Poor 3D Peformance with 8800gtx Vista x64 SP1

morpheus9394

Limp Gawd
I had a few problems with Vista recently with turned out to be faulty memory, so I have not played any games in a good well.
Today I tested COD4 for the first time a months, which previously ran perfectly @ 1920x1200 but now the frame goes from silky smooth to jerky and back to smooth every 5-10secs.
Same goes any game or 3dmark 06.
I have tried various drivers from 169.25 to 175.16 but nothing makes a difference.
Bios settings are unchanged in a year. Vista Index score is 5.9 for the card.
I am thinking it maybe just a faulty Vista install but before I reinstall everything I thought I would ask you guys if you have any ideas.
Running Q6600 [email protected] with 2x2GB G.Skill PC8000. FSB is 333mhz with memory running at same speed. Timings are 5-5-5-15.
Run memtest with no errors.
No errors in Eventvwr or exclaimation marks in device manager. Vista performance seems as speedy as normal.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Found the cause of the problem but not the solution so far:
PCIe is running at X1 instead of x16.
Tried changing the PCIe frequency to 102mhz
and the NB voltage to 1.44v. Any ideas what else I can try?

I had a few problems with Vista recently with turned out to be faulty memory, so I have not played any games in a good well.
Today I tested COD4 for the first time a months, which previously ran perfectly @ 1920x1200 but now the frame goes from silky smooth to jerky and back to smooth every 5-10secs.
Same goes any game or 3dmark 06.
I have tried various drivers from 169.25 to 175.16 but nothing makes a difference.
Bios settings are unchanged in a year. Vista Index score is 5.9 for the card.
I am thinking it maybe just a faulty Vista install but before I reinstall everything I thought I would ask you guys if you have any ideas.
Running Q6600 [email protected] with 2x2GB G.Skill PC8000. FSB is 333mhz with memory running at same speed. Timings are 5-5-5-15.
Run memtest with no errors.
No errors in Eventvwr or exclaimation marks in device manager. Vista performance seems as speedy as normal.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

I had the same issue with an 8800 GT and COD4 demo. It was an nvidia scaling issue with my monitor. When running out of its native res., I would get periods of odd slow-downs in various games. Same system, different monitor...problem went away. Go figure.

I fixed the problem by putting all the CMOS settings back to default.
PCI-e was then showing as x16.
I slowly changed the settings back to my OC'ed settings and it still showed as x16.
Eventually I realised it was the Spread Specturm. I had it disabled but when I enabled it it solved the problem. Weird as I always had it disabled and never had a problem till now.
Oh well. At least it works now.

Back