• Working, but exhibits odd behavior

Votes: 50 29.4%
  • Fails to boot and/or crashes randomly

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Arrived defective/damaged

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a P8P67 Pro, It seems to work fine, other than a couple issues. One, is that I had the double boot thing going on for a while, but I think that it may not be doing that anymore now, in any case that's not a really big issue.

The other one, is that my onboard sound is acting funny, apparently it thinks I'm plugging and unplugging things from the front panel at a rate which isn't humanly possible. This happens regardless of if I have anything plugged into the front panel, and regardless of if the front panel is actually connected to the motherboard or not.

Updated the bios, tried it with the default drivers with windows 7, and the latest version available, and it still had problems. And my hard drive seemed to be getting accessed a lot with it active, and thus with headphones appearing and disappearing at a flickering rate, which would go away when I disabled it in windows. Fortunately, I had a sound card around that I could use, and just put that in there and disabled the onboard sound in bios.

my ASUS P8P67 Pro has been up and running just fine since the first time it was given power. not a single issue thus far.

My motherboard is working great! No reboots, crashes, or blue screens.

Of course, I haven't upgraded it yet.

P8P67 Pro works very well once booted, but it does exhibit the multi-boot symptom where it shows the ASUS flash screen more than once before loading into Windows. I plan on disabling the Marvel SATA connections in the bios as I am not using them and the first message I see when cold booting my PC relates to the Marvel controller and no hard drives being found. RAM is also showing up as 1333 versus 1600

P8P67 Pro works very well once booted, but it does exhibit the multi-boot symptom where it shows the ASUS flash screen more than once before loading into Windows. I plan on disabling the Marvel SATA connections in the bios as I am not using them and the first message I see when cold booting my PC relates to the Marvel controller and no hard drives being found. RAM is also showing up as 1333 versus 1600

the 'double boot' people refer to is different than seeing the splash screen a few times. you can eliminate the multiple splash screens by disabling the Marvel SATA controller and the JMB Controller, assuming you are not using these devices. i only see the ASUS splash screen once and then windows begins loading.

Thanks Porter, I'll check this out after work today. I will say this system is leaps and bounds better than my old system from what I've seen thus far! The only other thing I noticed that was odd but of little consequence was the connection for the Power Indicator light for the case. I'm using a CoolerMaster 690 (the original series) and the Power LED connection does not have a space between the pins. Whereas on the motherboard the standoffs are separated by one pin....if what I am describing makes sense. So basically the connection on the motherboard is looking for a cable that spans the width of 3 pins whereas the cable coming off of the case is only two wide. This wasn't the case on my old EVGA board so I just left it unplugged.

your'e welcome, i understand what you're saying about the power LED pin connection. i'll take a look at my case connectors tonight. on my case all of the connectors were two-pin, with the exception of ONE thing being two single-pin connectors. i don't recall what that thing was, but it could have been the power LED power/ground. if so it would have allowed me to avoid the situation you're in. i'll take a look tonight.

Hello all,

I have been fighting the ASUS P8P67 for about a week now and figured I needed to share a few things I have found with this build. The problems I've encountered so far have been related to RAM.

Everything I've read on the web so far leads me to believe this line of boards is very picky in regards to what memory you decide to go with. When I purchased my board I decided to go with the Gskill Ripsaw 1333 7-7-7-21 4x4 kit. Turns out that was a mistake on my part. I built the computer and decided for some odd reason to load Windows7 before running memtest86 (I guess I was so excited about getting this thing up and running I completely lost my mind). Windows seemed to load fine however after a short period of time I started having random lockups. Good Post every time, No BSOD, just a frozen display. When it wasn't locking up, Windows Experience Rating test wouldn't run without having errors and Windows didn't recognize the WHQL on the 260.99 Nvidia driver as being valid. Very Weird.

