POLL: LCD or CRT for DOOM 3

I'll be using my BenQ FP767-12 display. UT2004 looks fine in dark areas, but I'll have to see how Doom 3 looks on this one. 12ms looks great too. :)

(and no, the display isn't at default brightness -- I've adjusted that already).

I'll be using "the now classic" version of Apple's 23" Cinema Display

1920x1200

It plays UT2k4 and WoW beta at that resolution and I don't notice any major hiccups.

ViewSonic P95f+ (beige; the black was friggin' out of stock at the time and my old monitor had given up the ghost on me).

You guys using 1280x1024 on your CRTs will get slightly distorted images; you, technically, should be using 1280x960 on CRT, as CRTs are 4:3 ratio, and 1280x1024 is a 5:4 ratio resolution. 5:4 LCDs such as my Hitachi CML175 or any other LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024 will, even with the best scaling in the world, still be displaying a slightly distorted image at any other resolution that is not 5:4 (which includes 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960 and 1600x1200; ALL 4:3 ratio resolutions). Generally for any display I own, I will not settle with an out-of-ratio resolution for that display, as the geometric distortion is quite obvious.

This is the main reason why I don't game on my CML175, even with its 16ms response time; it's only good for 1280x960, a 5:4 ratio display. With my CRTs, I can choose from 1024x768, 1280x960 (assuming the game supports it) and 1600x1200, without geometric distortion, thanks to their 4:3 ratio. Had I a 4:3 LCD panel, I'd be more willing to game on it.

Actually, I do, an old Samsung SyncMaster 151P, but at that rate I'd rather just use my 19" CRT.

-Ed

KDS 19" cheepo! w00t
It'll probably handle the resolutions I can muster with my soon to be inadequate AIW9700Pro I'm hoping for 1024X768 but will settle for less until my wife realizes that the only way to elevate her husband's "deep dark depression and excessive misery" is with a new graphics card. But then again, I may be delightfully suprized - only time will tell.

KDS may be a cheap monitor, but mine is going on 4 years without a hitch - it's all good!

I am just getting around to building a new system for doom3. I have never really gamed a lot on my dell 1900 fp. I know the response time is only 25 ms, but how does it work for fps?

I know lots of pepole have this lcd, so Im curious to know.

Viewsonic p225fB. In my rather limited experience LCDs don't do accurate color reproduction nearly as well as CRTs especially with very dark colors... might be a problem with Doom 3 since it looks, well, dark :p

Zyzzyva100 said:
I am just getting around to building a new system for doom3. I have never really gamed a lot on my dell 1900 fp. I know the response time is only 25 ms, but how does it work for fps?

I know lots of pepole have this lcd, so Im curious to know.

It's like white or black...25ms is good if you are not anal about it, I lock my max fps to 60 on most games and it smooths out quite a bit.

I love my LCD...it games fine, any lack of fragging is due to my lack of ability... :D

I love my Dell FP1800. I play CS competively on it, and UT2K4 and Far Cry look great. If it isnt up to par to othe rmonitor i dun care, cause my lcd is much more sexy than any crt out there. My res is 1280x1024 and i just got a 9800XT. I hope i play 1024x768 wit everything maxxed.

Harkamus said:
I'd like to know what people will use for DOOM 3. If you choose LCD, please list the resolution and size of the actual screen; that way I know if you're playing on the native resolution or not.

I just got a Dell 2001FP and will probably play at 1024 x 768 even though native res is 1600 x 1200.

Regarding the Dell 2001FP and whether it's suitable for Doom 3 or not, I can now say, unless I got my hands on a unique unit, that the 2001FP is NOT suitable for FPS's. Why? Because it actually introduces latency into the viewing process. That is, there's a slight, but noticable delay, between when an image is sent down the wire to the monitor and when it's drawn in front of you. Using the D-SUB interface it's quite noticable, not so much through DVI, but still there. This is completely unacceptable to me. When you introduce a one-tenth of a second delay into a game where 60fps is the minimum you need in order to play well, well, I guess the boat anchor is coming with me to Quakecon this year, and this beast will, Dell permitting, be returing to Dell. I've got a VGA splitter that I'll test further with. I'll feed a signal into both my Cornerstone 1650 and the Dell 2001FP, comparing them side by side, and share the results with you here.

site1.jpg
site1007.jpg

GuruX said:
I'll be using my BenQ FP767-12 display. UT2004 looks fine in dark areas, but I'll have to see how Doom 3 looks on this one. 12ms looks great too. :)

(and no, the display isn't at default brightness -- I've adjusted that already).

