poor wireless signal

r3g

Limp Gawd
well i had a Linksys WRT54G Router, and Linksys PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster + a Airlink 10dbi Gain antanna on my desktop. the router was starting to die and wasnt giving me as much signal as i wanted so i swaped it for a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 Mimo router. im about 22 feet away from the router yet im only getting 70% signal. to put it simply... wtf?

a friend of mine said it might be because i dont have a mimo reciever on my desktop, but i do have a 10dbi gain antanna and at that range i should see a differnce not get the same signal the Linksys gave me right?

distance from my desk to router (its sitting on that desk)
nonameng6.jpg

thats the antanna... nothing blocking the signal at all not even the tv.
noname1ub3.jpg

here is everything in my setup:

RangeMax
RangeMax Wireless Routers and Gateways - NETGEAR.com

Wireless Adapter
Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Adapters/Wireless-G/WMP54GS

Gain Antanna
Airlink101 : Products: ASB-10MA

Nothing to do with your receiving end not being MIMO...I've done plenty of MIMO router/AP setups, where clients were plain old G, and even B, and still saw the huge increase in range of MIMO over old G router/APs.

In that picture..can't see if there's a line of site between the router, and NIC, in each room.

There's also wall construction, other interference in that environment.

Tried changing channels..such as 1 or 11?

tried 1 and 11, no change. the only thing blocking the signal is the edge of my tv, other then that its a clear shot to the router. are you sure its not the reciever? because my notebook at the same range gets perfect signal

Don't worry too much about the signal strength as most apps show you. I've had perfectly stable 54mb connections with 3MBytes bandwidth @ 27% signal strength (about -75dB).

Get Netstumbler or something to see what your actual signal is. Better than -70dB, you're in good shape.

I've got a -50dB signal on my laptop and about -50ish on my AP in my house, both show relatively low percentage, 60% or so. Target for most 802.11 hardware is -50 to -70, it is possible to have too strong of a signal cause problems.

this is the 2nd one.

but im getting -52 so i guess im good.

If the signal was much stronger it would be the same as having the radio so loud you can't make out the words.

As I mentioned, the signal strength percentage is just about useless.

ok my signal was -70 but it goes down to -80 randomly for a while -_-

my notebook on the other hand stays at a constant -65. so maybe i need a mimo reciever after all?

no im upstairs. the kitchen is directly below the room with the router but the microwave hasnt been on all day. and this isnt happening on my notebook.

Certain cards are more susceptible to interference than others.

Are you near a circuit breaker box? Fridge, freezer? Any high power draw? AC?

nope. the closest electronics to me is me tv. i plan on getting the matching netgear usb mimo adapter anyway.. think thatll help?

Could be that your current adapter has problems, if so, the MIMO unit will help. If not, its outside interference, then its a whole different can of worms.

"the only thing blocking the signal is the edge of my tv"

You know there's a lot of lead in the glass of a TV.
Coated window glass could turn your omni into a directional.

Try moving the TV, and/or
Turning off those speakers, and/or
Moving the antenna, and/or
Use the original antenna.

Look for a change in signal strength.

If that doesn't work, there's always this! ;)

The problem is just your wirless adapter. There are some known issues with the Broadcom Speedbooster chipset in the Linksys card.

a thread about a simmilar problem:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread12610.html

The reason:
http://homepage.mac.com/techedgeezine/2004-0402_g-turboshootout10.htm

second page:

"Reason? The flakey new Broadcom 54g "Speed Boost" chipset! It's REALLY to bad, With such a well thought-out product, Buffalo should had dumped Broadcom for Atheros, Prism, TI or anyone else but Broadcom."

- that reffers to a Buffalo card, but linksys has the same problem
hope that helps

I don't think so. I've had several of these routers in my home, 100+ customers running hundreds of routers and AP's.

The "Speedbooster" chipset may be new in the WHR3 G54, but the WRT54G, GL, GS, etc, all use a Speedboost capable Broadcom chipset. The Speedboost, turbo, whatever, is available in the original release WRT54G if you use different firmware such as DD-WRT, openWRT, etc.

I'm not saying Atheros is not better, I really haven't gotten into much Atheros based hardware aside from DLink, however the WHR G54S and WRT54G line are not defective by default. I've used too many for too long for that to be the case.

edit: looked at the date, that review is two years old. Probably some firmware issue with the early Buffalo as it is the only bad review I've ever read for a Buffalo wireless device.

Back