Popup Security Concern

bluntspoon

Weaksauce
Recently had a popup that showed a picture of my Hard Drive folders. Needless to say that pissed me off somewhat. It was for some security software.

Am after some general pointers on software and places to hit to tighten up the security a bit.

Am running XP Pro.

(if this is in the wrong forum, mods please feel free to move.)

it's probably some sort of activex control. i believe you can disable them in internet settings somewhere

most of those popups I got were caused my microsoft messenger.

I disabled messenger in outlook express options.
I uninstalled messenger in add/remove windows components.
I remaned the messenger folder to messenger.off and ran a registry cleaner to clean up the trash.

no more pop ups.

Also Spoon, check out Black Vipers services guide. You can disable anything which compromises security and you dont need.

http://www.blackviper.com/

Umm, that's the wrong Windows Messenger.

The windows messenger that causes Message Boxes to appear is the messenger service. It doesn't allow nifty controls to display anything on your box, it's just a message box.

(Net stop messenger) but get a firewall, either XP's firewall, or a hardware firewall.

Now, I imagine this is an IE window, with a control in it. I would make sure to turn IE's security to medium or high. And Make sure that you are running a firewall, and run an anti spyware app as well.

Back