POLL: Collector's Items - Your Expertise Needed...

What to do?

• Keep them new in box

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Build a new PC using them

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Hi ya'll! Just got a question. I've bought three AMD 50th Anniversary items, hoping to make a profit down the road, like twenty years from now, or whenever appropriate.

Anyway, long story short, here is my question (or questions):

If my only one reason of acquiring these items are for resale later on, do I:

1) Keep them brand-new condition in their original boxes, OR -
2) Open them up, build a whole PC, test everything to make sure they work and store the PC away?

I tend to lean toward number 2, due mainly to the fact that I want to make sure they work, and don't wait until 20 years later only to find out that one of the items doesn't even work...

BUT!

I also think that in a collector's mindset, when he/she collects these items, it's not for setting up a working PC, rather, it's for showing/displaying, more like antique items, history, etc...

So, I can't decide! Help me! Shed some light into my cloudy mind, please!!!

New Poll Created. Chime in!

TIA!

Last edited:
make a poll

I vote keepem in box. I also vote to buy 2 of each and play with second set.

I'm not sure they will ever be worth much more than what you paid for them, so I'd probably build something with them now...

make a poll

I vote keepem in box. I also vote to buy 2 of each and play with second set.

Now, only the CPU is still available in new condition. The video card and motherboard are only available as "USED" from Ebay. There's a long list for the Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 7 Wifi-50 motherboard, actually.

I'm not sure they will ever be worth much more than what you paid for them, so I'd probably build something with them now...

That's true, too. I read about the few "Anniversary" games that debuted and some people were able to sell them few years later for up 1,000-10,000% profit, so I thought I would follow suite with the AMD 50th Anniversary items, but who knows if they will worth more than what I paid for. Nothing's written on stone, so...who knows, right?

Now, only the CPU is still available in new condition. The video card and motherboard are only available as "USED" from Ebay. There's a long list for the Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 7 Wifi-50 motherboard, actually.

That's true, too. I read about the few "Anniversary" games that debuted and some people were able to sell them few years later for up 1,000-10,000% profit, so I thought I would follow suite with the AMD 50th Anniversary items, but who knows if they will worth more than what I paid for. Nothing's written on stone, so...who knows, right?

It really depends on the production. Anything can be a "limited edition." You can still buy brand new 5700XT AE's from Dell.

I would build something with the hardware myself like how I reused a 2005 era case that's airbrushed , so I dropped a MSI Gaming Pro 470x with Ryzen 7 3700x and a sidewinder flashed RX 5700

While I'm skeptical of the profit likelihood here, there is no doubt that unopened, new-in-box merchandise is more valuable from a collectors' perspective. Unless it has some kind of historical significance in its use.

Usually it's hardware manufactured in very small quantities or of which few good condition examples exist that fetch ludicrous prices, so it's unlikely any of the 50th AE stuff will be worth more than what you paid simply because of how many were made. The 5700 XTs, for example, are still in stock at many places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back