Poll: Would you pay a fee for Windows 8.1 update?

Would you pay a fee for the Windows 8.1 update?

• Up to $15

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Up to $40, or more

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Not a dime more than FREE

Votes: 63 44.4%
  • I'll stick with Windows 7, kthx

Votes: 62 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Many people unhappy with Windows 8 are hoping that the Windows 8.1 update will alleviate some of their usage complaints and back up Microsoft's recent statements on "listening to customer feedback".

However, Windows division exec Tami Reller told the Wall Street Journal that “Microsoft executives will make two sets of relevant disclosures in coming weeks … First up soon will be details about pricing, packaging and an official name (referring to Windows Blue aka 8.1)"

"PRICING"?! If Microsoft does end up trying to exact a fee for the Windows "Blue" update, would you pay it?

Last edited:
Because I have no idea what it's going to update, I can't answer the question.

I'm currently happy with Windows 8, so it would have to offer me something that I don't already have that won't be hotfixed in later.

Because I have no idea what it's going to update, I can't answer the question.

I'm currently happy with Windows 8, so it would have to offer me something that I don't already have that won't be hotfixed in later.

I wouldn't count on anything "fixed" in Windows 8.1 to be hotfixed into Windows 8.0 outside of maybe security or definition updates. Remember this is a shift in strategy, there are no more service packs - instead they're rebranding service packs as upgrades including (strategically) bumping the kernel version whereas while with service packs they did not.

The takeaway here is under the new scheme the supported-until cycle is much shorter and more aggressive and they believe it will force upgrades, whereas with the previous system every service pack extended the supported-until date of the base O/S, and allowed people and more importantly companies to loiter on the same version of windows for a decade or more, with no compelling need to upgrade.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on anything "fixed" in Windows 8.1 to be hotfixed into Windows 8.0 outside of maybe security or definition updates. Remember this is a shift in strategy, there are no more service packs - instead they're rebranding service packs as upgrades including (strategically) bumping the kernel version whereas while with service packs they did not.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I've tried all of the four major leaks of Blue that have come out and they are FAR more than any Service Pack. There's even a hint of a MAJOR update to the desktop regarding desktop resolution scaling and independent monitors, something of a complexity that almost never seen in an SP.

My take on it that 8.1/Blue whatever the branding will be a free updated to existing Windows 8 users and that Microsoft will have the same upgrade deal for 8.1/Blue as they had for Windows 8 last year at 8's launch.

The takeaway here is under the new scheme the supported-until cycle is much shorter and more aggressive and they believe it will force upgrades, whereas with the previous system every service pack extended the supported-until date of the base O/S, and allowed people and more importantly companies to loiter on the same version of windows for a decade or more, with no compelling need to upgrade.

Long term perhaps, indeed Apple and Google drop shit at the drop of a hat compared to Microsoft. But I don't see how 8.1/Blue fits into that type of strategy at this time. There's just no way for Microsoft to charge existing Windows 8 customers at this point. There's not enough Windows 8 market share to gain any financial advantage and there look to be some BIG improvements in 8.1/Blue that will need to pretty much go out to all existing 8 customers.

So my answer to your poll is NO. I will not pay for the 8.1/Blue upgrade. I don't have to anyway because I get my stuff from work but as much as a Microsoft White Knight as I get called, I would NEVER tell anyone that's paid for 8 to for pay for 8.1/Blue. NEVER. I get called a lot of things around here because people obviously don't read anything and make it up as they go.

Yep. Ask again when Blue is a known quantity and I can answer.

I agree. What's hilarious is the person who starts this poll has probably never even installed a Blue leak. I get called me a Microsoft White Knight but I do use this stuff before saying anything and making comments beyond opinion or starting a poll. There is however quite a lot that can be discerned from these leaks by someone who as actually used one.

From the leaks we know that Metro is much more desktop and multiple monitor friendly, free form resizing and more than one monitor per Metro app(s) focus. The default search will not take up a full screen. The Start Screen is much more like the Start Menu in that links aren't installed on the Start Screen by default. The Metro PC Settings apps has MANY more settings that use to be only available from the desktop. There is no indication that up to this build that Metro options in PC Settings will be available in the desktop Control Panel.

Thus far there is only one desktop item that's draw interest from real observers like myself are the new desktop scaling options. It appears that Windows will be able to scale "automatically" though what that actually means remains a mystery, The assumption is that it means that independent monitors with different DPI will be able to scale independently. I've not been able to get it to work so it's only a guess, but what I've described seems logical.

But there' is indeed a lot that does remain unknown and broken in these builds. At any rate, here's the guy that gets called the Microsoft White Knight with some facts as opposed to just plain hatred.

hls I think you're losing it. The amount of time you spend responding within minutes to any criticism of Microsoft quite honestly approaches creepy.

The FACT is Blue is being developed by the same department that's done the previous service packs like SP1 for Windows 7 and that is Windows Sustained Engineering, while the core Windows team has moved on to Windows 9. Maybe MJf and Thurott's MS insiders are all lying and all 'haters' too?

