PNY 6800GT for only $332 (Backorder)

im seriously considering

would this be a good choice

would it OC as good as BFG?

afmo said:
im seriously considering

would this be a good choice

would it OC as good as BFG?
As of now, all 6800GTs are made by nVidia, with the company's sticker slapped on. BFG has a lifetime warranty, PNY has a warranty only as long as the card is manufactured.

nvidia doesnt make any of their cards, where are you getting that

rayg said:
nvidia doesnt make any of their cards, where are you getting that

you sir, are incorrect. who do you think makes the very first reference design cards?

I was *this* close to ordering.

Then I got to the shipping information.

$76.65 for UPS ground shipping. WTF?

Total Order: $ 408.65

No thanks....

jgoewert said:
I was *this* close to ordering.

Then I got to the shipping information.

$76.65 for UPS ground shipping. WTF?

Total Order: $ 408.65

No thanks....

That's strange, I decided to order late last night/early morning, and I was only charge 5.45 for standard ground.

Qty Product Each
1 GeForce 6800 GT AGP 8x 256MB DDR3 (PNYV03P) 332.00
Subtotal: 332.00
Shipping: 5.45
Order Total (US$): 337.45

I suggest clearing the cart and trying again, not sure what caused that, because it's still a a great deal if you can snag it for $337.

Spiff1333 said:
you sir, are incorrect. who do you think makes the very first reference design cards?
Well, I may be incorrect too, but to my knowledge nVidia does NOT make production cards. They make reference samples for the other manufacturers like BFG, PNY, etc. Then those companies mass produce the cards based on nVidia's reference design, any many of them tweak the reference design to make them cheaper (cut corners) or more expensive (bump clockspeeds, better memory/heatsink/etc) or to otherwise add value.

nVidia, unlike ATI, has never produced production-level devices using their chips, unless things have changed recently.

Weird, I tried it again and it came out right this time.

I sent them a letter about it just before posting here and maybe they fixed it or it was a onetime glitch.

Same thing happened to me. First time I ran it through the shopping cart, I was quoted $70 for shipping. I tried again a while later, and now it is only showing $7 or so.

By the way, the price has gone up on the video card, it is now being shown as $339.67. With shipping, $ 346.82.

I pre-ordered one too, I decided I could pay another $10 to get it with 2day shipping.
I was going to have my friend that works at Compusa get me one at cost which is $319 plus tax making it around $341 this deal for me with 2day shipping is $346 so its not that different, and he may not be able to get it for me for awhile so I'll have to wait and see which source produces a card for me first :p

I talked to a Provantage lady, and she said there were over 100 people on the waiting list. She didn't know how many would be shipped out the 26th, but chances are they will not have 100.

So I am expecting a several week wait.

Toad21 said:
I talked to a Provantage lady, and she said there were over 100 people on the waiting list. She didn't know how many would be shipped out the 26th, but chances are they will not have 100.

So I am expecting a several week wait.
:( :( :(

Anyones preorder on this still have a date? mine says they don't have a firm date any more :(

just ordered mine tonight, i hope it O/C's as well as the BFGs.
I was planning on getting an XT-PE, too bad they are not to be seen. Anywho i will be mostly playing Doom3, and this card should run it quite well.

screamingacorn said:
If you order do they charge you now, or do they charge when the order is shipped?
I would cancel the order and not do business with any company that charged before shipping..

joemama said:
I would cancel the order and not do business with any company that charged before shipping..

I have not been charged, I agree that I would not do business with a company that made that policy.

Damn they ship to Canada, and it's only 27 bucks :)

Damn so torn. I'd love to get a BFG card, but this PNY looks sweet too. I was almost positive that PNY also has a lifetime warranty on the card.

The only problem with PNY that I have heard is that their liftetime warranty only last while they are still making the video card. Once it goes out of production your supposedly out of luck as far as warranty on this card from PNY's standpoint.

