with a rev1. I used it for 2.7 years and it started happening. I emailed logitech and they asked for my address and sent me a new rev2 one free.

I have had my G5 since it was released to the market. I have put 1000s of hours on it. No issues.
Of course I have one of the original G15 keyboards and have had no issues with it as well.

Perhaps you got a bad one or perhaps you somehow broke it. The fact it was working for over a year means it wasn't made poorly. I do like the blame the manufacturer mentality though.

Damn mine has this issue. It's annoying as hell...

I've been using this mouse for only a year and the mouse wheel is already crapping out on me. When I first got it I didn't like the mouse wheel at all because the side scroll made it impossible to click the middle mouse button easily; it was too stiff. So I mapped the left scroll button as the middle mouse button to make do since it's much easier to click in a hurry. Now the left scroll button doesn't work half the time and sticks the other half of the time. So when I try to close a tab in firefox it won't close anything at first and then close 5 tabs instead of just one. And lately I've been playing Starcraft 2 where I desperately need the middle mouse button and it's crapping out on me. :mad: I have to waste time clicking it a bunch of times and often the map doesn't even go where I want it to go.

I've had an MX510 and that mouse lasted me years. It actually worked perfectly fine, I just needed higher dpi and accuracy. Is Logitech's quality going down the tubes?

Luck of the draw I guess. Mines over 3 years old and still going strong.

^^that's exactly what mine was doing before the wheel stopped working altogether after 1 year, and this is a g3 I'm talking about. which means they're just using the same shitty parts generation after generation, that's why it means nothing to me when they just hand out another cheap mouse.

nice thing is that the g500 has a better laser, almost triple the g3/g5 with 2000 dpi only.

I used to be all for Logitech mice and peripherals. However, I have had:
MX 1000 - bought when it first came out. Still works, has click issues. I occasionally open it and repair the clicking so it works fine again. Has had the problem since about a year after I got it.

G7 #1 - Stopped communicating with the usb base stick thing. RMAd.
G7 #2 - Would randomly stop working on all PCs I used. RMAd.
G7 #3 - I lost the USB connector stick :p Replaced with G9.

G9 #1 - Mouse would power and function, laser would not power on. Buttons still worked. RMA
G9 #2 - Same issue, about a year after I got it as RMA replacement. I contacted for RMA, they wanted to do a different RMA method (Ever RMA prior to this they have shipped a replacement first, this one they refused to until I shipped my mouse back.) I threw the mouse out and bought a Razer Mamba. Logitech lost me as a customer due to the change in RMA method from prior experiences and absolutely pathetic products.
Just to add in, I am not rough on my mice. I dont slam them, I dont throw them, I dont pound on the buttons. I pay a decent amount for peripherals, I try to keep them in excellent condition.

I will say, I did (and do) love my G15. Both versions have been pretty decent keyboards. Shame I'll be looking elsewhere when it's time to replace this one.

I've had my G5 for two years now, no issues what so ever. Glad to hear all the good stories about Logitech customer service, though. I've always loved their gaming gear.

Back