POE switches why/why?

todlerix

2[H]4U
Edit: Looking for unmanaged switch with POE on all ports 4/8/12/16.

I'm looking for some POE switches to power voip phones, the company providing the phones and voip has no suggestions for me.

I need at leasts 8 POE ports for location 1, 12 POE ports for location 2, 16 POE ports for location 3.

Browsing newegg's selection I either see unmanaged switches with only half the ports w/ POE or I see managed switches that are hugely expensive.

Why are there no unmanaged 8/12/16 port switches with all ports w/ POE?

Looking at some other locations to buy since newegg's selection might be lacking.

Last edited:
I have used dell switches for POE phones, they work great, and don't cost a crap ton, but warranty sucks

Any good dell units that would work well for voip?

Only half of them are full power ports, I'll have to see what is required by the devices, thanks.

look at power injector bars, especially if your current infrastructure doesn't need replacing

WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI

Cisco 3550, L3, 10/100, PoE, Under 200 bucks. A work horse that will keep on chugging. I'm running about four of these; about a year and a half solid now. :)

I see them on eBay from $60-$195 right as I type this, there are even some 48 port versions in that price range. Go nuts! :D

power injectors stink since you loose the ability to remotely power cycle the device with a simple shut / no shut. From what we have seen with access points and phones, 80% of problems can be fixed by rebooting; if you are using POE you can shut / no shut to reboot from any location.

For POE switches we use Cisco 3750 or 3750e depending on which devices we are connecting. Sometimes it is worth spending a few hundred extra bucks since you will be able to recycle the hardware during future buildouts.

power injectors stink since you loose the ability to remotely power cycle the device with a simple shut / no shut. From what we have seen with access points and phones, 80% of problems can be fixed by rebooting; if you are using POE you can shut / no shut to reboot from any location.

For POE switches we use Cisco 3750 or 3750e depending on which devices we are connecting. Sometimes it is worth spending a few hundred extra bucks since you will be able to recycle the hardware during future buildouts.

few hundred? its nearly 2 grand for a 24port

I'm after something cheap for this particular setup, nothing fancy just need power over each device. I wasn't part of this until everything was already decided, so they might end up ordering power adapters for each phone.

FYI

One, you need to be very careful selecting your PoE switch, most of the cheap ones have power limits. My company didn't check when buying a cheap one, they needed 4 PoE ports and bought one of the linksys 8port with 4 being PoE ports. That switch was only capable of powering one phone.

Two, If using cisco phones, you should look for a good managed cisco PoE switch. Unless you want your phone to take ~60seconds to boot (which is not really that bad since rarely need to reboot phones). I believe cisco phones look at vlan2 for 30seconds before giving up and trying vlan1 (searching for dhcp option 66).

Check the new Cisco Small business line. the SG300 series. They have a 10 port unit with "Max Power" option that gives full PoE on each port.

They also include everything for voice VLAN, QoS, etc.

I just got the non-PoE 10 port unit and it's been great so far (only 2 days though). Lifetime warranty and updates too.

The 8 port max power PoE (124W) is ~$500 for gigabit or $375 for 10/100
24 port gives you 160W and is ~$650 for gigabit or $450 for 10/100

They are fully managed layer 3 "lite"..

Riley

Dell/Cisco 3524's can be had on ebay for $150-200 and are 24 port POE switches.
$650 if you buy from dell.

this hadn't occurred to me, but it was not my choice when i've had to use the injectors in the past, either. i'll definitely bring this up if i see them at future installations, though

Cisco 3550\3524\3548's are all pre 802.3af standard, may not be the best choice depending on what you are powering. The HP J8762A is an 8 port 802.3af compliant switch and can be had for a relatively reasonable price.

Cisco 3550\3524\3548's are all pre 802.3af standard, may not be the best choice depending on what you are powering. The HP J8762A is an 8 port 802.3af compliant switch and can be had for a relatively reasonable price.

If I can't find an unmanaged POE switch I'll definitely consider these thank you.

Cisco just released some nice 300 series poe gigabit switches not bad prices either.

Make sure you keep an eye on the port power, some switches have low power per port.

this. also we use HP procurve 2626. very expensive.

Back