• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Portal problems

Rehevkor

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
1,155
First, Portal is stuttering like crazy on my machine. It's not a framerate issue, but rather a steady jittery effect that makes it frustrating to play. Changing video settings (including turning vsync on and off) has no effect.

Second, I don't hear the voice over at all. I'm 4 puzzles in I think... what's going on here?
 
I never heard a voice over until the very end of the game (credits), dunno if there is supposed to be one or not.

As far as graphics go, try turning down the settings?
 
I sometimes get sounds omitted in valve games - I have 5.1 headphones, but if I put the sound settings on "5.1 speakers", as recommended, some effect sounds in TF2 don't play when i'm facing away from them. I have to switch to "heaphones" for all the sounds to play.

Try that?
 
If you've got 5.1 surround, please make sure to test your speakers and insure they ALL work. I've an X-fi card, and find that switching modes (e.x. from entertainment to gaming) may make some speakers not work or play sound from other channels, even if they have the same speaker settings. This can generally be fixed by switching to a different mode, and then switching back. A good 5.1 surround test file can be found here:

http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html
http://www.lynnepublishing.com/surround/www_lynnemusic_com_surround_test.wma

I hope that helps! Portal really shouldn't be played without the computer's commentary, it just adds so much to the game!
 
The not hearing the narrator is a known bug. Try changing your language in game to German, restart, change to English, restart again. That did it for me. There should be a female narrator voice at the beginning and end of every level.
 
Exit Portal > Properties (of Portal) > Language > Change to German > Change back to English > Restart Portal

Fixed it for me.

edit: like a redheaded stepchild
 
I can only run the game in windowed mode :(. Fullscreen results in jacked up colored diagonal lines across the screen.

Vista 32bit, 7900gt btw.
 
Back
Top