Poor Windows 7 performance after hibernation

smodtactical

Limp Gawd
After I come out of my hibernation with my desktop, the system tends to be quite laggy. Switching between apps is very slow and even clicking different tabs in chrome is laggy. I checked task manager and there are no processes present that are taking up resources. I tried to search for a solution but most all people who discuss this are talking about lag in going from hibernation to windows which isn't my problem.

I ran ccleaner, malware bytes, and have Avast Antivirus.. makes no difference. Restarting my system brings back the normal speed and responsiveness.

I am running Windows 7 X64 SP1. My specifications are in my signature.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Have you recently updated video or sound drivers? A driver issue can cause lag after resuming from hibernate.

Is anything coming up in Event Viewer?

Have you tried running chkdsk?

Have you verified you have all of Windows updates installed, in case there was a fix?

Also try rebuilding the Hibernation file (which can cause memory issues). Open an elevated cmd prompt and type in powercfg -h off Reboot the station then type in powercfg -h on and verify your power settings put it to hibernate correctly.

After rebuilding, if you still have issues, try different hibernation file sizes. From elevated cmd prompt, powercfg -h -size 50 for 50% and try powercfg -h -size 100 for 100% memory size

Finally, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55M/#support_Download_30

A couple other things that are probably not the solution but still worth a try:
  • Try to right click on Avast, Avast Shields -> disable permanently. Reboot. Log on and put the PC into hibernation (with Avast still disabled). Then bring the system out of hibernation.
  • Run a system file check. From elevated cmd prompt, type in sfc /scannow. You will need to have a Windows 7 DVD in the drive bay. If you don't have the disk, you can styll type in sfc /verifyonly to at least check, but not repair.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to definitely try it out and report back. Thanks guys.

Back