Popular Games you left unfinished and why

Half-Life. I keep trying to install Episode 3 but Steam won't download it.

Yes, that was snark directed at Valve.

More seriously:
Daggerfall
Oblvion
Skyrim
Fallout
Fallout2
Fallout3
Fallout:NV

Last edited:
bioshock is the only game I have finished, twice, I like the setting of rapture,,maybe I just have too many games and I jump around in them til I get bored and pick up another partially finished one to work on. I'm older and it takes me time to play thru a game unlike my nephew who chews thru any game in a few hours, Inr played Everquest ffor 14 years , but am taking a break you don't finish a game like that anyways. I probably have 50 or 60 games I have yet to start, on pc and all 3 consoles ,I'm set for life.

Usually it was a serious hardware fault where I lost my saved games, not backing up didn't help either. Plus I was almost finished said game so there was not point in playing through all over again.

I think I can add Killzone to my list. how in the hell did this game become popular? its one of the worst games I have played and makes even the Bond 007 games look like AAA titles. and the aiming is shit too which is making it even more frustrating.

the stalker and fallout games. Gave us open worlds, but if you stray from the story the game breaks and goes to shit.

Stalker, i wanted to like it and finish it, but the moment you get into the world, your forced in a direction but able to stray, but it you stray, things just get screwed up and getting back on the story path just does not work, things come unwound and you end up unable to do fuck all.

I think I can add Killzone to my list. how in the hell did this game become popular? its one of the worst games I have played and makes even the Bond 007 games look like AAA titles. and the aiming is shit too which is making it even more frustrating.

Forgot about that one when I made my earlier list. Not only is it a console shooter and thus automatically sucks some (controls) but the "story" and gameplay are both "meh". Never did finish it and am also wondering how it got so popular.

Far Cry - Played maybe 45 minutes. Passed the first little camp site place killing all the guys, then I got in a jeep/truck thing and headed out to the other side of the island to the shipwreck. About 4 minutes into driving, while I was goofing off, I accidentally flipped the vehicle and was on foot. Walking that far, on foot, was so long and boring that I just gave up. I loaded it up a few months later, got to the shipwreck, killed a bunch of things and realized... it wasn't worth my time. So I stopped playing.

Splinter Cell: Conviction - Played about half an hour. Couldn't get used to the camera setup. Not a fan of 3rd person view and this game didn't seem worth it.

Wings of Prey - Was looking for a "realistic" arcade flight sim.. what I got was something way more involved that I wanted to have to learn how to play. 10 minutes recorded by Steam.

F.E.A.R - Got 5 hours into this game. Need to go back and complete it, game just didn't really pull me in enough to keep me entertained. :eek:

The Chronicles of Riddick - Could not get into this game either. Cheesy gameplay. Love the movies though, especially the first one.

TrackMania United - Just got a new steering wheel setup for my PC, wanted to test it out. Got this game, realized it wouldn't work with the steering wheel, stopped playing immediately. :D

Witcher really stands out to me... since I tried to get into it on 3 different occasions and never made it more than a few hours in.

Witcher really stands out to me... since I tried to get into it on 3 different occasions and never made it more than a few hours in.

That game's great until about Act3, then the storyline kinda implodes and loses focus.

Popular game that I couldn't finish was MGS2. Just couldn't get into it, and once Splinter Cell came onto the scene, I really couldn't get into MGS2 due to its control scheme.

TrackMania United - Just got a new steering wheel setup for my PC, wanted to test it out. Got this game, realized it wouldn't work with the steering wheel, stopped playing immediately. :D
I personally don't trust any of their games after the starforce (? I think that's the one) fiasco with their free version a while back. (Nations I think) The DRM royally screwed up the optical drive to the point where I couldn't write any discs anymore. (DRM on a free game... yeah, makes sense, really it doesn't)

Made it further than I ever did. Never made it out of the first area.

I honestly couldn't stand FFX. The only reason I completed it is because it was a FF game and in those days I felt borderline forced to play it all the way through. That was back when we started to get the especially weird costumes, linear maps, so-so music, and bad acting that have plagued the last few. Plus, the entire concept of masquerading a bad card game as blitzball was irritating.

I know I come across as one of those bitter "it was better back in my day!" types, but I really do feel justified in this case. #8 sucked as a game, but at least made up with it via a cool setting and story. With X, we had neither. Personally, I'd love a remake of #6 in 3D.

This. FFX was never finished and X2 lays unplayed. I haven't touched a FF game since and probably never will.

only one off the top of my head is GTA:SA...god I hated that game so much.

Fable 3 - Ugg... Too childish.
Borderlands 2 - Boring game. Might be great multiplayer, but snooze fest as a single player.
Assasins Creed 3 - More of the same from the previous games. played for a couple hours, then got tired of it.

Fallout
Fallout2
Fallout3
Fallout:NV

lol, stop buying them?

