Port Trouble

This problem has been bugging me for a long time, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.. Whenever I forward a port for uTorrent, it runs perfect for 30 mins to an hour and then speeds drop down to a few kbps. It just happened again now, and it dropped from 150 to 2.6 in a matter of seconds. When I notice it, I forward a new port and all is well again, albeit for 30 minutes when the cycle restarts again. If anyone knows what's going on, or how to fix it, please let me know. Thanks :)

Edit: Router = Netgear RP614v3

Cable, DSL, or? Sounds like your modem is on its way out or your ISP is packet shaping?

I'm hoping it's the modem, because that's easily replaceable, but if it's Charter :( Just one more reason to hate them, I guess.

@Xeon711 - Cable, my modem's a 1.5+ year old motorola SB4200, but it seems to be Charter, as my regular down speed is fine, it's only a problem with torrents.

I just have one more question: why does forwarding a new port help?

Btw, thanks to both of you for your quick responses :)

A new port could help if charter has a blocking system in place that detects the port you are using for P2P (torrent) traffic and then limits throughput through said port.

This is all hypothetical of course cause I have no idea if charter really does that, but it could be one explaination.

That makes sense. It seems to be what's happening, too. I googled what you said and there are cases popping up all over the place.

Thanks for the info.

Try limiting the number of connections, it's a long shot but they might monitor the number of connections per port and then block it when it exceeds a set number.

Back