• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Point me to a decent PC Builder Guide

BigGreenMat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
128
Basically I have my components all in a row. I have a knowledgable friend to help, but he isn't completely up to date on building a modern system. All I want is a decent guide that will just give me a general guide on the step by step of what to connect first and what to install first as I go about setting this system up. I will be using Win XP. I have heard you can make a CD with a complete updated OS on it so you aren't vulnerable when grabbing the updates online. Any programs like that to prepare would be great too!! Thanks for any help. Oh and if it helps pick the guide here are my system components.

A64 3200+ Winchester Retail
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Retail
Samsung Floppy OEM
NEC 3500A DVD Writer OEM
Maxtor 300GB 16MB SATAII NCQ drive OEM
Antec SuperLanBoy case
Antec NEOPower 480W modular PS Retail
Soundblaster Audigy ZS 2 Platinum
Xterasys 802.11G wireless PCI card
Logitech Z-5500 speakers
BFG 6800GT OC PCI-E Retail (although I might have to start the system up on an old Voodoo 3 PCI)
 
For building:
Doc Overclock's Guide

As far as being vulnerable, just don't plug your LAN (modem, etc) in until you boot into XP and turn on your XP Firewall.

Good luck.
 
Keep in mind that if you add the LAN afterwards (if it is PCI ethernet or wifi), windows will require that you re-activate, if you already activated it.
 
I am still amazed each time I see people post links to a guide on building a computer. If you have a manual that came with your motherboard, and you add a smidge of common sense, you have everything you need. Oh, and you will need the skill or screwdriver operation.

I laugh my ass off when I see these threads. My fiancee knows very little about a computer, but I laid out the parts for her on a table, and while I was running errands that day she had almost the whole thing built correctly, except for the LED connectors from the case to the mobo. Why do people think it's so hard you need a guide?
 
djnes said:
I am still amazed each time I see people post links to a guide on building a computer. If you have a manual that came with your motherboard, and you add a smidge of common sense, you have everything you need. Oh, and you will need the skill or screwdriver operation.

I laugh my ass off when I see these threads. My fiancee knows very little about a computer, but I laid out the parts for her on a table, and while I was running errands that day she had almost the whole thing built correctly, except for the LED connectors from the case to the mobo. Why do people think it's so hard you need a guide?

Welcome to the General Hardware forum djnes, where not everyone is as smart as your fiancé.
:rolleyes:
 
xplicit said:
Welcome to the General Hardware forum djnes, where not everyone is as smart as your fiancé.
:rolleyes:

Instead of making an attempt at humor, you'd step back and put some thought into it.

Do you know the best way of learning how to build a computer? No, not a guide. Getting in there with the parts and figuring it out. It's quite obvious where most things go, and then if your not sure you do a little something call RTFM to find out where something plugs in. Sorry if that's too advanced of a concept for you to grasps, leaving you only with weak attempts at humor.
 
djnes, is there anything wrong with humor? Humor makes you laugh, which makes you feel good.....
 
Sirje31337 said:
djines, is there anything wrong with humor? Humor makes you laugh, which makes you feel good.....

Nothing at all wrong with humor....read some of my other posts...humor is great...

I just prefer my humor to be well....humorous.
 
djnes, you catch you fiancé cheating or something? Sheesh, give the kid a break. I'm assuming you didn't actually read his post. He asked for guides with information such as what steps to put together hardware, and ways to go about installing software in the most secure manner NOT "how do I put a computer together". Things like these are not things you would learn just throwing everything together. Yes any idiot with a screwdriver can put the computer together, he just wanted to make sure he did it right. Calm down a bit.

0zac
 
pr0zac said:
djnes, you catch you fiancé cheating or something? Sheesh, give the kid a break. I'm assuming you didn't actually read his post. He asked for guides with information such as what steps to put together hardware, and ways to go about installing software in the most secure manner NOT "how do I put a computer together". Things like these are not things you would learn just throwing everything together. Yes any idiot with a screwdriver can put the computer together, he just wanted to make sure he did it right. Calm down a bit.

0zac


If it turns on and Posts with no pops, hisses, or smokie....he did it right!
 
Thanks for the defense pr0zac. I mean jesus you think I went through all the research I did on the parts that I want and how to overclock them correctly and don't know how to plug in my floppy drive? That shit is simple as pie, but when I go to start it up I would rather have some stuff to fall back on as far as simple errors that I might have missed. I mean one easy example is since I am using a SATA and would boot my OS from that drive which controller do I want? I know the answer to this is I want to use my NVRAID controller because for some reason the 2nd SATA controller seems to only work with an actual RAID setup. Also I would really like to partition my drive and have a XP only partition and a game only partition. I know plenty of this sort of crap, but damned if it isn't my first time going through the whole process and I want to be as prepared as possible.
 
BigGreenMat said:
Basically I have my components all in a row. I have a knowledgable friend to help, but he isn't completely up to date on building a modern system. All I want is a decent guide that will just give me a general guide on the step by step of what to connect first and what to install first as I go about setting this system up. I will be using Win XP. I have heard you can make a CD with a complete updated OS on it so you aren't vulnerable when grabbing the updates online. Any programs like that to prepare would be great too!! Thanks for any help. Oh and if it helps pick the guide here are my system components.

A64 3200+ Winchester Retail
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Retail
Samsung Floppy OEM
NEC 3500A DVD Writer OEM
Maxtor 300GB 16MB SATAII NCQ drive OEM
Antec SuperLanBoy case
Antec NEOPower 480W modular PS Retail
Soundblaster Audigy ZS 2 Platinum
Xterasys 802.11G wireless PCI card
Logitech Z-5500 speakers
BFG 6800GT OC PCI-E Retail (although I might have to start the system up on an old Voodoo 3 PCI)


Back to the original question.....
Scroll down to the step by step how to guide
here.
 
Well I have pretty much everything wired up. Only disappointing thing is that my mobo doesn't have power for the LEDs on my case straight out. Hopefully I have everything set up correctly. I have my windows disc and other stuff so I am now ready to see if my motherboard posts and I can install the OS. Any last tips? I know I have to do a primary boot off my optical drive and install to a SATA.
 
BigGreenMat said:
Well I have pretty much everything wired up. Only disappointing thing is that my mobo doesn't have power for the LEDs on my case straight out. Hopefully I have everything set up correctly. I have my windows disc and other stuff so I am now ready to see if my motherboard posts and I can install the OS. Any last tips? I know I have to do a primary boot off my optical drive and install to a SATA.

You may be able to find the pin-outs in your mobo manual and with some creativity, get the LEDs connected and working from your case.
 
Back
Top