For me:
GTAIV (PS3) - Didn't like the characters, got bored

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) - Really liked this game, got over 50% of the way done and sort of just forgot about it until now thinking through my collection. A new game I was hyped up for probably came out causing me to shelf this one. May try to go back and finish it.

Metro2033 - Got it for free, didn't even started it yet. Wouldn't have gotten it otherwise so not really motivated to play it.

Total War Shogun 2 - Played it for a couple hours when it first came out. Not sure why I stopped, I like RTS games but not really motivated to play this one.

X3 Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude - Steam sale purchase. Don't really want to put the time in to get into these. I played X3 and loved it, but I know they can be time consuming

Aliens vs Predator - Meh, asked for it as a birthday gift since I really didn't have any ideas, should have just asked for money.

I used to force myself to play through games to finish them but now my mentality is if I'm not enjoying myself why waste my time. I really think about all my game purchases now and if I'll actually play through and finish them (unless their really cheap or free).

Forgot about that one when I made my earlier list. Not only is it a console shooter and thus automatically sucks some (controls) but the "story" and gameplay are both "meh". Never did finish it and am also wondering how it got so popular.

I played Stalker SoC really late, with the complete patch and other tweaks. I don't remember coming across any of these anomalies (pun intended =D)... game play was smooth, graphics nice, and free open roaming didn't break stuff for me anyway.

Now when i was playing Stalker CoP though, it was closer to its release date, mods weren't as finished even though the 'complete' mod was out. Had way more problems with CoP.

And is it just me, or did CoP run shittier and look worse than SoC?

I'm about 120 hours into Skyrim and not finished, keep changing characters (sneaky kajit, elitist mage, racist nord uber-viking).

I quit Witcher 2 after making it to the fight with the NPC with similar abilities to you, think I main quested too much and got in too deep and was save game trapped in a fight I couldn't win. Planning on going back, hear with the patches it ramps more smoothly. (Then again, not sure when I'll find time... damn steam queue).

Also... Legend of Grimrock. I used to love the genre, I can't bring myself to leave things unsolved, but I also can't be bothered to discover everything so I just end up playing something else.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 13 - SO boring. And I played through 10-2 and 12. I gave up near the end of chapter 9 (or chapter 10 - can't remember).
Persona 3 - Terrible combat, and the whole tower of random generated floors is lazy design.
MotorStorm - After a while I get bored of every racing game. Either the races get too hard or it feels like too much repetition.
Half Life - Stopped when I reached Xen. Suddenly being in this mysterious space world killed the atmosphere for me. I should replay the game; it has great level design.
Bioshock - Got stuck at some point and never felt the urge to look up what to do.
Resistence: Fall of Men - Reminded me why I shouldn't buy console FPS games. Even on the easiest difficulty I die during the first level. Just can't seem to aim at all with the gamepad.

Lately I've not been buying games at all. I have a backlog of about 400 games. Mostly console games bought dirt cheap at the flea market.

I can't even remember the last game I actually finished. Maybe Mario Bros on SNES

Far Cry - Played maybe 45 minutes. Passed the first little camp site place killing all the guys, then I got in a jeep/truck thing and headed out to the other side of the island to the shipwreck. About 4 minutes into driving, while I was goofing off, I accidentally flipped the vehicle and was on foot. Walking that far, on foot, was so long and boring that I just gave up. I loaded it up a few months later, got to the shipwreck, killed a bunch of things and realized... it wasn't worth my time. So I stopped playing.

I played through Far Cry twice to the end where that guy kicks you out of the helicopter to that cliff edge, never made it past there, all the while playing on extreme difficulty. I learned later by pressing "G" I could throw rocks to trick the enemies...

Spore: Boring, lame stupid. I bought it because of the hype surrounding this new style of game

Dead Space: Started it, forgot about it, never played it again

Bioshock: Just couldn't get into it. No where near as good as the hype IMO

Mass Effect: I actually liked this game, but after getting pretty well into it I stopped playing for a couple months, when I got back, didn't really remember much if anything in the story and didn't feel like starting from the beginning either.

Far Cry 2: I almost finished this game, but I just couldn't stand the repetitive nature any longer and wasn't feeling masochistic enough to try and finish it.

Tomb Raider and Hitman series. I group these together because I got both as a bundle package from one of the many Steam holiday sales. I've tried both but couldn't get into either one.

Dead Space: 1st great, 2nd pretty good, 3rd boring.. still couldn't finish any

Hitman Absolutions: Played a little, got bored and quit

Tombraider: Played and said, "Ooooh pretty", got to some lame puzzle and quit

Bioshock Infinite: Just plain boring

Games I have completed and loved:

Far Cry 3: Beat twice, the second time on hardest difficulty and all assists off

Metro 2033: Wish it wasn't so linear but wow, epic game (playing Metro LL now)

Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim: Waaaay too many hours, such a glutton for these

The Witcher 2: Beautiful game, very fun, hotnesssss, getting a little bored on second go around though

I don't really have time to play anymore so I make sure to finish what I start. Being honest, sounds like some have ADHD. lol.

