PNY 9600gt lag problems

chaarlieee

n00b
I bought this card last week and it came in on Monday. I put it in the first day and I had random lag/frame rate drops with this card.

I upgraded from a 7900gt.

With the 7900gt, I would get no lag and my frame rate would be anywhere from 60 to 120 fps in CS:S.

With the 9600gt, I get random lag spikes every minute in CS:S. In CoD4 I also get random lag spikes and my ping is sometimes high or other players' ping is high. I have good fps for both of these games though. With the 9600gt, CS:S is smooth, getting over 100fps on max settings, and CoD4 gets decent frame rates from 30 to 75 fps. It's just that the random frame rate drops/lag spikes are too frequent and happen about every minute.

Antec 900 with the side panel fan blowing on the video card
Corsair 550vx PSU
Abit IP35-e motherboard
Intel e2180 OC'ed to 3.2ghz
2gb Corsair DDR2 at 4-4-4-12 800mhz
PNY 9600gt
Seagate 7200.10 500gb hdd
Auzentech X-Plosion 5.1 sound card
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 TV tuner

Windows XP Pro SP 2 32-bit
Roadrunner cable internet

I've googled and it seems to be a common problem, but no one knows how to fix it. I'm guessing it's a driver issue.

Anyone have an idea what's wrong? I'm thinking that the power supply could be the problem because it is powering too many components, but I haven't done anything to check if the PSU is the problem. Or could it be the 9600gt itself?

I just uninstalled the drivers for a second time. I also cleared the registry of nvidia drivers and right now I'm defragging the hdd to see if any of these will solve the problem. I will also take out the tv tuner to see if that will ease the load of the PSU and fix the problem.

I'll update this thread tomorrow to see if I can fix the problem with

Your power supply, unless defective, is not even close to being stressed out. I used the PNY 9600GT for a couple of weeks in sig pc and power consumption never went much over 200 watts for entire pc. In fact I was using it on the stock 300watt psu without one single issue. The 9600gt only uses about 60-70 watts under full load even though its TDP is 95 watts. Im not sure what your problem is but I had none of those issues with the 9600GT and I tested it in pretty much every modern game I have.

After what I've seen and heard there are some problems with the reference design from Nvidia to all the NV makers of the 9600GT when it comes to the card. I actually had to RMA my XFX card back because I was getting black screens and artifacts all over the place at complete random. Others I have talked to and other threads here on [H] are having similar problems.

Makes me think it's some sort of cooling problem with the 9600GT's hence why they're rushing the shrink to 55nm and V2 cooling here in the next 15-20 days.

The last "good" drivers I had for my 9600GT was the 177.70 drivers and I somehow saw less of the above problem, but still, with what's going on your system, it sounds like a card problem beyond anything else.

Best of luck.

After what I've seen and heard there are some problems with the reference design from Nvidia to all the NV makers of the 9600GT when it comes to the card. I actually had to RMA my XFX card back because I was getting black screens and artifacts all over the place at complete random. Others I have talked to and other threads here on [H] are having similar problems.

Makes me think it's some sort of cooling problem with the 9600GT's hence why they're rushing the shrink to 55nm and V2 cooling here in the next 15-20 days.

The last "good" drivers I had for my 9600GT was the 177.70 drivers and I somehow saw less of the above problem, but still, with what's going on your system, it sounds like a card problem beyond anything else.

Best of luck.
AFAIK there is no cooling issues with the 9600GT and they dont even come close to running hot. Mine idled at 45-47 and never went over 62 load in a hot room. Shrinking the card to 55nm has NOTHING to do with any cooling issue.

AFAIK there is no cooling issues with the 9600GT and they dont even come close to running hot. Mine idled at 45-47 and never went over 62 load in a hot room. Shrinking the card to 55nm has NOTHING to do with any cooling issue.

Well then you were lucky to get a good card. Mine idled @ 55C and load went up to 70C. There is something going on with some of the cards out there.

Well then you were lucky to get a good card. Mine idled @ 55C and load went up to 70C. There is something going on with some of the cards out there.
those are perfectly normal 9600gt temps. mine was the newer revised model that had the fan locked at 35% so it ran cooler.

Sounds like an internet problem, not a GPU problem...
It's definitely not an internet problem.

I download at 500kb to 1.1mb.

I have never lagged in games with previous video cards.

In fact, this is the first hardware problem I've ever had, out of about five computers.

I download at 500kb to 1.1mb.

You do know that how fast you can download is irrelevant when it comes to pings/lag in games, right?

I have never lagged in games with previous video cards.

Perhaps, but many things can change. Heck, maybe one of the nodes between you and your favorite game server is getting hit harder than in the past, for example.

I'm just saying its something to consider, as it seems like the most likely suspect (as the FPS are high, which would indicate it isn't the GPU). Run FRAPs in benchmark mode and see if the lag spikes correspond with a sudden FPS drop - if the FPS doesn't drop, then I doubt it has anything to do with the GPU... You could also try a botmatch in CS:S. If it doesn't lag then, then there isn't a problem with the GPU+drivers.

