pocket cameras

wandplus

Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
598
Is the industry working like a cartel lately? Because if I look for point and shoot digital cameras now I have the impression they're only models above $400 US (or $500 Canadian) or more. There used to be a whole bunch on Amazon years ago at various price levels.
 
0-100: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+camera&low-price=&high-price=100
100-230: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+camera&low-price=100&high-price=230
215-400; https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+camera&low-price=215&high-price=400

Still some choice ? Canon EOS Rebel around 300-350, the KODAK PIXPRO AZ528 at $225 right now and what not.

I imagine smarthphone created pressure toward 2 market, really expensive with special lens need, really cheap for kids when parent want them to have a camera but not a phone. But there is still a surprising large offer between the 2, looking at bestbuy-amazon...
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is the industry working like a cartel lately? Because if I look for point and shoot digital cameras now I have the impression they're only models above $400 US (or $500 Canadian) or more. There used to be a whole bunch on Amazon years ago at various price levels.
Smartphones have effectively gutted the point-and-shoot market even compared to a few years ago. If you care about having a compact dedicated camera, you probably want quality that's tangibly better than what's on a good smartphone; that generally rules out budget point-and-shoots. I see a handful, like the Canon Elph 360 HS, but we're past the days of having many affordable models to choose from.

I look at it this way: my main phone (I have the luxury of using others) is an iPhone 16 Pro. In some cases it takes better photos than the mirrorless camera I once used for my best shots; it's definitely much better for sharing photos or editing them after the fact. I even use it for some work photography. I would only go back to using a separate camera if I were a full-time photographer or had specific needs (special lenses, large-format photos, that sort of thing), and then I'd likely splash out on something like a Sony full-frame cam.
 
Last edited:
My guess is no demand. There's an odd youtube channel called markuspix that frequently showcases low-cost equipment; but much of it is very basic
 
Back
Top