At this point I figured I had better back up a few steps and actually do things right. Grabbed a copy of Memtest86 (The one that prompts you at the beginning with three choices. 3.5a I think), Slapped it in and I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did. I would see a flash of red and blue across the display and then an instant reboot. WTF! Well this was interesting. I just happened to have an i7-2600 laying around the house so I popped it in. No help, same issue.

Figured at this point I had to rule out all suspects so I replaced the MSI 460 with another one (also laying around the house) however this made no difference either. I even took it out of the case and ran it clean on the bench with only one stick of RAM. Still the same problem.

Up to this point I had not updated the BIOS so I did that too. Doing so allow Memtest to work with one stick installed but with all 4 installed I got numerous failures about 50% through. Went down to one of the local, rip you off on their prices, PC hack shops and reluctantly purchased one 4GB stick of (overpriced) Kingston DDR3 1333 Value RAM 9-9-9-24 and stuck it in A1. WOW! What a difference. The system is now more responsive, it flies through the Post process like never before and Windows no longer has lockup problems. On frickin Value RAM! We’re talking $40 or less for a 4GB stick (At Newegg of course). Oh and did I mention I have it OC’d to 4.5 GHz stable with this single stick of cheapass RAM installed.
I do video editing so I would like to have the machine working with 16GB so I RMA’d and have 4 stick kit of the new Ripsaw X Series 1600 9-9-9-24 coming as I type. If they don’t work I’ll try the Vengence 1600s. If that doesn’t work I will bust the bank and get some more of that reliable Kingston Value RAM and call it good.
All that being said, I love this board. I truly hope ASUS pulls their heads out and get this thing working right or they will lose a lot of good paying customers.

Waiting on parts to arrive this week.

I am hoping this build goes smooth. I already have the newest bios and memtest on a flash drive waiting to be used.

Hopefully when I start my build Sunday night I will get lucky and have 0 issues.

I am doubting this will happen though.

Waiting on parts to arrive this week.

I am hoping this build goes smooth. I already have the newest bios and memtest on a flash drive waiting to be used.

Hopefully when I start my build Sunday night I will get lucky and have 0 issues.

I am doubting this will happen though.

It's all good Tokey,

I would recommend starting with one stick of RAM. If you plan on using 2, ASUS recommends putting them in slots A2,B2 for the best results.

Good luck with your build :)

Porter

What brand of RAM are you running and how many sticks?

i'm running ADATA DDR3 1600 2x2GB. when i purchased my ram i had the newegg page open on one screen and ASUS' QVL open on the other. i went down the list of ram available on newegg, checking each part number to see if it was on the QVL. if it wasn't i moved on. i settled on this ram and i've had zero issues with it. in fact the spec for this ram says "1.55V - 1.75V" and i'm running it at 1.55V at the specified timings and speed.

i suggest buying ram that is on ASUS's QVL, if you haven't already. also, i wish i had a 2600K and extra GTX 460 just 'lying' around the house :p

EDIT: JookyOne's comment below pushes me to word this a bit better: i can't say that ram NOT on the QVL will cause problems, all i can say is that my ram is on the list and i've had no issues with my setup.

Last edited:
It's all good Tokey,

I would recommend starting with one stick of RAM. If you plan on using 2, ASUS recommends putting them in slots A2,B2 for the best results.

Good luck with your build :)

after reading these posts I am a little nervous about the ram

I got 8gb (4x2gb stick) of this ram from a fellow forum member and I am certain its is good. I am just worried the board will not like it.

I guess worse comes to worse I can spend $40 on a 4gb kit from the egg.

That and my luck with Asus boards is low. I have purchased 5 boards in the last ten years from them and all of them were DOA. The only reason why I am building with Asus this time is the free P8P67 I got as an early birthday present from a friend. Otherwise I would be using an MSI or my old reliable standby Gigabyte.

I don't believe my G. Skill RAM (4GB x 2 1600 MHz Rip Jaws) is specifically on their QVL list, but I haven't seen any issues with it just yet. I don't recall seeing many if any, 8GB kits on their QVL though...

