Portal 2 Adoption News "Controversy"

I hope to god Valve puts out Portal 2 content that contains even more adoption jokes. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

What? Unacceptable? Really, if we allow people to start being "unacceptable" and ostracizing everything in this world, we won't be left with any media or books or education for that matter. Not to mention that the taunt was directed towards Chell and not his daughter. This is just ridiculous, just like being outraged with someone saying that the sports team that you support sucks or the way you live your life is stupid, just grow up and learn to live in this world.

I hope to god Valve puts out Portal 2 content that contains even more adoption jokes. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Please, please, indeed. And, Valve should add mocking of anyone who complains.

This would be right in GLaDOS's personalty:
"You're adopted. Your mommy didn't want you. What's that? You're crying that I'm being mean. Too bad you don't have your mommy to go crying to."

If this guy doesn't know how to explain it to his daughter, he should probably just ask her because if she's cool enough to be playing portal 2 then she probably 'gets' it.

Well, Kudos for playing games with his kids.

Now, go read a book on how to explain things to your kids.

Or worst case, use common sense.

I'm not adopted, nor have my wife and I adopted any kids, but I think serious life issues like adoption should be discussed well before age 10. My oldest son (age 6) is high-functioning autistic, which significantly affects him, us, and the other kids. We have already started discussing with our 4-year-old daughter what that means, and plan to start teaching our son in the next few months ("you have autism, so your brain works differently than some people. So there are rules which might not make any sense to you, but you need to know them and follow them....")

Waiting until some time beyond age 10 seems a bit overprotective to me. Again, though, I've never been personally involved in an adoption scenario...

I'm adopted and I lolled.
I guess my parents didn't fucking suck though.

What an awful father, IMHO. His daughter HAS parents. He is one of them. This is a non-issue, as I guarantee his daughter doesn't, hasn't, and never will think "I have no parents because I was adopted"

ahaha, this.

i was adopted and never considered my parents as anything else, something went wrong somewhere if you, do and something is wrong if you're taking offense like this / so worried that your kid might go ballistic or some shit and oh god the consequences!

it was never hidden from me, my parents raised me and they are awesome so what does it matter?

Change the rating to "T" if it is an issue and the girl seems to be more interested in the gameplay than the comments.In America ,this getting offended at every little thing and then sueing because it is not politically correct.This used to be a country where you had freedom of speech and now it is freedom of speech until it offends somebody!

I'm not adopted, nor have my wife and I adopted any kids, but I think serious life issues like adoption should be discussed well before age 10. My oldest son (age 6) is high-functioning autistic, which significantly affects him, us, and the other kids. We have already started discussing with our 4-year-old daughter what that means, and plan to start teaching our son in the next few months ("you have autism, so your brain works differently than some people. So there are rules which might not make any sense to you, but you need to know them and follow them....")

Waiting until some time beyond age 10 seems a bit overprotective to me. Again, though, I've never been personally involved in an adoption scenario...

I found out I was adopted when I was in kindergarten, but for some reason I think I had some idea prior to that. Our teacher was out sick or something and a sub came in and talked about adoption asking if any of us kids were. I just kind of raised my hand and when I got home from school I asked my mother about it. Never bothered me in the slightest. People don't give kids enough credit when it comes to understanding things.

For gods sakes don't let her watch The Truman Show. She'll start looking for the hidden cameras.

WTF!!

Grow the fuck up guy and focus on providing some meaningful self esteem to your children. Then a well grounded child will not be 'harmed' by random comments.

No wonder he had to adopt, he has no balls. The adopted daughter, didn't look like she gave a fuck, she just wanted to play video games. He's the problem, making such a big deal out of it. I'm sure she'll hear worse at school, especially after her father made the news.

I hate when parents like this. The kid dont give a shit guy quit being such a fucking drama queen.

LOL....once again, the KIDS show themselves to be smarter than the parents. This is fucking sad, when a 10 year old has more brains than the parents do...

