poe switch for home lab

alphabanks

n00b
I need to purchase a poe switch for my home lab. So I would like to ask what are you guys using? This switch will be for a few phones and some AP's.

What kind of feature set do you need? Gigabit? Management? L2/3?

If you want new and just a flat 10/100 switch, check out the Zyxel POE stuff on Amazon. Otherwise Fleabay is where it's at, for used network gear. Used POE switches are typically reasonably cheap.

I believe Toughswitch (regular 5 port) supports only 24V PoE devices. Toughswitch Pro (8 ports) do support both 24v and 48v devices (but not both at the same time???).

I believe Toughswitch (regular 5 port) supports only 24V PoE devices. Toughswitch Pro (8 ports) do support both 24v and 48v devices (but not both at the same time???).

Its select-able per port.

Cisco C3560-24PS-S, probably overkill for what you specified, but a decent workhorse (also Layer 3 and somewhat cheap these days. May or may not support the voltages you need however.)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if you already have a switch and don't want to spend a ton, I've used these in several places with good success.
http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-ENC-...F8&qid=1402615297&sr=8-3&keywords=passive+poe

Does require a bit more care making sure you are plugging the right voltage equipment into the ports, it's not smart like a switch. Older unifi AP's are 24V, a lot of phones and wifi points are 48v.

+1, I use these for retrofit Unifi Deployments all the time. Bulletproof and cheap!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're persuing Cisco certs go with Cisco 3750-24PS. Priced about the same as 3560-24PS at $100-150 on Ebay but you also stacking experience. Try to choose the highest hardware revision available and get a diagnostic dump to ensure all the ports and POE are functional.

Back