• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

POE switch selection to replace a Cisco 3560G

Valnar

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 3, 2001
Messages
4,562
I'm an IT professional and have a Cisco 3560G POE switch at home (WS-C3560G-24PS-S). I want to replace it with something cheaper. It may sound counter-intuitive to do so, but I really don't need the features it provides and it's getting long in the tooth.

Problems:
It is loud as hell and you can't slow that 4-pin blower down. It's in the basement, but still....annoying.
It's POE is only 802.3af.
It has shared ASIC's for groups of 4 ports - so I have to wire my devices carefully.

What I am looking for is something that has at least a couple 802.3at (30W) POE ports, much quieter (doesn't have to be fanless), better overall throughput and at least basic L3 static routing. 24 gigabit ports. I want to use this switch as my default-gateway for all my devices, not the upstream firewall. That's all the routing I needed in the 3560. And it has to have basic smart switch capabilities - vlans, 802.1q trunking, routing between vlans, SNMP, port-spanning capabilities.

Price is of a concern. I don't care if it's only web based. Any recommendations? I'm looking at Netgear, D-Link, Zyxel and the like. Not HP, Dell, or anything more expensive. Right now, this Netgear switch seems to fit the bill, but welcome feedback or other choices.
 
I'm a Cisco guy, but for a side project I just installed a 24 port Gigabit POE Ubiquiti switch for a client. Overall, it was easy to set up and i purchased the security module so i can manage it from anywhere. I'm not doing any L3, so i'm not sure what kind of routing this thing might or might not be able to do. I am running Ubiquiti APs, and plan on doing security cameras at a later date. It runs a office of about 10.

Unifi Switch 24 (250w)
Unifi Cloud Key (controller software)

After i did the firmware upgrade, the fans are pretty quiet.

I paid about $475 new for both
 
I couldn't see where the Zyxel supported L3 static routing.

But I ended up buying a used D-Link DGS-1500-28P. It appears to have all the features I needed. Thanks for the suggestions.
 
Last edited:
Looks like D-Link lies. I got the switch from eBay and it's louder than my Cisco! Ugh. I'll send it back if I can, or resell it.
 
I'm a Cisco guy, but for a side project I just installed a 24 port Gigabit POE Ubiquiti switch for a client. Overall, it was easy to set up and i purchased the security module so i can manage it from anywhere. I'm not doing any L3, so i'm not sure what kind of routing this thing might or might not be able to do. I am running Ubiquiti APs, and plan on doing security cameras at a later date. It runs a office of about 10.

Unifi Switch 24 (250w)
Unifi Cloud Key (controller software)

After i did the firmware upgrade, the fans are pretty quiet.

I paid about $475 new for both

Theres also the plain old EdgeSwtich 250W if you don't want to deal with a controller. We're slowly replacing all our switches with EdgeSwitch models. I think we have around 15 of them currently operating, with no issues.
 
I'm running a Fortinet FS-224B-POE - Pretty quick easy to set up. I purchased this to replace a failing Cisco POE switch as well.
 
Back
Top