The kid was smart enough to know that this was directed at the in game avatar....

what a tard...... and the news station too...
"its an educational game".... its a fuckin puzzle solver
"we contacted Sony" /facepalm

And the character in portal, I dont think it was ever mentioned in her background if she was adopted or not. Not much info about her background is known. And it was taken out of context (the insults). I dont remember much from that part, but wasnt it touched on earlier by GlaDOS when carrying around Wheatly that she says Nell is adopted or something? Or not remembering?

what a tard...... and the news station too...
"its an educational game".... its a fuckin puzzle solver
"we contacted Sony" /facepalm

And the character in portal, I dont think it was ever mentioned in her background if she was adopted or not. Not much info about her background is known. And it was taken out of context (the insults). I dont remember much from that part, but wasnt it touched on earlier by GlaDOS when carrying around Wheatly that she says Nell is adopted or something? Or not remembering?

They kind of hint that Chell may have been adopted, but it's not clear. They intentionally don't share her back story. If GlaDOS can be believed Chell's parents were also test subjects and they may have abandoned her or given her up. There is also a theory floating around that Chell's parents are Cave Johnson and Caroline. Either way it's never clear and you can't really trust GlaDOS or Wheatley.

Sandy vagina much, you fucking pussy? Are you serious that you think this is about you.

My oldest son is adopted - and I don't really find the humor in poking fun at it.

I can tell you though - after adopting (or I am sure being adopted) you notice the sheer amount of movie plots, books, etc. that portray adoption as either something to be ashamed of, or a loser to winner story (but you have to tear the kid down before they win at the end and have happily ever after).

Honestly - it was just not needed. Everyone has a hot button - and this is one of them for adopted children (those young enough and still trying to find their way), or parents that are, to a certain extent, trying to make sure that their children know that they are loved, etc...

My oldest son is adopted - and I don't really find the humor in poking fun at it.

I can tell you though - after adopting (or I am sure being adopted) you notice the sheer amount of movie plots, books, etc. that portray adoption as either something to be ashamed of, or a loser to winner story (but you have to tear the kid down before they win at the end and have happily ever after).

Honestly - it was just not needed. Everyone has a hot button - and this is one of them for adopted children (those young enough and still trying to find their way), or parents that are, to a certain extent, trying to make sure that their children know that they are loved, etc...

Sorry man but calling it not needed is pure political correctness bullshit. You can't protect yourself (or your children) from everything offensive in the world. Just because it bugs YOU doesn't mean it isn't needed. If you don't like it at that point it is up to you to not play the game and ignore it. Maybe shoot a letter to Valve telling them your story or whatnot. Dark humor can be offensive, that's part of its nature. You can either pass on it or just accept it and go with it. There are a few plot elements that pop up from time to time that I can't stomach, so I avoid them and avoid stories that deal with them. I'm not going to tell the creator that it isn't needed or that they're offending me. It isn't my place to tell a person what is or isn't needed for their story, I know I'd be pissed if someone did that to me.

This is why I hate stupid fucking people. The game is educational, it teaches the kids to ignore their dumb as shit American, overreacting parents.

And the reporters needs to be shot, or just make fun of these people w/o the fear of losing their jobs because "o noes, you hurt me feeling. bwaaaa" whinoes....

What ever happened to the good old days where you just sucked it up and stopped being a whiney little bitch?

Lmao that is epic.

Im fat, and adopted (Although my adoption is a little different)

And do I give a fuck that a joke like that is in the game? Thank god I was never raised by my bio mother. My one and only mother is the one who raised me. Pffff..making a fuss over a video game.

"You're adopted, and that's terrible" is not a great message to send, even as a joke.

I took it as "that's terrible" was referring to the TAUNT being terrible, that GLaDOS was admonishing the turret/whatever that was making the taunt (note: I haven't yet played it.) Of course, I haven't seen the entire context, maybe GLaDOS and the turret/whatever are both taunting the player...

