POE injector with 20+ ports, recommendations?

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for a POE injector that has 20+ ports. Does anyone have any recommendations? Things they've worked with that they've liked, or have heard good things about?

Any reason why you don't want a 24-port PoE switch? A managed PoE switch will allow you to manage power where the injector won't.

We're running PowerDsine 24 port units on our Mitel phone system - they are almost 8 years old now and honestly have been absolutely 100% reliable.

Meanwhile I've had 2 HP PoE switches die in the past 3 months, and the Cisco gear (lowest end PoE equipment they make, some of it is Linksys branded) our telco supplies in out of town locations die on a regular basis (honestly, we had to convince them to leave a cold spare onsite because it was causing us such massive downtime).

do those things support gig switches? might be a good option for retrofitting offices that already have managed gig switches w/ poe....

Midspans don't care about the data speed as all they are doing is inserting power on the unused pairs of cat5.

Midspans don't care about the data speed as all they are doing is inserting power on the unused pairs of cat5.

GbE uses all pairs, hence the valid question. The answer is it depends on if the Midspan and consumer device support it.
AFAIK, PoE GbE requires 802.3af Mode A (Power over data pairs) where most (if not all) midspan injectors are Mode B (Power over unused pairs). Since GbE uses all pairs, at best a midspan injector would knock the data rate back to 100Mb; at worst it would not link. Damage should not be possible with 802.3af since the consuimer has to negotiate to receive power- no negotiation, no power.

You might have problems with a midspan that isn't rated for Gig, if you try and use Gig devices. Do it the right way.

Get a proper POE switch or get a gig capable midspan.

I've used powersdine, though I don't know how their stuff is now that they've been bought.

For single port injectors we've used Phihong, which are pretty nice.
They also have multiport units
http://www.phihongusa.com/html/midspans_15_4w_port.html

Mouser.com stocks them.

GbE uses all pairs, hence the valid question. The answer is it depends on if the Midspan and consumer device support it.
AFAIK, PoE GbE requires 802.3af Mode A (Power over data pairs) where most (if not all) midspan injectors are Mode B (Power over unused pairs). Since GbE uses all pairs, at best a midspan injector would knock the data rate back to 100Mb; at worst it would not link. Damage should not be possible with 802.3af since the consuimer has to negotiate to receive power- no negotiation, no power.

I blew up a polycom phone by plugging it into an 802.3af injector that in turn was plugged into a Cisco inline power switch.

Back