That and my luck with Asus boards is low. I have purchased 5 boards in the last ten years from them and all of them were DOA. The only reason why I am building with Asus this time is the free P8P67 I got as an early birthday present from a friend. Otherwise I would be using an MSI or my old reliable standby Gigabyte.

Amen brother

This is my first ASUS in 3 years. I've been bouncing between MSI and Gigabyte for a while now with a few ASRocks with minimal problems.

This is what we all get for insisting on going with Bleeding Edge tech. I'm sure with a little pain and patience it'll work itself out.

Please let us know how your build turns out.:cool:

i suggest buying ram that is on ASUS's QVL, if you haven't already. also, i wish i had a 2600K and extra GTX 460 just 'lying' around the house :p

The RAM I chose was in-fact on the QVL however not 16GBs of it. Perhaps that is why it did not work on this board. Pretty picky if you ask me.

As for the extra parts laying around the house, I'm a circus freak when it comes to computers. It's a good thing I have an understanding wife with a good J.O.B. :D

I am not sure if Asus is getting a bad rep here but if those numbers from the pole are right we are way past the normal 10% failure rate for Asus and everyone else. My Asus had numerous problems, the cyclic boot issue, pci slots not working. It happens, sounds like too often right now.

Crossing my fingers on the Biostar I have now. Seems good so far.

I have a Asus P8P67 Pro and a I5-2500K on the way

I hope I don't run into issues.

after reading these posts I am a little nervous about the ram

I got 8gb (4x2gb stick) of this ram from a fellow forum member and I am certain its is good. I am just worried the board will not like it.

I guess worse comes to worse I can spend $40 on a 4gb kit from the egg.

I would get new ram. The voltage seems way to high on that ram to work without issues.

I herd that more then 1.65 V will fry the memory controller on the CPU

Those PCIe port issues...are those out of the box issues where they just don't work, or do they just not work after some amount of time? I probably should toss a few old parts in there just to try the ports out...

I would get new ram. The voltage seems way to high on that ram to work without issues.

I herd that more then 1.65 V will fry the memory controller on the CPU

god damn it I didnt even look at the voltage. I guess its off to the egg for some memory. Nice catch Thank you

I went ahead and ordered this kit since its on the QVL for the P8P67

Maybe someone on the forums can use the other memory

Last edited:
Just setup my msi 67A-GD65 with a 2500k...tried to save my old OS but bsod after first boot...fresh WIN 7 with all updates and works great! The OC genie gets me to 4.3ghz without a problem..gonna try some manual oc later. If you use Gskill Ripjaws and an A70 cooler its will be a tight fit but it will work....solid mb so far :)

P67 Pro with the 2600k and using the G-Skill Ripjaws 4x4 gig stick at 16 gigs. Never had one issue with the memory whatsoever. Windows and the Bios recognized the 16 gigs immediately. I have it at 1600 mhz in XMP mode for an overclock at 4.6. I'm using the 212+ heatsink and it was a very tight fit because the fan does touch the RAM stick in DIMM 1. I simply slid the fan up a couple of mils to accommodate... no big deal and you can't even tell visually. This was all done on a fresh install of Windows 7 on a RAID array of 2 Crucial SSD drives. I can't imagine a faster, more responsive computer.

I'm running an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe with 4 sticks of the G.Skill Sniper 1333 RAM (16 gig) and a 2600k @ 4.4 with no issues.

My Asrock P67 Pro3 is working great. Everything and I mean everything is working correctly. I especially love the fast boot software. With my operating system on an SSD drive I am able to boot up to the desktop in about 5 seconds. I tried a MSI P67A-GD55 for a couple of days and it worked okay but there were some minor bugs and the UEFI bios on it sucked. I decided to try the Asrock board and never looked back. I'm rock solid stable at 4.7 with a 2600K. Life is good right now. :D

P8P67 Pro, working fine with some caveats.

Although I have some power management issues where I'm not entirely sure if they're board related or video card related (seems probable it's the latter), it's been a pretty good build and performance is excellent.

