Port Forwarding Issues (Help!)

Kirbstomp

Limp Gawd
I recently set up my PC as a vent server and was able connect to it with the same PC just fine. However, people outside of my network cannot connect to it and the Ventrilo server status tool on their website also fails to connect to it.

The appropriate port (3784 is the default for vent) forwarded to my internal IP in the router settings. However, when I try any port checker, they all fail to connect through that port as well as any other port I specify as forwarded to my internal IP. So basically while my router is telling me they are being forwarded, nothing is getting through to me. I have a suspicion that my modem is causing these issues, but I am not sure how to address them.

QWEST is my ISP and my modem is a Zyxel PK5000Z that connects directly to the router and no other devices. My router is a ASUS RT-N16 running DD-WRT eko/Brainslayer build 15693.

Any help with how to troubleshoot this and get everything working would be appreciated.

In DDWRT, make sure you're clicking apply, as well as save.

Also, check your WAN IP on the ddwrt router, to make sure it's getting a public IP, I don't know about qwest or that zyxel but some modems do NAT as well, if you're double natted then you're going to have problems with port forwards, among other things.

it's funny, i recently had the same issue with dd-wrt v24 micro on a linksys wrt54g.

I honestly dont know how we got it working.
All i know is that there are two tabs for port forwarding: port forwarding and port range forwarding.

I was very confused on these tabs because they look the same.
They both have a two fields for ports, and i assume both of them are ranges? if someone can clarify that would be great

Either way, i enabled the port in BOTH of those tabs, saved and applied. And after a couple minutes it started working.

All i know is that there are two tabs for port forwarding: port forwarding and port range forwarding.

I was very confused on these tabs because they look the same.
They both have a two fields for ports, and i assume both of them are ranges? if someone can clarify that would be great

positive neither of them were Port Redirection or Port Triggering?

I haven't used DDWRT myself; I'm still using HyperWRT

Right, port forwarding has two fields because 'port from' is the source, and 'port to' is the destination port, not a range.

In DDWRT, make sure you're clicking apply, as well as save.

Also, check your WAN IP on the ddwrt router, to make sure it's getting a public IP, I don't know about qwest or that zyxel but some modems do NAT as well, if you're double natted then you're going to have problems with port forwards, among other things.

I am 99% sure the problem is not the router, but the Zyxel PK5000Z. My router is not getting a public WAN IP, but rather is being set to 192.168.0.2 by the modem (I am able to connect to the router through 192.168.1.1, the LAN IP, or 192.168.0.2, the WAN IP, apparently as a result.

Things I have since tried that did not work:

1) Turned NAT off on the modem. Could still connect to the modem, but nothing had connectivity.

2) Turned DHCP off on the modem. This really messed things up, I could not even connect to the modem to reset it, had to physically depress the reset button.

The last idea I have would be to set up the router as a DMZ device (I would have to look up how to do this as I have never used DMZ before) and that might fix my problem and let the router actually forward the ports. Also, I'm going to post some screenshots of what the router GUI looks like.

I am 99% sure the problem is not the router, but the Zyxel PK5000Z. My router is not getting a public WAN IP, but rather is being set to 192.168.0.2 by the modem (I am able to connect to the router through 192.168.1.1, the LAN IP, or 192.168.0.2, the WAN IP, apparently as a result.

Things I have since tried that did not work:

1) Turned NAT off on the modem. Could still connect to the modem, but nothing had connectivity.

2) Turned DHCP off on the modem. This really messed things up, I could not even connect to the modem to reset it, had to physically depress the reset button.

The last idea I have would be to set up the router as a DMZ device (I would have to look up how to do this as I have never used DMZ before) and that might fix my problem and let the router actually forward the ports. Also, I'm going to post some screenshots of what the router GUI looks like.

You're double-NATing. You would need to go into the Zyxel and forward the Vent port there to 192.168.0.2 also. At this point, the connection is never getting through the Zyxel for the Asus to forward it.