You do know that how fast you can download is irrelevant when it comes to pings/lag in games, right?

Perhaps, but many things can change. Heck, maybe one of the nodes between you and your favorite game server is getting hit harder than in the past, for example.

I'm just saying its something to consider, as it seems like the most likely suspect (as the FPS are high, which would indicate it isn't the GPU). Run FRAPs in benchmark mode and see if the lag spikes correspond with a sudden FPS drop - if the FPS doesn't drop, then I doubt it has anything to do with the GPU... You could also try a botmatch in CS:S. If it doesn't lag then, then there isn't a problem with the GPU+drivers.
I will try your suggestion this weekend. If it really is the internet, that's a strange problem.

But if I get no lag spikes with my 7900gt in CS:S and CoD4 (on lower settings, 720p, etc), how could it be my internet?

But if I get no lag spikes with my 7900gt in CS:S and CoD4 (on lower settings, 720p, etc), how could it be my internet?

Coincidence. Not everything is a cause-effect, you know ;)

Unless you have swapped between the two cards several times and its reproduceable, but it doesn't sound like you've done that, only that you just replaced the 7900gt with the 4850.

Coincidence. Not everything is a cause-effect, you know ;)

Unless you have swapped between the two cards several times and its reproduceable, but it doesn't sound like you've done that, only that you just replaced the 7900gt with the 4850.
Another way to look at it: this computer is one of three gaming computers on my network. The other two computers don't lag either.

I should also clarify: in CS:S my ping is always like 30, it is never high. And maybe a better term is "freeze", and not lag spike. The game will randomly freeze up every minute or two for about one or two seconds.

In COD4, pings are usually high for some reason, whether it's me or someone else. Sometimes I'll be at a ping of 60 and other people are 150+. Sometimes it'll be the other way around. The pings don't really seem like a huge factor though, because even if my ping is randomly at 150, it doesn't feel like I am lagging at all. The real problem for me is the random freezing.

Sorry for any confusion.

For now I'm hoping it's just a driver issue, but I haven't tested the older drivers yet. I'll call PNY sooner or later.

I got a replacement card in the mail today and the problems are there with this card.

Must be something wrong with my hardware but I can't figure out what is causing the problem.

I'll try a different computer next.

i have no problems with my 9600GT , but its by asus - running latest forceware from nvidia's site... an play CS-S , TF2 , Grid & Many other games fine

my 9600GT idles at around 34C

i have no problems with my 9600GT , but its by asus - running latest forceware from nvidia's site... an play CS-S , TF2 , Grid & Many other games fine

my 9600GT idles at around 34C
34 degrees? are you sure about that? thats the lowest temp I have ever heard of for a modern card and not even close to what I have seen in 9600gt reviews.

Sounds like an internet problem, not a GPU problem...
haha, looks you were right!

I was using a wireless adapter. I turned that off and ran an ethernet cable to my motherboard and that fixed all my problems.

Only problem is that when I use a wired connection on my computer, it always lags when someone uses the computer in the next room. Our computers upstairs are connected through a hub, with the router downstairs.

I also have this weird problem with cod4. I don't lag, but everybody's ping is 999.

haha, looks you were right!

I was using a wireless adapter. I turned that off and ran an ethernet cable to my motherboard and that fixed all my problems.

Only problem is that when I use a wired connection on my computer, it always lags when someone uses the computer in the next room. Our computers upstairs are connected through a hub, with the router downstairs.

I also have this weird problem with cod4. I don't lag, but everybody's ping is 999.

Is it a hub or a switch? Hubs are slow, switches are fast. If it is a hub, get a switch to replace it (they are cheap). Also look into a router or switch with QoS (or if yours has it, enable it). QoS is awesome, I get low pings / minimal lag even when my roomates are downloading files and I have a bittorrent download going.

Is it a hub or a switch? Hubs are slow, switches are fast. If it is a hub, get a switch to replace it (they are cheap). Also look into a router or switch with QoS (or if yours has it, enable it). QoS is awesome, I get low pings / minimal lag even when my roomates are downloading files and I have a bittorrent download going.
Yeah, it's a hub from over 5 years ago... lol.

We have a computer downstairs with the cable modem and router down there. Then we have two computers upstairs connected to the router through a hub.

I got the wireless adapter for my computer because it was $10.

I will look into getting a switch though, thanks for the advice.

Same here mine idles around 45c, hottest i've ever seen it was 62c, most of the time it hits 57c under load.... that's with the fan sitting at 35%...that's the norm from what I have seen.

By the way I have a XFX.

Ugh, sometimes wireless is utterly annoying. I've had all sorts of problems, depending on router, adapter, and environment. It's great when it works, but frequent drops in connection quality are a common problem.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out though!

Back