I never finished Skyrim though. Played it for a bit. Liked it, just never got around to finishing it.

Zelda majoras mask.. Because the n64 zelda games sucked balls and I could only take finishing one before I wanted to spit on it as an insult to the good zelda games on NES and SNES gameboy.

I wanted to kill my self like bill murry did in groundhog day repeating the amount of suck over and over again the same 3 fucking days of boring ass suckage on a time limit. ocarina of time already sucked enough I played it because I wasted my money and was stuck in my own personal hell because of it. They did not have to do this to make zelda games on n64 suck more but they did and I can not take it. I will never play it again. the worst game nintendo has ever made end of subject.

tumblr_lyrqlbaC271qzdf0go1_500.gif

toaster-death-o.gif

And other games I will not name.

Last edited:
Soldier of Fortune 2 - After the subway scene I got the memo that it was really only intended to played in multi. so I did...for 999 hours straight!

F.E.A.R series, tried them all, ended up bored after a few hours.
Kingdom Hearts, bored the crap out of me, wonky camera made me nauseous
Oblivion+Skyrim, takes waaayyyy too long to get to do anything
Dead Rising, just couldn't get into it with no story direction
Any Tom Clancy game ever.
All Hitman games up to Absolution, haven't tried that one yet.

I'm playing FC3, FC:BD, and Metro LL now, but I'm not sure if any will get finished, FC3 is repetitive repetitive. FC:BD is as well, but it's got some good humor packed into it. and Metro: LL the story is collapsing and it's so linear it's claustrophobic, so all 3 of these games have to be played in small bits.

I want another KOTOR, a game that over a decade later I still get a hair up my ass to install and spend the entire weekend doing a marathon playthrough.

Zelda majoras mask.. Because the n64 zelda games sucked balls and I could only take finishing one before I wanted to spit on it as an insult to the good zelda games on NES and SNES gameboy.

I wanted to kill my self like bill murry did in groundhog day repeating the amount of suck over and over again the same 3 fucking days of boring ass suckage on a time limit. ocarina of time already sucked enough I played it because I wasted my money and was stuck in my own personal hell because of it. They did not have to do this to make zelda games on n64 suck more but they did and I can not take it. I will never play it again. the worst game nintendo has ever made end of subject.

And other games I will not name.

Majora's Mask was definitely not the best game, but Ocarina of Time? That's one of my favorite games of all time! How you can say something bad about it? And if you think Majora's Mask was the worst Zelda game you must have not played the Wind Waker.

A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are arguably the best two Zelda sequels ever.

I wanted to kill my self like bill murry did in groundhog day repeating the amount of suck over and over again the same 3 fucking days of boring ass suckage on a time limit.
LOL, I forgot about Majora's Mask. I had the same reaction as you except I did not think of that movie - perfect comparison, lol :D

I read there are ways around the time-limit though, and even a glitch to remove it completely... so maybe I'll give is another go. It's suppose to be the darkest and most emotional of the series, which that intrigues me a bit... I just felt so stressed out the first time I played it.

Okami was the last decent Zelda game :p

I almost couldn't finish Twilight Princess for how sucky ho-hum it all felt. Lame boring story with annoying side-kick character, no humour, no darkness... just very middle-of-the-road feeling. I hadn't given Skyward Sword a chance due to being bummed about the series, but moreso because it seems to rely more on motion control which is another thing I found annoying with TP

Fallout 3 New Vegas - Game started with a fetch quest, lost interest immediately (and I loved Fallout 3).

Witcher and Witcher 2: Clunky controls/combat mechanics ruined it for me

X-Com Enemy Unknown: Played the demo and couldn't get into it, despite generally loving turn based strategy games (Shining Force, FFT, etc)

Persona 3: I'm like an hour or so from the end and just stopped playing for some reason.

:D

I cannot stand all the loading the first Far Cry does, its not really a open world when it hiccups that often forcing a loading. Mainly bad when driving. the cone of fire for the guns sucked too.

Old games were harder in general since most of them were based off of the coin-op mentality of "keep 'em playing and keep 'em paying."

F.E.A.R series, tried them all, ended up bored after a few hours.
Kingdom Hearts, bored the crap out of me, wonky camera made me nauseous
Oblivion+Skyrim, takes waaayyyy too long to get to do anything
Dead Rising, just couldn't get into it with no story direction
Any Tom Clancy game ever.
All Hitman games up to Absolution, haven't tried that one yet.

I'm playing FC3, FC:BD, and Metro LL now, but I'm not sure if any will get finished, FC3 is repetitive repetitive. FC:BD is as well, but it's got some good humor packed into it. and Metro: LL the story is collapsing and it's so linear it's claustrophobic, so all 3 of these games have to be played in small bits.

I want another KOTOR, a game that over a decade later I still get a hair up my ass to install and spend the entire weekend doing a marathon playthrough.

I'm surprised. FEAR 1 is a staple gameplay wise. Really fun game.

Back