That uses the AU-Optronics 12ms panels... supposedly it has excellent dark color depth, especially considering it's TN+Film. I doubt you could do much better for an LCD for D3 in that respect (better contrast is out there, but you'd have to look at IPS and MVA stuff which wouldn't give you the pixel response performance), so I certainly hope it's good enough. ;)

Hopefully by the time it comes out I'll have my first LCD, an HP L2335. 23" Widescreen goodness at 1920x1200. Soo tasty :cool:

I'd like to stress that it's possible my Dell 2001FP is defective, so your milage may vary.

There is no doubt, whatsoever, that the particular 2001FP I have (and, I suspect, all of them) has serious FPS lag.

I compared the 2001FP, using both the D-SUB and DVI-D connectors, against a Cornerstone p1650, a Hitachi CML175W, and a Decaview G630 (rebadged CTX 21"). Tests were performed using a ATI 9800XT and a ATI 9700 Pro, one in a Biostar Mini ITX (the amd 64 bit model) and the other in a Shuttle SN42G respectively. Both using the latest nForce and ATI drivers. For every monitor except the Dell, the image was displayed without any noticable delay, however, with the Dell, frames were drawn upwards to a quarter (estimated) of a second after they should have been. That's life and death in a FPS.

I'm extremely disappointed. The image is exceptionally sharp, the color and contrast absolutely beautiful, but, to my horror, only worthwhile on the desktop.

If anyone else has a Dell 2001FP, please let me know, am I on crack? Did I just get a bum monitor? The fact that, other than the delay, this monitor works perfectly in every mode through every interface (haven't tried composite) leads me to suspect this is perfectly normal, but I don't know, I didn't buy two of them.

semiazas said:
I'd like to stress that it's possible my Dell 2001FP is defective, so your milage may vary.

There is no doubt, whatsoever, that the particular 2001FP I have (and, I suspect, all of them) has serious FPS lag.

I compared the 2001FP, using both the D-SUB and DVI-D connectors, against a Cornerstone p1650, a Hitachi CML175W, and a Decaview G630 (rebadged CTX 21"). Tests were performed using a ATI 9800XT and a ATI 9700 Pro, one in a Biostar Mini ITX (the amd 64 bit model) and the other in a Shuttle SN42G respectively. Both using the latest nForce and ATI drivers. For every monitor except the Dell, the image was displayed without any noticable delay, however, with the Dell, frames were drawn upwards to a quarter (estimated) of a second after they should have been. That's life and death in a FPS.

I'm extremely disappointed. The image is exceptionally sharp, the color and contrast absolutely beautiful, but, to my horror, only worthwhile on the desktop.

If anyone else has a Dell 2001FP, please let me know, am I on crack? Did I just get a bum monitor? The fact that, other than the delay, this monitor works perfectly in every mode through every interface (haven't tried composite) leads me to suspect this is perfectly normal, but I don't know, I didn't buy two of them.

I honestly don't see that. I've never run a side by side comparison but playing on the LCD feels extremely smooth and I don't feel like there is any lag behind.

28" Widescreen LG TV, with Logitech Wireless MX Duo.

Also hooked up to my Sony DAVS-550 (Dolby Digital 5.1) through the nForce 2 Soundstorm.

With the lights off, girlfriend taped up and put out of the way, I can see myself developing some serious twitches through playing this game...

LCD - Samsung Syncmaster 213T (21 inch) -- using the DVI connection, it handles dark areas just fine (UT2004 looks perfect) and has absolutely no ghosting

good thread btw:

im thinkin about using my 21" Sony Sun monitor. does 85hz @ 1600x1200 and does 180hz @ 1280x1024....

soooo im happy w/ that... but if i dont like the crt, i might go with my LCD, its just a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 171v

semiazas said:

For that reason alone, im glad i dont pay close attention to small details like that. Its kind alike knowin they used too much cgi before even watchin spiderman movie. If no one had told u wouldnt have been lookin for it. I have a FP1800 and it looks great to me.

semiazas said:
Regarding the Dell 2001FP and whether it's suitable for Doom 3 or not, I can now say, unless I got my hands on a unique unit, that the 2001FP is NOT suitable for FPS's. Why? Because it actually introduces latency into the viewing process. That is, there's a slight, but noticable delay, between when an image is sent down the wire to the monitor and when it's drawn in front of you. Using the D-SUB interface it's quite noticable, not so much through DVI, but still there. This is completely unacceptable to me. When you introduce a one-tenth of a second delay into a game where 60fps is the minimum you need in order to play well, well, I guess the boat anchor is coming with me to Quakecon this year, and this beast will, Dell permitting, be returing to Dell. I've got a VGA splitter that I'll test further with. I'll feed a signal into both my Cornerstone 1650 and the Dell 2001FP, comparing them side by side, and share the results with you here.

