Popular Minecraft Pokemon Mod Stopped

monkeymagick

[H]News
It appears, Nintendo has finally put a nail into the coffin of Pixelmon, a very popular Pokemon mod for Minecraft. And in that moment the hearts of many-a-child have sunken. Posted on the Pixelmon homepage, the developer says that they have received a cease-and-desist letter from Nintendo and will comply with the orders. Nintendo have recently been on a copyright takedown spree in the past year, requesting the stoppage of Pokemon Uranium and Another Metroid II Remake.

An administrator by the name Isi told Kotaku that they were expecting it to come eventually, "Especially now, with mind of an Pokémon game in-dev for the Switch." Another possibility is that Nintendo could be planning to release an official Pokémon expansion to the Switch version of Minecraft.

Your kids can rejoice with the potential Switch version, but goodbye beer money.

Last edited:
Gotta wonder whether it's the legal system forcing the IP holders to keep their stake in the IP, or why company wants IP to die rather than let people have it live on spiritually.

Doesn't make sense in the context when you are not making any off it.

For pokemon? Sure. For stuff like Chrono Trigger, mind baffling.

Anyone who makes an unoffical mod of any Nintendo game should be under the assumption that they'll be smacked. Especially Pokémon and Mario. Not hard to see that Nintendo would burn the world around your development team and family to protect their cash cows.

Doesn't make sense in the context when you are not making any off it.

For pokemon? Sure. For stuff like Chrono Trigger, mind baffling.
While I agree with some older video game IPs, most can still turn a profit. Square-Enix is still reaping from sales of FF7-related items, a game released over 20 years ago. The remake will make bank. Chrono Trigger is only 21 yeras, but will be profitable with the eventual sequel when they get to it.

Another case, lots of old Marvel IPs that most didn't care too much about 30 years ago are making Disney billions.

It appears, Nintendo has finally put a nail into the coffin of Pixelmon, a very popular Pokemon mod for Minecraft. And in that moment the hearts of many-a-child have sunken. Posted on the Pixelmon homepage, the developer says that they have received a cease-and-desist letter from Nintendo and will comply with the orders. Nintendo have recently been on a copyright takedown spree in the past year, requesting the stoppage of Pokemon Uranium and Another Metroid II Remake.

An administrator by the name Isi told Kotaku that they were expecting it to come eventually, "Especially now, with mind of an Pokémon game in-dev for the Switch." Another possibility is that Nintendo could be planning to release an official Pokémon expansion to the Switch version of Minecraft.

Your kids can rejoice with the potential Switch version, but goodbye beer money.

Just a heads up, the front page link to this thread is broken (or at least it is on my end)

The the numbers at the end of the URL seems to be the issue. (This thread is 1940170 but the front page URL has 1940171)

I'm also seeing what warmon6 posted. Getting a hard forums search page in white. Had to view this from the actual forums themselves.

With that said, why do people think they can use someone else ideas/liking/property without consent? Even if you are not getting paid for said content, you can't just use it anyway you see fit. There are brand standards, guidelines and other things to be consider from the company who owns said property.

That's like saying I can use the [H] logo and color styles on my site because hey I like the way it looks or it may be poplar with my customers. Oh I'm not talking tech but gardening so it should not matter ... right?

While I agree with some older video game IPs, most can still turn a profit. Square-Enix is still reaping from sales of FF7-related items, a game released over 20 years ago. The remake will make bank. Chrono Trigger is only 21 yeras, but will be profitable with the eventual sequel when they get to it.

Another case, lots of old Marvel IPs that most didn't care too much about 30 years ago are making Disney billions.
Square is still making money on Chrono trigger. There was a port in the DS few years ago. It is going to be part of the SNES classic and probably a future steam release like with their other mobile versions of their classic rpgs. They have a right to protect their IPs.

Just a heads up, the front page link to this thread is broken (or at least it is on my end)

The the numbers at the end of the URL seems to be the issue. (This thread is 1940170 but the front page URL has 1940171)
Thank you!

There will never be a CT sequel. The original talent just isnt there anymore, there is too much dissention between producers, writers and programmers etc. Sadly. Though with the enix merger and the loss of Square USA not having a ruined third title in rhe aeries is a good thing!

There will never be a CT sequel. The original talent just isnt there anymore, there is too much dissention between producers, writers and programmers etc. Sadly. Though with the enix merger and the loss of Square USA not having a ruined third title in rhe aeries is a good thing!

I'm sure they'll make one and they'll make it as soon as there are too few people who worked on the original left to outweigh the demand to make a sequel. The Sequel will be made by a totally new team and it will be completely untrue to the source material. Come to think of it, that's already nearly happened. I'm 100% certain that if "I am Setsuna" was a run-away success they would have contracted Tokyo RPG Factory to put together a Chrono Trigger sequel. They could definitely do it "I am Setsuna" is mechanically very much like Chrono Trigger.

one thing i have always wondered is why the companies dont embrace the mod community in a more direct way. what i mean is why not hold "events" in the community and the top rated mod becomes officially sanctioned and sold. that kind of thing. there is a TON of good creative stuff in the mod community that just would never come to light in a dev studio because it involves risk

They need to stop using the internet as we know it and use the Dark Web to distribute their mods/remakes. I know most of you on here know how to access it and use it, download etc. So if the modders do this they will not get caught. Nintendo or any other company would not waste their time trying to find you when there are much more serious crap posted on the Dark Web, that the FBI has a hard time taking down. If I knew how to code and mod this is the way I would do it. Just linking Tor links in forums to my mods/remakes then Nintendo can go suck a 8====> LOL

Gotta wonder whether it's the legal system forcing the IP holders to keep their stake in the IP, or why company wants IP to die rather than let people have it live on spiritually.

I think the method most companies takes is the wait and see approach.

Let someone build something new and test the waters. If it succeeds, kill it and make money off the demand left with your own product. If it dies without any help from you, then it took care of itself.

Back