Poor performance

miro

Limp Gawd
I recently made a reservoir/air trap out of a Bawls bottle. But I took it out because there was too much turbulence in it; it created a lot of small air bubbles in the loop. Not sure how the air got in, everything was sealed, but it was there. Anyway, there's no longer any air visible in the system, but my temps still haven't gone down to where they were before the res. Motherboard is reading cpu temp of 47C under load, ambient of 35C. I think those are a bit high, room doesn't feel like any more than 30 C. But still, it was running about 7C above ambient before.
Any ideas?

miro

Ambient temps of 35C? That is nuts. 35C = 95F so that's not right. Are you saying the processor idle temps are 35C?

A room (ambient) temperature of 30C? That is nuts as well. 30C = 86F which is sweltering and barely liveable indoors. Normal room temperature of 72F is a little more than 22C (22.2222 degrees).

Even the best watercooling can barely maintain 7 degrees above ambient, and the average system will probably do 10+ over, so with that and the above in mind, check your temps and report back to us.

-OMP

Yes, I mean 96 F ambient on the mobo, and 80-85 room temp. I'm in a rather cramped dorm with no air conditioning.
And at my parents house it stayed around 25C ambient most of the time, with load temps usually around 32-33 C, occasionally spike around 35 C.

miro

miro said:
Yes, I mean 96 F ambient on the mobo, and 80-85 room temp. I'm in a rather cramped dorm with no air conditioning.
And at my parents house it stayed around 25C ambient most of the time, with load temps usually around 32-33 C, occasionally spike around 35 C.

miro

Your mobo temp is NOT ambient temp. Ambient temp is the room temp. Since your mobo itself generates a certain amount of heat on it's own in addition to any heat soak it receives by local componants, your mobo temp will always be above ambient. Also, temp readings from onboard sensors are notoriously inaccurate and can be off as much as +/- 10*C.You generally want to use your reported system temps as references against themselves. I.E. if your CPU is usually showing a certain temp, start worrying if it climbs a significant amount over what you notrmally see. Also, if your computer runs stable, you probably don't need to worry a whole lot. (although lowering temps is always a good thing)

That said, get a window AC unit or a fan to blow cooler air from outside or from an adjoining room.

We have 3 fans blowing air around the room (one in the window), and that helps somewhat. But the college won't let us put in a window unit. They say "it's too much wattage." :mad: :(

miro

Ha! too much wattage. Like no one has a hotplate, coffeemaker or microwave in their rooms!

Ambient temps of 35C? That is nuts. 35C = 95F so that's not right. Are you saying the processor idle temps are 35C?

A room (ambient) temperature of 30C? That is nuts as well. 30C = 86F which is sweltering and barely liveable indoors. Normal room temperature of 72F is a little more than 22C (22.2222 degrees).

Even the best watercooling can barely maintain 7 degrees above ambient, and the average system will probably do 10+ over, so with that and the above in mind, check your temps and report back to us.

-OMP

You've never been in a room without AC before? wow your pampered dude lol. Its 28C in this room right now, 30C isnt 'sweltering' or 'barely livable', shit you must be pampered to think you cant live at 30C lol :confused: :confused:

At any rate, I agree, an idle temp of 35 is actually admirable, I have no idea why you're complaining. 7C over ambient is quite an achievement as well, i'd just be content with what you have and stop complaining :).

With my wc im idling at 45C right now, so if ANYONE has the right to complain ... its me lol, 45s a lil high eh :). Not much I can do about it though.

Pecos said:
Ha! too much wattage. Like no one has a hotplate, coffeemaker or microwave in their rooms!

Microwave, coffee maker, fridge, 3 computers (counting the xbox), big set of speakers, 21'' and 17'' monitors, and 23'' tv here. Apparently none of these take as much power as a 3500btu air conditioner. :rolleyes:

And that's 35 C motherboard temp, not idle cpu temp. CPU is never idle, so not sure what that temp would be. :p

Edit: Idle for 30 minutes, temp is 38 C, 4 above motherboard.
And OMP, if you ever get tired of august in NY, come spend a week here in WV. :D

double check to make sure your fans are running? that's my best guess (happened to me once)

miro said:
We have 3 fans blowing air around the room (one in the window), and that helps somewhat. But the college won't let us put in a window unit. They say "it's too much wattage." :mad: :(

miro

You should go to Best Buy and pull one of the data tags off one of their shelf A/C models. Pick one with a nice low draw, and then get specs for all the other appliances they allow. I can almost guarantee, with how efficient current AC models are, that the other appliances will have higher wattage requirements. Once you have collected your evidence, make your case. Make sure you cover any arguments they may have before you make your case..

thewhiteguy said:
Here in California we call these people "Girlie men" :D

Well, I live in Rochester, NY...30C is really damn hot for us. Temperatures are relative anyway. So what if I call 85+ degrees in a room sweltering? :p

30C is unbearable if you have above about 80% relative humiity. 80% is a low day around here. It's not that it's so hot, but there is so much moisture in the air that your sweat doesn't evaporate, and your body temperature actually climbs because of your sweat on your skin trapping even more heat. We have old people and young kids DIE here during the summer when the heat pours on. When I was in Lubbock for collegfe 30C was nice. Here it's miserable.

OneMadPoptart said:

-OMP

My room gets up there in temps too, and it's livable.....not comfy, but livable ;)

The hottest my room ever got was 110f ....part of the reason I went water...I don't OC anymore, but I wanted a rock-stable gamerig, regardless of how stupid hot my room gets, I wanted to be sure this thing can take it.

If you ever saw the house, and the factors that make it this hot, you would fully understand....even my roomates didnt beleive me at first until I opened my door last week.....90f. My rom is often hotter than outdoors....pretty sad. WIth 4 window fans running it's about 73 right now....once hte sun comes up...ooh boy...its will be about 82-83 before 1pm.

Hmm, went home for the weekend and now that I'm back temps are much closer to what I'm used to. 35-36C on the motherboard (much warmer than the room at this point, i'm assuming the sensor is off), 42C CPU load. Guess there was still some minute amount of air in the system. Anyway I'm happy.

miro

miro said:
Hmm, went home for the weekend and now that I'm back temps are much closer to what I'm used to. 35-36C on the motherboard (much warmer than the room at this point, i'm assuming the sensor is off), 42C CPU load. Guess there was still some minute amount of air in the system. Anyway I'm happy.

miro
wish i was hitting 42C load. More like 42C idle.

Yeha dry heat I love, we never get it though because I live right on the great lakes (rel. hum is always > 75%, even on the nicest day). I find it really funny being Canadian and not minding temps of above 30C to hear all you americans (who normally rag on Canadians for our apparently cold weather :confused: ). Humidity sucks, but temps over 30C are fine, even at 90% hum. Hell I don't even mind 35C :)

HiTech-Hate said:
Yeha dry heat I love, we never get it though because I live right on the great lakes (rel. hum is always > 75%, even on the nicest day). I find it really funny being Canadian and not minding temps of above 30C to hear all you americans (who normally rag on Canadians for our apparently cold weather :confused: ). Humidity sucks, but temps over 30C are fine, even at 90% hum. Hell I don't even mind 35C :)
You've just been cold so much thet you enjoy the heat now! ;)

Back