Pokemon 20th Anniversary

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Has it really been 20 years since Pokemon debuted? 1996 feels like it was yesterday. I never really got into Pokemon, but which is your favorite title? I am seeing Gold and Silver on a lot of lists.

Pokemon fans have multiple reasons to celebrate this weekend, which marks the 20th anniversary of the Nintendo franchise. The online and in-person festivities begin on Saturday at 10 a.m. EST, when Pokemon's Twitch channel will begin broadcasting discussions, gameplay footage, and interviews. It will switch over to animated content at 6 p.m., featuring movies, TV episodes, and specials for 24 hours straight. In-person events will complement the virtual celebration at Nintendo locations and toy stores around the country.

a bunch of pikachuus scared my dog this morning in Brooklyn.

Loved Pokemon. Still do. Now my 8yo nephew is into it. We watch the anime together, battle on our 3dsXL's, and have card matches every day when he gets home from school. Gold/Silver was pretty nifty. Was the first round of new Pokemon :) I still have those gold plated metal things from Burger King for promo stuff back when the first movie came to the theaters. My special edition Game Boy Color Pikachu edition is in a box somewhere around here.
The memories!

I actually just picked up the Pokemon Special 3DS bundle today. Pokemon was pretty much my entire 5th and 6th grade. So I nostalgia HARD when it comes to Pokemon.

I do some collecting of the original merchandise; nothing crazy or hardcore. I have most of the original card set, some unopened and a box full of the old 90s and early 2000's toys/figures. When ever I come across the early stuff at yardsales and what not I usually snag them.

As far as my favorite game, I haven't really kept up with the games past Gen 3. I have some of the newer ones but I just play through once and dont touched them again unless they're a remake of the originals. The remakes of Silver and Gold were really good but I'd say my favorite was Emerald.

What amazes me is how kids now are still all about Pokemon. My little nephew who's 7 collects the cards with all of his friends. I thought the popularity was waning a few year ago but I guess not, not at all.

Originally like the concept of Pokemon, but then it got real old really quickly. The whole 1 on 1 battles were quite lame, took them 20 years to change that from what I understand. Plus I played two different versions across two different platforms but they felt like the same exact game.

I like Dragon Quest Monsters infinitely better.

Bought pokemon yellow from the e-shop earlier. I used to play that game a ton when I was little, good memories.

Poke'mon Red and Blue (don't forget about Green!) were awesome, especially on the Gameboy Color back in '98.
Even though they weren't GBC games, they still looked great, had awesome soundtracks, and were a ton of fun.

Being able to use the link cable between a GB and GBP or GBC was an awesome feature, too.
The games and the technology they promoted were awesome for the time period.

Was a Pokemon fan back in 2000 but lost interest in it somewhere in 2002 though I admit the games were fun. Loved the first and second generation games, after that I just didn't care for it anymore.

Gold, Silver, Crystal and Blue and Red are my favourites, Didn't really care for the remakes though, though Heartgold and Soulsilver was better than the first generation remake.

Still love the music in the first generation games though.

Brings back memories of 5th/6th grade... nutty evangelical parents complaining about how anything related to Harry Potter/Pokemon (including t-shirts) were the work of SATAN and needed to be BANNED.

I played Yellow and Gold (as well as Snap and Stadium on the 64). I guess I grew out of it after the N64 era.

Oh man those were the days. Blue and Red for me! Played a bit of yellow it was not bad too but prefer the OG pokemon, as spent most time on it. My fav is mew, mewtwo and MISSINGNO. ^_^

My kid was/is really into Pokémon. I bought my own DSlite so I could play Pokémon with them (along with other games). Went through all the Pokémon DS games over the years, but when they stopped supporting the DS and only released Pokémon games on the 3DS, I gave it up. Just couldn't see spending another $200 to buy a 3DS for a single game.

Back