Points per Watt?

mtb2005

Limp Gawd
Hello all!

As a long time Folding@home advocate, I just recently started paying attention to electricity consumption. My kill-a-watt just came in the mail today, and I have the following readings:

Only GPU folding: 6000PPD/310W = 19.3
Both CPU and GPU: 42000PPD/456W = 92.1
Only CPU: 38000PPD/398W = 95.4

My question is this--how are people (like the SR-2 people out there!) getting such high PPD/W numbers? (ie, in the 200-300 range?). I know my processor isn't the most energy efficient on the planet, but it certainly is up there. In the long run, I want to maximize PPD/W, and was considering getting an i7 970 (hopefully getting me in the 150 range), but if an SR-2 can get 100k++ out of such little power, I might consider it.

Any thoughts?

The difference is that, with the current system that gives bonus points exponentially for a quick return of results, the SR-2 systems can put up some crazy PPD.

My SR-2 system with dual X5650s at 4.1GHz does roughly 140000PPD and draws about 590W according to my Kill-A-Watt, so that gives a PPD/W of almost 240.

Hello all!

My question is this--how are people (like the SR-2 people out there!) getting such high PPD/W numbers? (ie, in the 200-300 range?). I know my processor isn't the most energy efficient on the planet, but it certainly is up there. In the long run, I want to maximize PPD/W, and was considering getting an i7 970 (hopefully getting me in the 150 range), but if an SR-2 can get 100k++ out of such little power, I might consider it.

Because bonus points are exponential, not linear.

Is this with the rig in your signature? have you tried without overclocking? afaict when you overclock power consumption goes up much faster than performance does.

It is the nature of bigadv - the faster you go the more you are rewarded. - double the speed, get triple the points. This makes the very fastest systems also the best PPD/W.

Sandy bridge systems look great - they can do over 50K for ~210w, which is SR2 class PPD/W but in smaller chunks. (My rigs do 250 to 280 PPD/W depending on how overclocked) But the bonus curve makes overclocking higher worth it more than is normally the case.

Now I want to see data on safields new 48 core monster for power draw. 265,000 ppd for probably 450 watts? That is nudging 600 PPD/W. :eek:

I7 920s @ ~4 GHz should be able to break 100 ppd/W (I think mine were at 108 ppd/W when I had them.) Your power draw for CPU-only seems high - my 970 @ 4.35 only pulls 310W.

As mentioned before, the exponential bonus point scale is what allows the inflated ppd/W numbers. My 3 dual hex SR-2 machines all get 260 ppd/W or better, mainly because the all do 1300K ppd or better for 500W or less. The two dual quad machines are about the same at 210 ppd/W. My 970 does really well for a single proc machine at 215 ppd/W, which is the main reason I still have it. The 2600K machines look good for well over 200 ppd/W, which makes them very attractive for folding once they are back in stock.

A 970 would be a good upgrade option for you. From the looks of your wattage numbers, a more efficient PSU might be a good ideal as well. One thing to remember is that these 250+ ppd/W machines are too expensive for most people to buy. It is all about what you want to acheive and how much you are willing to spend to get there.

I just went through my case and unplugged everything I don't need--extra fans, hard drives, etc. and brought it down to 330ish. Most likely when it's all said and done, I'll be in the 115-120 range....though if I see a nice hex core deal, I might have to jump on it!

It is the nature of bigadv - the faster you go the more you are rewarded. - double the speed, get triple the points. This makes the very fastest systems also the best PPD/W.

Sandy bridge systems look great - they can do over 50K for ~210w, which is SR2 class PPD/W but in smaller chunks. (My rigs do 250 to 280 PPD/W depending on how overclocked) But the bonus curve makes overclocking higher worth it more than is normally the case.

Now I want to see data on safields new 48 core monster for power draw. 265,000 ppd for probably 450 watts? That is nudging 600 PPD/W. :eek:

hes running the 2.3Ghz chips so the power usage is probably going to be a bit higher then what 10e is seeing, he's in the 550w range, which would put the 2.3Ghz chips some where in the 575 maybe 600 range. then add the watercooling loop hes running, hes probably closer to 625 or 650w.

hes running the 2.3Ghz chips so the power usage is probably going to be a bit higher then what 10e is seeing, he's in the 550w range, which would put the 2.3Ghz chips some where in the 575 maybe 600 range. then add the watercooling loop hes running, hes probably closer to 625 or 650w.

Thanks for the correction, I have no idea from what crufty corner of my brain I got that 450w figure from. But he is still raking it in on PPD/W.... droooool.

Back