It would be best if you could disable the router portion of the Zyxel so that the Asus gets the public IP. Setting the router's 192.168.0.2 in the DMZ of the Zyxel should essentially forward all ports to it so that it will work as expected.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zyxelusa#p/a/u/0/XWy97JLLBGw should be what you need to do. FYI, my SpeedStream modems (and my friend's Motorola) allow me to do PPPoE on the modem, and just spit out "plain old Ethernet internet", as you would expect from a cable modem. I prefer this method over doing PPPoE on the router, as you don't have to do any special setup on the router that's tied to your internet connection.

You're double-NATing. You would need to go into the Zyxel and forward the Vent port there to 192.168.0.2 also. At this point, the connection is never getting through the Zyxel for the Asus to forward it.

It would be best if you could disable the router portion of the Zyxel so that the Asus gets the public IP. Setting the router's 192.168.0.2 in the DMZ of the Zyxel should essentially forward all ports to it so that it will work as expected.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zyxelusa#p/a/u/0/XWy97JLLBGw should be what you need to do. FYI, my SpeedStream modems (and my friend's Motorola) allow me to do PPPoE on the modem, and just spit out "plain old Ethernet internet", as you would expect from a cable modem. I prefer this method over doing PPPoE on the router, as you don't have to do any special setup on the router that's tied to your internet connection.

YES, that video looks like exactly what I need. Gonna give it a go.

Well I successfully turned the modem into a transparent bridge and have PPPoE working on the router. DD-WRT also displays my WAN IP as an external IP address. However, doing a port scan on the common ports says only 23 and 53 are open, and all my forwarded ports are closed.

Also, I cannot seem to connect to the modem settings using 192.168.0.1 after turning it into a transparent bridge, is there a way to do this or do I have to unplug from the router and connect directly to the modem?

I would try to get back into that zyxel and make sure any firewall options are turned off, I would expect that to be the case anyway with it in bridge mode but you never know, and I've never touched a zyxel.

Try connecting your modem directly to the pc and rebooting the modem, keep refreshing ipconfig to see if you get a temporary address, then browse to it's default gateway. I've had to do that with cable modems before, sometimes you can get the private ip before it synchs with the isp and pulls a wan ip.

Also, you might just be able to browse straight to 192.168.0.1 while directly connected.

Other than making sure the firewall is off before putting it into transparent bridge mode, would I also want to turn off NAT and DHCP?

Also, I cannot seem to connect to the modem settings using 192.168.0.1 after turning it into a transparent bridge, is there a way to do this or do I have to unplug from the router and connect directly to the modem?

What IP range are you having the Asus hand out for your LAN? If you're using 192.168.0.x, then the Asus will think that 192.168.0.1 is on its LAN side, and not send the 192.168.0.1 request out its WAN interface to the modem. Try setting the Asus to 192.168.1.1. It'll see the 192.168.0.x requests as not being on its own network, so it'll send them out the WAN interface where it'll get to the modem.

Other than making sure the firewall is off before putting it into transparent bridge mode, would I also want to turn off NAT and DHCP?

I would think that those would inherently be disabled by bridge mode. It's not currently providing an address to the WAN interface of the Asus via DHCP for example.

Right, port forwarding has two fields because 'port from' is the source, and 'port to' is the destination port, not a range.

that tab really should be called "Port Readdressing" or the like.
A standard port forward will forward the external port to the same internal port on specified IP. Port readdressing would be for sending an external port to a different internal port at the specified IP.

OP, you will probably want to work in the "Port Range Forwarding" tab instead.

Although either one really should work.

What IP range are you having the Asus hand out for your LAN? If you're using 192.168.0.x, then the Asus will think that 192.168.0.1 is on its LAN side, and not send the 192.168.0.1 request out its WAN interface to the modem. Try setting the Asus to 192.168.1.1. It'll see the 192.168.0.x requests as not being on its own network, so it'll send them out the WAN interface where it'll get to the modem.

I would think that those would inherently be disabled by bridge mode. It's not currently providing an address to the WAN interface of the Asus via DHCP for example.

You're probably right that they are inherently disabled when put into transparent bridge mode, but I did a factory reset on the modem and then made sure both DHCP and NAT were off anyways before doing so.

My router is handing out addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 and the router's IP is 192.168.1.1. I am in fact using port range forwarding rather than the normal port forwarding tab, everything looks fine. 192.168.0.1 will not connect me to the router still.

Nothing is getting through on these ports still, I am at a loss as to what else I can try to get these ports open.

Back