It doesn't really matter that you subjectively believe that a new scaling feature means its so much more than just a service pack. Nowhere is there any 'hatred' in this thread here, ya drama queen. most of it is copy-pasted from Paul Thurott's site. In any case, the possibility of MS charging a fee for an update is obviously going to be a widespread concern, since many people feel some things being re-added should have been there at launch since they were already present in the consumer previews and removed at the last minute .

Last edited:
friggin Redmond.....I seen this on another site people are going to have to see the results before they fork over....... I seen a few Beta Builds of Blue but wasn't really impressed cause it didn't do much of anything but I imagine it's a bitch to program over this mess.

hls I think you're losing it. The amount of time you spend responding within minutes to any criticism of Microsoft quite honestly approaches creepy.

I wouldn't say creepy. Passionate with a tinge of over-enthusiasm, perhaps.

I would say it may be worth paying for but that will depend on a lot of things. The fact that some believe Vista to 7 was just a Service Pack or 7 to 8 was just a service pack means opinions differ on what a service pack is. That said, I will be getting Windows 8.1 when it comes out for all my devices.

By then, I will also be eligible for a new phone and will get one with Windows Phone 8. Now, you can call me a fanboy all you want and I will keep on :D and use what make me :). Now, if you want to buy me something else, fine but if I am going to use my money, I will use it on what make me :), not on what you think I should do.

The FACT is Blue is being developed by the same department that's done the previous service packs like SP1 for Windows 7 and that is Windows Sustained Engineering, while the core Windows team has moved on to Windows 9. Maybe MJf and Thurott's MS insiders are all lying and all 'haters' too?

It doesn't really matter that you subjectively believe that a new scaling feature means its so much more than just a service pack. Nowhere is there any 'hatred' in this thread here, ya drama queen. most of it is copy-pasted from Paul Thurott's site. In any case, the possibility of MS charging a fee for an update is obviously going to be a widespread concern, since many people feel some things being re-added should have been there at launch since they were already present in the consumer previews and removed at the last minute .

I've actually been trying out Blue leaks and provided some real world information about what's there. Have you?

The wonders of a Windows 8 hybrid and a couple of personal LTE connection wherever I choose to take them.

I'd pay ~$15 for the update.

It's not just a 'fix' for some things that people don't like about Windows 8. It's an update with patches, extra features, enhancements, etc.. So far, it looks like it is a good update, and if they keep it up, Windows 8.1+ will really mature into an OS that fits all platforms.

With some of the enhancements and updates from Win8 to Win8.1 (Blue), Microsoft has said they listened to consumers and the feedback. So, obviously all was not well and Microsoft is responding to the criticism.

As far as Heatlesssun, he's passionate about the OS and generally likes it. If he's the white knight, I'm sure I can label some others as the evil witch of Microsoft fandom! :) Windows 8 isn't the end all to OS's. It will continuously change and update and become a great OS for multiple device platforms. Welcome to the 21st century. :)

There will be a fee for 8.1, it's coming out for Christmas season. Apple showed them, charge for everything.

The OP's poll makes a good point. MS has used the long cycles of support and adding new features through service packs as a benefit of the Windows platform. Even if MS adopts the Apple model of cheap point releases, it will certainly leave a bad taste in many users' mouths to be charged for what is effectively a service pack.

glwt if the price is > $0, MS.

The OP's poll makes a good point. MS has used the long cycles of support and adding new features through service packs as a benefit of the Windows platform.

This really isn't true. Historically SPs have been little more than accumulation of patches some minor tweaks. The major exception to this was Windows XP SP2, which many considered the most significant Windows SP ever as it did add a great deal to XP on the security front. In looking at the Blue leaks thus far, the changes are far more substantial than anything that I've ever seen in a Windows SP. In fact there's so much changing apparently that I don't see how Microsoft can't offer 8.1 as a free upgrade to existing 8 customers because they really need everyone on 8 to get to 8.1. Not saying that Microsoft won't go to a yearly small update and charge model but I think this one has to be a freebie to existing 8 users. We should know pretty soon one way or the other.

From a goodwill standpoint it's probably smarter for MS to not charge for Blue, whatever it turns out to be (either W8/SP1 or Windows 8 Second Edition, only time will tell)...perhaps more so if they're indeed thinking of going to an Apple-style release model. That said, "smart" doesn't always carry over when you think it should...

Historically...
:rolleyes:

Read MS's own comments about the purpose of service packs, and how it compared those to the features added to what Apple does in point releases.

Windows 2000 SP1-SP4: updates for both hardware support and new OS features and to align certain support with XP

Windows XP SP1: added Media Center and Tablet support, many new hardware support and other OS features
XP SP2: too many to list
XP SP3: mostly new security features

Vista SP1: vs RTM, probably the closest comparison to what's changing in Windows 8 -> 8.1, many changes to how the OS works.
Vista SP2: several features added, comparable to XP SP1 in scope of changes

It's a waste of time responding to you. Investors. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Read MS's own comments about the purpose of service packs, and how it compared those to the features added to what Apple does in point releases.

