Poor Performance with Intel Core Duo

doc6886

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
84
Any ideas why this performance is so bad? :mad:

image.fetch.php
 
Because its ultra high latency DDR2-667? That has little to do with the CPU in this case.

Wait, i replied after nullo and the OP's reply to that, yet my post is 2nd from top?
 
LOL robber, I noticed that too. Weird...

Anyway, does ultra high latency memory make for poor gaming performance (FPS)?
 
The 667MHz FSB on the CPU only has 5.3GB/s bandwidth. Getting ~4GB/s in Sandra memory bandwidth isn't unusual.

If Yonah had a higher FSB, the benchmark score would be higher. The 955X and 945 benchmarks below it probably have a 800MHz FSB processor. Dual channel DDR2-667 is overkill on those chipsets too (10.6GB/s memory bandwidth vs 6.4GB/s FSB bandwidth).
 
doc6886 said:
LOL robber, I noticed that too. Weird...

Anyway, does ultra high latency memory make for poor gaming performance (FPS)?

Eh, you won't notice it too badly in most games. Is this a laptop you're running the yonah on?
 
Yep, just got this puppy and I'm quite disappointed so far. Runs much slower in everything than my A64 3800 NC...
 
doc6886 said:
Yep, just got this puppy and I'm quite disappointed so far. Runs much slower in everything than my A64 3800 NC...

What video card does it have?

And what speed HDD?

Laptops in general are pretty sluggish due to lacking in these features. I messed around with a Core Duo notebook, and it didnt feel any smoother than a Pentium M. The MOD Core Duos are better since the IO bottlenecks are reduced.
 
It's got a 7900GTX and an 80GB 7200 RPM Seagate. I just read a review of this CPU on NewEgg and apparently a guy upped the FSB to 800mhz and got it to 2.9ghz... at 83C load temps... He says this is safe and that he noticed a big performance boost. Should I try doing this? I'll go check my current temps right now...
 
Ah, I see. So should I try overclocking this even though it's in my laptop? Current temp reading is 26C (idle). What is the max safe temp for these CPUs do you think? Also what do you think the max safe voltage is? I don't want to burn this out (I've never overclocked any laptop stuff before so I don't know much about this). In fact I've never overclocked any Intel chips at all!
 
Eh, though RMClock and Clockgen, you might be able to OC it through windows. As far as temps go, I'd stay below 65c on a CPU.
 
Clockgen doesn't offer support for my system yet... and RMClock doesn't allow the changing of FSB :mad:
 
Back
Top