Also "educational"? Since when did Portal claim to be "educational"? "E for Everyone", sure, but not "educational"...

so they will steer clear of that part of the game? sounds like a whiny lil bia to me

So now everyone in that town, including all the children in her school, know that she is adopted. Yeah, thats not going to turn into a problem, since we all know that school children are all caring and understanding people.

Good job dad, you just made your child's life a living nightmare.

I hate to take the Dad's side, since he is being quite melodramatic, but I did not expect to hear that insult from a game with an ESRB "E" rating. It doesn't rank up there with sex and violence, but it's a much more sensitive issue (by way of complexity) than short, tall, fat, skinny, red headed step child, etc.

Regarding the father, he needs a doubleshot of testosterone. What the hell do you mean you don't want to discuss the insult you considered so offensive!?! Why do you think movie ratings are called P(arental) G(uidance)? You don't wait for your kid to tell you they're ready to discuss an issue which you, not necessarily the child, feel is so important. You need to be a role model for your children and that includes exhibiting traits such as confidence, gumption and initiative.

Documentary says he immediately turned the game off, yet seconds later, it clearly shows the girl playing! Ahh, what a money-grubbing hypocrite.

I hate to take the Dad's side, since he is being quite melodramatic, but I did not expect to hear that insult from a game with an ESRB "E" rating. It doesn't rank up there with sex and violence, but it's a much more sensitive issue (by way of complexity) than short, tall, fat, skinny, red headed step child, etc.

And once again, it has 10+ rating, not just a plain E.

I agree with the questions about why no fatty joke anger... total double standard.

I think the guy needs to spend his tampon money on something else if he's that sensitive. Something tells me that if his daughter grows up to be a gamer (looks like it already) she will likely see this news clip and ask her dad why he was such a n00b-douche about her being adopted.

Its not "Adoption" thats the issue if you think about it; its being orphaned and that usually IS NEGATIVE: Adopted kids aren't any worse or better than the rest (although the environments can lend to it), true, but I think there is a reality that needs to just be accepted about adoption; you were most likely orphaned as well. Chances are that the kid came from parents who cant provide for the child, chose not to, maybe were bad parents, died, etc... so chances are that the negative view on adoption is there for a reason... or it wouldn't be the foundation for a joke or insult in the first place... duh! Adoption is assumed to be a negative because it often comes from being orphaned, which, no way around it... sucks! Now, what about children who are never orphaned, but "signed over" in some method to parents who wanted a child and planed the pregnancy with someone else? They were never really "orphaned", yet they are "adopted"... and oddly enough this sort of adoption doesn't seem to have the same stigma. Maybe the issue isnt with the word or idea of "Adoption" so much as with "Orphan", and lets face it, being an Orphan isn't something anyone would want. Being an orphan is negative in our culture... "Orphan Annie" being the best example.

We need to realize as a culture that we are scrutinizing the wrong term. What I think sucks about Adoption in this country is the total lack of connection between the genetic parents and the adoptive ones. It seems that when a family member has to adopt a child, like a god-parent or grandparent due to a parent's departure, the children dont grow up wondering about what happened, who they really are, etc... those resources are still there. When you grow up not even having a clue, nobody can tell you much, etc. because they think its protecting you... thats worse IMO and has to be weird.

Im a "half-orphan" that was never "half-adopted" so thats just my "half-assed" perspective.

And once again, it has 10+ rating, not just a plain E.

Exactly.

EVERYONE 10+
Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) have content that may be suitable for ages 10 and older. Titles in this category may contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp

Then again, Avatar was rated PG-13, and there was swearing, along with people being shot, crushed, stabbed, and suffocated, so all ratings are bullshit anyway.

Wonder what dad's going to say about schoolbuses after his kid comes home from school? The stuff my kids were repeating after getting off the bus from a few days at school was jaw dropping. They "heard it on the bus" was they're comment. I had some 'splaining to do as Ricky would say. This guy hasn't heard nothing yet if he thinks that was bad.

Back