I had issues with the stutter startup until I set voltages for my memory manually to accommodate the 1.65v I installed. Had I known about 1.5v being more accepted with Sandy Bridge builds I probably would have changed what I purchased, but as it is the memory I installed seems fine and I can cold boot normally once I knew what to look for and configured it manually.

It's nothing I'd recommend for a novice since there are issues there that someone else might not consider smooth running, but there hasn't been anything extremely problematic or unexpected for installing the new and shiny instead of the old and reliable.

Fixed all my 2600k issues by changing the VRM Freq from Auto to 350 on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe. Some quick tests showed stable on 1.35v @ 4.8Ghz and 1.47v @ 5.0Ghz. Previous to this change I could not boot into windows above 4.5.

Had a couple issues with windows freezing on a fresh install on my p8p67pro, 2500k & 2x4gb 1.5v mushkin silver RAM. Moved around a couple usb devices to other ports and uninstalled the logitech software for my g15 keyboard and things got stable. This was @ stock. Ended up using the Asus AI software to do an auto OC to 4.5ghz with a hyper 212+ and single fan. Hit around 49-52 on cores under prime95. Pretty damn awesome for a $24 cooler. Then again it's also colder than a witches tit at my apt right now ;)

I installed all my stuff early. I will have to remove the mobo to install my cooler once my NM-I3 part comes.

It all went well. Running the bios that came with the board without issues.

P8P67 Pro with 2500K

8gb of G.Skill DDR3-1333 2x4 GB

just got the system up and running and its working very well.

waiting on payday for new case before I install my heatsink

Asrock P67 extreme4 and i5-2500k. Assembled, booted into UEFI, changed my multiplier to 46 and voltage to 1.3, left everything else on auto. Installed windows then fired up prime 95. In two hours of testing it has been sitting at at or below 50c for all 4 cores, 4.6ghz at 1.328 volts in windows 7.

i have a p8p67 and the 1253 bios and my 2600k is oc to 4.6ghz

everything is running fine and i have no issues coming out of sleep or double post issues.

i using ripjaw 1333mhz ram running at 1.5v the ram was also on the QVL list in the manual

maybe thats why i have no stability issues?

Got the P8P67 Pro and it somewhat worked for 2 hours before it died. When it worked, it would have the dual boot problem and experience random shutdowns every 20 min or so. Now when it starts up nothing happens. The CPU_LED is constantly on the moment it started up, the fans turn on, but I see no activity. I don't even think it's initializing the graphics card because usually when I turn on the computer the graphics card fan would spin at a really fast speed for a few seconds, now it's just spinning at normal speed.

I'm really tempted to RMA it back to Newegg and get the Asrock Extreme 4, it seems to be the most reliable solution right now, and the overclocking potential seems to be about the same. Maybe some people can deal with the idiosyncrasies of the P8P67 boards, but this is for work and I need stability over anything else.

specs:
12 GB G.Skil DDR3-1600
HD 4870
Vertex 2 + 4 HDD of various sizes
TX 750

Everything is working fine for me. I'm not OCing or have any SSD or RAID system. Pretty simple. I think I'm on the oldest BIOS since I have not flash it since the initial set up. Should I update to the 1253 BIOS if everything is running fine for me?

Edit: Btw I have i5 2500k, ASUS P8P67

Last edited:
No problems with my P67A-UD4 with i5 2500K @4.4.

If I would have chosen this board in the first place I could have saved myself from a 2 week headache...

Everything is working fine for me. I'm not OCing or have any SSD or RAID system. Pretty simple. I think I'm not the oldest BIOS since I have not flash it since the initial set up. Should I update to the 1253 BIOS if everything is running fine for me?

Edit: Btw I have i5 2500k, ASUS P8P67

If it working, leave it alone. Lot of people have issues with 1253, and there is no way to flash back at this time.

If it working, leave it alone. Lot of people have issues with 1253, and there is no way to flash back at this time.

What about the 1003 or 1053 BIOS? Don't the new BIOS have better stability, bug fixes, and enhancements?

Back