Pointless in getting a 6800/800xt due to mb bottle-neck?

marshmallow

Weaksauce
What would YOU upgrade the graphics card in this setup to:

asus nforce2 deluxe board
amd xp 2500 (oc'ed to 2.0) (3000 upgrade in the future?)
2x256 3200
fx5600 ultra (256mb) <- the disapointment

Ive had this card for about a year? It needs to go, and the entire fx series needs to be shot. Should I go the 9800 pro route, or does nvidia make a decent card below the 6800 series that will help me out? Should I just upgrade my cpu some (already planed if I can find a used 3000/3200 barton)? Would getting too-high a graphics card be pointless due to the bottleneck that the mb would cause?

I just want to play far-cry, doom 3, and source on a different card because this one has brrn a real let down.

Get a Gainward Golden Sample 6800GT Ultra/2400. Overclocked by Gainward to Ultra Levels. U will see a big diference and love it. I know, I have one in my NF7/2500+M@2550actual 230FSB/2x512 Giel Golden Dragon/.....

I wouldn't go any lower than a 6800 (9800pro 5900xt etc), you wouldn't see much of a gain performance wise.

yeah plus the bottle neck means you can max out everything for awhile, the 2500 is a great cpu, no need in segregating it from the 6800 series

Well Athlon 3000+'s and Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz's on up will be able to run things at slightly higher levels due to the fact that they are faster CPU's. But theres always going to be bottlenecks in systems. What you need to do is buy the 6800GT and upgrade your CPU when extra cash allows.

You will still see HUGE gains over your current card.

the only thing holding back performance is your 400Mhz FSB. and it wont hold back enough performance to justify not getting a kickass card like the 6800GT. go for it and on the plus side if you do upgrade or buy a new computer then you can just transplant that videocard into the new system. :D

Do not get a 3000/3200+ barton, you basically already have one. speaking from personal expierence, games right now are so GPU dependant that you want to get the best card you can moreso than a faster processor. I went from this setup:

[email protected] GHZ
444 fsb cas 2.5
1 GB ram
AGP 8x

This new setup is really pushing that 9800pro around- to get any kind of significant gains in just about any games or gaming benchmarks I have to push the card, meaning that it is the bottleneck. When I go from 2.20 GHZ to 2.5GHZ on the CPU- the difference is pathetic in just about any gaming application. :(

DirtyApe said:
the only thing holding back performance is your 400Mhz FSB. and it wont hold back enough performance to justify not getting a kickass card like the 6800GT.
I have to agree but if your really worried about a bottleneck then a vanilla 6800 should be fine. I'd be interested in the 5600 U once you get a new card, I just need an FX with TV out.

Back