Try DVI. Mine games fine for FPS. I don't notice what you described as a delay. Then again, like you said, you're 2001FP could be faulty. My only concern is with DOOM 3 and being able to display different shades of black...since the game is, well, mostly black. It scales quite well from what I see too. I played at 1024 x 768 on it(UT2k4) and it looks fine. Native res is 1600 x 1200....

sc0tty8 said:
Niether, 55" HDTV for me:D
I can top that. I can just walk downstairs to my home theater and turn on the HT PC to a 117 inch, diagonally measured screen and game through the Sony HS10 projector. ...with about 2500 watts of sound. The twin Adire Tempest 15 inch woofers alone get about 1500.

...not that I would. It's very difficult to game on a screen that size(FPSs).

2001FP and it works awesome with Doom ]I[ , I know because ive played it on the 2001 FP ;)

Zachary

Jiffylush said:
My Viewsonic p220fb 22"

Will do 2048x1536, but I just run 1600x1200, probably try to play doom at 1280x1024, will be upgrading video card before christmas.

cheers

I will probably be doing most of my Doom 3-ing on my Dell 2001FP LCD, at the native resolution of 1600x1200. If the game doesn't play smoothly enough, I might need to go down to 1280x960, though then I'd enable AA. I might also be doing some gaming on my projector at its native resolution of 960x540 (which actually looks better than 1280x720).

Taco said:
22" CRT, NEC 2141sb. I need 1600x1200 + 21+", and i don't want an LCD enough to spend $1000+

Well a Dell 2001FP will give you 1600x1200 and cost less than $800 if you're moderately patient...you do realize that even your current monitor is only 20" viewable, so you're not getting any more screen than any 20" LCDs, right?

sc0tty8 said:
Niether, 55" HDTV for me:D

what kind of tv, and how do you like it? Res? Any interesting info? Me was thinking of something like that.

Had a 2001fp and promptly returned it because of dead pixels, "screen dooring effect" and awful backlighting. I know some don't have issues with theirs, but I felt I wanted something a little different. Then went with dual 1801fps on sell for almost the same price as one 2001fp.

I played Doom III for about an hour with the custom res that stretched across both monitors for an impressive 32 inches of gaming goodness. The bar down the center sucks though, so its back to a single monitors for the rest of the game.

dual_1801fp_doom.jpg

dual_1801fp_doom_2.jpg

phas3d

76" Carada screen with an NEC LT260K DLP projector @ 1024x768.

From my La-z-y Boy.

mangoldm said:
76" Carada screen with an NEC LT260K DLP projector @ 1024x768.

From my La-z-y Boy.

Pic?

I am using a Viewsonice VX-700 17" LCD @ 75. Native is 1280x1024, playing at 1024. Runs perfectly fine to me.

Luxor said:
Pic?

I am using a Viewsonice VX-700 17" LCD @ 75. Native is 1280x1024, playing at 1024. Runs perfectly fine to me.
Here ya go:
IMG_0217.jpg

You can see the projection screen on the right.

IMG_0224.jpg

The flash washes out the image -- here's a shot without the flash.

IMG_0215.jpg

The PC is behind the shelves, which display my game and component boxes nicely, plus hold the projector and rear speakers. The La-Z-Boy provides comfort for hours of fragging, and with the Nostromo N52 on the left arm and the Logitech Trackball on the right arm, (plus a wireless keyboard) I don't need a desk. All the comfort of the console boys but the fidelity of a PC!

OK, my turn. :O

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The screen is 117 inches measured diagonally.

Projector is a Sony HS10 at 1366 x 768.

Luxor said:
Sweeeeet... but how blurry is it?
I posted in another thread that text on my X800 Pro is not as sharp as on my 9700 Pro. At these scales it is something to consider.

Even so, it is quite legible as I am working on it now, and gaming and movies much more immersive on the big screen.

I have an 18.1 NEC MultiSync 1860NX LCD. I've never had problems with games being too dark, but that's due to an auto-brightness feature on the monitor.

I'm using a Samsung 712N LCD at 1024x768, which is the highest I can run it at for Doom 3. All other apps I use 1280x1040, but my systems a little slow for anything higher on Doon 3.

mjz_5 said:
what kind of tv, and how do you like it? Res? Any interesting info? Me was thinking of something like that.

It is a mitsu tv, I have not gotten off my ass to get the cabling I need, but, it does 1080i.

I would take it over a projector.

I got it for 1700 something at sears with a sears card, no intertest for 1 year so...I really like the quality of dvd's on it, soooo clear, you can see people's pores :D

Back