Poor delta temps?

I'm confused about the delta temps on my water cooled setup. Idle I get 30C, both cores loaded with TAT it jumps to 43C, a 13C delta. I thought water would give me deltas in the 5-7C range. I have tried slowing my pump down, no changes. I tried speeding the pump up, no changes. What gives?

setup:

BIP 3x120 rad
3x Yate Loons
Swiftech MCP655 pump
DD TDX 775 block (stock nozzle)
all 1/2" fittings, with 7/16" Masterkleer tubing

Loop order is pump>rad>tdx>t-line>pump

I will be adding more to the loop soon, but that'll just drive the idle temps up.

This is the same for me, and it's just the nature of the waterblock and the position of the thermistor in the chip.

If you had a better block, like the Fuzion, your CPU delta would be closer to 7'c... But that's not really worth it IMO.

So it's based on the block? I don't feel like changing the block at this point, so I'll just stop worrying about it! Besides the computer is dead right now anyways, stupid 680i board fried a stick of ram before committing suicide yesterday.

Your RAM will be ok, you have to take out both rams. Clear the CMOS, and plug in the rams one by one. How do you know your motherboard is dead?

Simply a case of more CFM. Quiet fans will cool your CPU but will produce a larger delta than using more powerful fans. Folks seem to forget this. In days of yore when people were seeing deltas of 5 deg C, that's cos we were all using Panaflo fans, and noise was hardly a concern to us. These days, everyone wants low noise, and thus ends up using low-CFM fans... this produces a delta MUCH higher than in previous years with older methodologies.

If watercooling for SILENCE, expect a delta of 10+.
If watercooling for performance, using more powerful fans, expect a smaller delta.

If adjusting liquid flow makes little to no difference, then the problem is generally always in the airflow department.

I wish I had a delta of only 13c. Mine is around 20c and I think that's pretty normal for multi-core processors. Especially if your OC'd. Also, keep in mind that a waterblock can only absorb so much heat at a time. With todays proc's putting out so much heat the delta between idle and load is bound to increase over what we've seen in the past.

Your RAM will be ok, you have to take out both rams. Clear the CMOS, and plug in the rams one by one. How do you know your motherboard is dead?

It wont post, error code 1d. I've tried all possible combinations of ram sticks, 1 stick gets 397 errors in memtest, the other is fine. I've cleared CMOS, popped the battery out overnight, nothing works.

Simply a case of more CFM. Quiet fans will cool your CPU but will produce a larger delta than using more powerful fans. Folks seem to forget this. In days of yore when people were seeing deltas of 5 deg C, that's cos we were all using Panaflo fans, and noise was hardly a concern to us. These days, everyone wants low noise, and thus ends up using low-CFM fans... this produces a delta MUCH higher than in previous years with older methodologies.

If watercooling for performance, using more powerful fans, expect a smaller delta.

If adjusting liquid flow makes little to no difference, then the problem is generally always in the airflow department.

youre talking about the rad + fans i assume? I just ordered 4 yate loons. I also have 30c idle and 43 load with the apogee. Will these yate loons lower the delta? Im runing delta fans really undervolted.

Sounds good, I'm going for quiet, so a 10+ delta it is!

WTH, the board works again. One stick of ram is definitely bad, but the board works fine. I have set my memory at 2.0v, linked in sync mode, fsb at 1600, so the ram is at 800mhz. Of course I would prefer to run it at 1250mhz, that's what I paid for, but this works for now.

Maybe I can tighten up my timings.

Back