Windows 2000 SP1-SP4: updates for both hardware support and new OS features and to align certain support with XP

Windows XP SP1: added Media Center and Tablet support, many new hardware support and other OS features
XP SP2: too many to list
XP SP3: mostly new security features

Vista SP1: vs RTM, probably the closest comparison to what's changing in Windows 8 -> 8.1, many changes to how the OS works.
Vista SP2: several features added, comparable to XP SP1 in scope of changes

It's a waste of time responding to you. Investors. :rolleyes:

Then if they do charge for it and you do not want to buy it, don't. I will, problem solved, next question? Oh, and have you been using the Blue leak builds and if so, how are they?

But Media Center Edition and Tablet Edition were sold separate from Home/Pro. DLing the SP didn't give you MCE or Tablet.

Oh, and have you been using the Blue leak builds and if so, how are they?

Incremental upgrade. Definitely not enough to be a 'new' Windows release, but changes that make it worth it. Not worth a lot of $$, but a small update. Similar to going from XP to XP SP2. XP by itself wasn't much to brag about. Throw SP2 on there and it's a damn good OS.

Of course, it is still Windows 8, which if you don't like it, you probably still won't. I do, so 8.1 is a nice update.

But Media Center Edition and Tablet Edition were sold separate from Home/Pro. DLing the SP didn't give you MCE or Tablet.
It didn't give you USB 2.0 peripherals or any new networking hardware either.

Of course, it is still Windows 8, which if you don't like it, you probably still won't. I do, so 8.1 is a nice update.

How Windows 8.1/Blue will be received will obviously have a lot to do with how well the desktop/Metro integration is and how the Start Button/Menu situation is handled. There's a lot in the Blue leaks that definitely show major improvements on the desktop/Metro integration with multiple Metro apps across monitors and free form horizontal app resizing. Start Screen looks to be a bit more manageable with tiles not being automatically added when installing desktop apps and the Search looks to be much more in line with a desktop look and feel.

But nothing in the leaks for far indicating what's going to happen with the biggies, the Start Button/Menu. No the old Start Menu isn't coming back, but I do wonder about maybe something like a mini-Start Screen overlay that doesn't take up the whole screen. Not sure about all the details about how a mini-Start Screen would work, but if things could be pinned to it separately from the main Start Screen, a toggle between it popping up versus the full one, if it had a search box and a all apps link, I think that would solve a number of issues.

It didn't give you USB 2.0 peripherals or any new networking hardware either.

Huh?

In your prior post, you make it sound like SP1 gave MCE and Tablet support, when those were additional products.

In your prior post, you make it sound like SP1 gave MCE and Tablet support, when those were additional products.

Not only were they additional products, they were never for sale as standalone OSes, they only came pre-installed on certain devices.

Not only were they additional products, they were never for sale as standalone OSes, they only came pre-installed on certain devices.

I thought MCE 2005 was available for consumer purchase. I know MCE in '02 was locked down to only Tier 1 OEMs, but I thought it loosened up over time.

Fuk No, I wouldn't even pay for windows 8, let alone an update to it.

I didn't write it "gave" anything. I wrote that it added support for Tablet PC and MCE. You could patch existing XP systems to MCE by copying MCE application files and flipping the support on in the registry. The rest of the plumbing is already built into SP1 and later, which I believe other 3rd party media center shells also used.

How Windows 8.1/Blue will be received will obviously have a lot to do with how well the desktop/Metro integration is and how the Start Button/Menu situation is handled. There's a lot in the Blue leaks that definitely show major improvements on the desktop/Metro integration with multiple Metro apps across monitors and free form horizontal app resizing. Start Screen looks to be a bit more manageable with tiles not being automatically added when installing desktop apps and the Search looks to be much more in line with a desktop look and feel.

But nothing in the leaks for far indicating what's going to happen with the biggies, the Start Button/Menu. No the old Start Menu isn't coming back, but I do wonder about maybe something like a mini-Start Screen overlay that doesn't take up the whole screen. Not sure about all the details about how a mini-Start Screen would work, but if things could be pinned to it separately from the main Start Screen, a toggle between it popping up versus the full one, if it had a search box and a all apps link, I think that would solve a number of issues.

My predictions are very similar too.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039859822&postcount=16

I voted nothing more than Free. After a couple of registry modifications I'm much happier with Windows 8 now. The only thing they need to fix is to disable the hot corners. The Start Screen is great but just let me click the lower left taskbar to open it. Same for the charms bar, I disabled the charms hint, but it still annoys me when it comes up when I don't want it to. :(

I like Win 8 as it is, so I guess I really dont care.

In my mind they will charge for it to make it look like a new OS and get the public/media back on board. Most of the Win 8 hate is BS anyhow (I know, flame bait here...), and the media perception is blowing it way out of proportion.

A lot of the people I have shown 8 to are like " Oh? that's the only thing different? Well thats not that bad."

Back