Portable/Lockable CD burner case

widefault

Supreme [H]ardness
Portable/Lockable CD burner case

This has been in the planning for a while, never got around to doing anything until the other day.

Basically, I had a firewire bridge board that only supports optical devices, so I was looking for something to use as a drive case. I went junk shopping with my dad and found an old Kennedy brand toolbox. Results are below.

bc1.jpg

bc2.jpg

bc3.jpg

bc4.jpg

bc5.jpg

bc6.jpg

Drive and board are mounted using rubber spacers that were pulled off some ancient IBM SCSI drives. No reason for using except for them being free. Why is the drive mounted like that? Simply because it was easier, but also because with it mounted that way I had more space for the power brick and cables. I can also fit in a 50 blank spindle if I carry the power supply external.

Electronics were easy. Jack is wired directly to the proper molex connctors for the drive and board. No power switch, just unplug when it's not being used. Did take a bit to find a compatible power supply, and this one is barely correct. No LEDs or anything, easy enough to know when it's "on" and being accessed.

Best part, when it's all packed up, it can be locked. Not a problem right now, but I used to have guys at one job that "borrowed" blanks and the portable burner I had at my desk. Many times I would come in and find my blanks gone, or the burner missing. No one's doing that with this one.

Now it's not perfect, for some reason the burner I have in it right now refuses to burn. The drive has always been flakey, though. It does work fine as a reader. I plan on dropping in a DVD burner, anyway.

Thats pretty cool.. but I don't see the need for a lockable burner? Not even at a LAN really... unless you have like a 40x DVD Dual layer burner or something! :p

Like I say above, I had guys at one job who would regularily "borrow" blanks. One or two didn't bother me, but they were taking one or two every day. I actually had to hide the stuff around the office if I wanted to have them when I needed them. Plus those same guys would borrow my burner and never bring it back. I'd end up having to go searching for it when I needed to burn a disc. I don't work there now, so it's not an issue, but this still discourages people from messing with my stuff. Hard to steal blanks when they're in a locked steel case with the burner and cables.

Back