Port 80 blocked on a computer

Nomad

2[H]4U
Problem Fixed

I am stumped - looking over my in-laws machine thinking it needs doused in holy water....

A machine behind a router + cable modem refuses to connect to anything on port 80.

I can chat with my in-laws over IM
I can ping from their machine out and get responses (as well as get the correct IP address from DNS)
I can take control of their machine via remote assistance
I can use IE to connect to public FTP servers

I can NOT use IE to connect to web sites
I sent firefox over remote assistance, installed it, and it will NOT connect to web sites.

I have verified that windows firewall (SP2) is turned off.

I have Avast installed - thinking that it was a virus and that maybe the machine was comprimised before an update could take place, I sent the virus cleaner over remote assistance and fired it off - no luck.

Can anyone point anything else out that I might be missing here? I am at a loss. The worst part is that I just "upgraded" their computer by giving them one of my machines - to which they now say "I understand why people dislike change" - saying that it is the machines part.....

Any help here appreciated.

no - blocking port 80 would result in never being able to surf the web....

Nomad said:
no - blocking port 80 would result in never being able to surf the web....
Couldn't be further from the truth. When you connect to websites, it doesn't come back on port 80. Blocking port 80 on your internet connection only prevents incoming connections on that port. In other words, it prevents you from hosting websites.

That being said, you said you can't connect to websites from your parents' connection? Try resolving DNS addresses?

Comcast sometimes just blocks incoming port 80...so you can't run webservers from home. Not related to outbound anyways.

Try the old TCP Winsock repair utility?

Blitzrommel said:
Couldn't be further from the truth. When you connect to websites, it doesn't come back on port 80. Blocking port 80 on your internet connection only prevents incoming connections on that port. In other words, it prevents you from hosting websites.

That being said, you said you can't connect to websites from your parents' connection? Try resolving DNS addresses?
DNS noted above - I can resolve the IP address and cannot get the website either by typing http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX or http://www.blah.com.

BTW: What port does it come back on???? -- Nevermind - found my answer.

Fark_Maniac said:
have you tried firefox? have you checked for malware?
Yes - and I have a solution...

I WAS able to get to my router's config page (which is a website hosted on port 80).....

This means that there is nothing wrong with the computer - but must be at the router. I will have my MIL power cycle the router and, if that does not work, I will go and reset the router tomorrow afternoon.

What a pain in the ass

Back