podcasts not on an iPod?

miskari

[H]ard|Gawd
is there a way to get podcasts on a non-apple mp3 player?? i have the sandisk Sansa e260 and id like to get some podcasts on it, i know its only a .mp3 files but is there a program that can get the XML feeds (i think thats what it is) onto my mp3 player? thanks

I've been downloading some Podcasts recently and I've asked the same question since I have an iriver mp3 player.

Surprisingly, I was browsing my "My Music" folder when I found some sub-folders for iTunes and Podcasts. mp3 files of each downloaded podcast were in there. I don't know how they got there but they played just fine on the iriver.

There don't seem to be any settings in iTunes that turn this on (or off for that matter) but I was pleasantly surprised to find the files.

Podcasts are just audio files. There's nothing about podcasts that limit them to the iPod. If you just want an aggregator, give Juice a try.

I use Google ig, and put all the podcasts I listen to in a 'Podcast' page. The RSS feeds update automatically.

Podcast = voice only (for the most part) broadcast, typically in mp3 format.

I've never seen or heard of a podcast that wasn't an mp3 file. The name "podcast" came from the popularity of people being able to use iTunes to load up their iPods with podcasts using RSS feeds - in other words, they subscribed to a bunch of different podcasts, pointed iTunes to the RSS feed and voila, instant and automagically updating downloads with little or zero user intervention.

Plug in your iPod, iTunes syncs everything from your library (or at least what you tell it to) and the podcasts too.

So, podcasts are mp3 files even on iPods; they're not AAC format or tied specifically to any particular device. MP3 is still the "standard" so if a podcaster wants the broadest possible audience to listen in, then using mp3 format files is the only way to do that because obviously it's the most popular format supported on pretty much every single portable audio device ever made.

Hope this helps...

bbz_Ghost said:
Podcast = voice only (for the most part) broadcast, typically in mp3 format.

I've never seen or heard of a podcast that wasn't an mp3 file.

Podcasts are NOT voice only. There are plenty of music podcasts. (Preying Lizards Chill Pill Show)

Plenty of podcasts are in m4a format.(Blue Canoe Records)

I have just gotten into this. WIKI. Juice seems like a good podcast downloader.
I have set it up to get about a dozen podcasts. Of those, 2 of them came in as .m4a files that will not play on my RCA Lyra (but will play on quicktime). They can be converted with software, but it dosent seem worth it.

I suggest checking on the site hosting the podcasts, there should be some info on file types. Some even offer format options. (diggnation, i think)

Back