- Joined
- May 18, 1997
- Messages
- 58,510
<sniff>I remember just "yesterday" when it took 40 of these to make a terabyte.</sniff>
Now not only do I have single drive TB storage, I went "green" too! Some of you might be wondering why I bought the "server" version of the drives. They have a cool feature on them that the desktop version does not and since I will not be using them as primary storage, I wanted to see if it provided any positive impact for me on a desktop machine. They are a tad higher in price, but we will see how they work. Got a couple of them to run a new RAID 1 array on replacing two 400GB and two 250GB drives that I had in RAID 1 arrays for storage of movies, music, and pictures. One of my 400GB drives that I have had since its release went to the big hard drive graveyard in the sky.
Now not only do I have single drive TB storage, I went "green" too! Some of you might be wondering why I bought the "server" version of the drives. They have a cool feature on them that the desktop version does not and since I will not be using them as primary storage, I wanted to see if it provided any positive impact for me on a desktop machine. They are a tad higher in price, but we will see how they work. Got a couple of them to run a new RAID 1 array on replacing two 400GB and two 250GB drives that I had in RAID 1 arrays for storage of movies, music, and pictures. One of my 400GB drives that I have had since its release went to the big hard drive graveyard in the sky.
Active Power Management - WD GreenPower drives monitor work load and automatically invoke idle mode whenever possible to further reduce unnecessary power consumption. Drive recovery time from idle mode is less than one second, providing seamless power management between the drive and the host controller.