Port Forwarding in Vista... (Need help finding my ip address)

gramarye

Gawd
Hello,
I'm looking how to forward ports in Vista since the steps have changes a little.
I've already gone through the usual way of identifying my ip adress through "run>command>ipconfig /all" however, it reads an address that is about 28 digits. I'm looking for an ip address that falls somewhere around the lines of "10.0.1.xxx"

I've also noticed, in the process to make a static IP address, the options look alittle different compared to XP. (no subnet mask etc...)

If anyone has successfully managed forwarding ports through vista, i'd appreciate it a lot if you help me out. Thanks so much for your time.

if your looking for you pc's internal adderss, you should be able to go to control panel> network and shareing center, under network private network, hit view status, and then details under gereral (tabed menu, but its the only tab...:rolleyes: ) 5th or so line down ipv4 ip address = your box

if your looking for you pc's internal adderss, you should be able to go to control panel> network and shareing center, under network private network, hit view status, and then details under gereral (tabed menu, but its the only tab...:rolleyes: ) 5th or so line down ipv4 ip address = your box

Thanks for the descriptive reply. I managed to get through and actually made a static.

Now I need to figure out why I am still "not clever" eventhough the program says my ports are forwarded..

Thanks again!

Windows + R then cmd (press Enter), type: ipconfig (press Enter)

Your IP should be right there, and the one you want is the IPv4 address listed for the actual Ethernet adapter and not the stuff related to the tunneling crap or the IPv6 stuff either. Vista adds a lot of really useless stuff to the network stack (for most people).

As for port forwarding to a Vista machine, that works as always and is typically a function of a router if you've got one. Just needs that internal IP that ipconfig will show you. And opening those ports in the Windows Firewall or disabling it altogether if your router offers firewall duties - that's just a suggestion, however.

Windows + R then cmd (press Enter), type: ipconfig (press Enter)

Your IP should be right there, and the one you want is the IPv4 address listed for the actual Ethernet adapter and not the stuff related to the tunneling crap or the IPv6 stuff either. Vista adds a lot of really useless stuff to the network stack (for most people).

As for port forwarding to a Vista machine, that works as always and is typically a function of a router if you've got one. Just needs that internal IP that ipconfig will show you. And opening those ports in the Windows Firewall or disabling it altogether if your router offers firewall duties - that's just a suggestion, however.

Cool thanks for the help everyone, everything is taken care of :D

Back