Heitai said:
The only problem with PNY that I have heard is that their liftetime warranty only last while they are still making the video card. Once it goes out of production your supposedly out of luck as far as warranty on this card from PNY's standpoint.
That's correct. BFG is a true lifetime warranty, PNY can basically kill the warranty when they damn well please. :rolleyes:

Anyone know what BFG is going to do with regards to the warranty when it goes out-of-production? Refunds or something?

uh guys look at this little gem i found after attempting to check out.

" Out of Stock Items: Occasionally, the price may change on an out-of-stock item due to an unexpected cost increase. If this happens, we will contact you to ask if you want to continue your order at the new price, or cancel your order."

They charged my credit card already, placed order last night - i am going to call them when i get off work to see if it shipped - if not im cancelling my order - i dont like it when im charged without the goods...

I order from Provantage semi-frequently, especially for Christmas items. They're basically a relieable company. Professional. Typical large distributor. Sometimes the prices are good, sometimes not, but I've never felt like I was getting ripped off. Just watch which shipping options you choose.

just spoke with a customer service rep, and she said she wouldnt be surprised if the cards werent shipped until mid-august. If mine hasnt shipped by friday i am going to get an eVGA for 50 dollars more - hey at least I get free farcry! :)

lorcani said:
That's correct. BFG is a true lifetime warranty, PNY can basically kill the warranty when they damn well please. :rolleyes:

Anyone know what BFG is going to do with regards to the warranty when it goes out-of-production? Refunds or something?
They give you an equal card of the current generation. I believe i saw that if your Ti4400 died, you could get it replaced with a FX5900. Pretty damn good.

ignitionxvi said:
They give you an equal card of the current generation. I believe i saw that if your Ti4400 died, you could get it replaced with a FX5900. Pretty damn good.
Wow. That is a good warranty. Thanks for the info. :)

kremkill said:
just spoke with a customer service rep, and she said she wouldnt be surprised if the cards werent shipped until mid-august. If mine hasnt shipped by friday i am going to get an eVGA for 50 dollars more - hey at least I get free farcry! :)

Slippery slope. $50 willl get you Doom 3. I have to admit though, I'm pretty close to doing the same thing.

aldamon said:
Slippery slope. $50 willl get you Doom 3. I have to admit though, I'm pretty close to doing the same thing.
Then again, Far Cry is out and works well, while Doom 3 is still looming in the shadows. It's a tough call. Hell, $50 isn't that much. :D

aldamon, i've had 50 bucks tucked away in a jar labeled doom3 fund for about a year and a half - havent touched it :) If the PNY doesn't ship by tomorrow i get eVGA - i really like the upgrade thing that would enable me to get an ultra within 90 days when they are *hopefully* available

Ok thought my card was being charged, called them up and its just making sure the funds are in there. The speculated ship date is still the 26th from what the lady told me, why they changed that on the main page I don't know. Maybe too many people ordered and the early orders will get it shipped out on the 26th, and others won't.
I'll wait till tuesday, and if it hasn't shipped, or gotten a firm ship date at that point then I'm getting an evga.
Also, does evga have a better warranty than PNY? for $50 I'd rather have a better warranty and farcry.

kremkill said:
aldamon, i've had 50 bucks tucked away in a jar labeled doom3 fund for about a year and a half - havent touched it :) If the PNY doesn't ship by tomorrow i get eVGA - i really like the upgrade thing that would enable me to get an ultra within 90 days when they are *hopefully* available

You're actually stronger than I. I cancelled my Provantage order this morning and went with the eVGA. So I guess I slipped down my own slope. LOL.

I ordered mine last Friday, and I'm sticking with this deal until something definite happens. I hope mine gets shipped out with the first orders, but I doubt it. Hopefully soon...

They axed the deal. Here's the email I just got:

Dear Provantage Customer,

Occasionally, the price may change on an out-of-stock item due to an unexpected cost increase from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, an unexpected cost increase has occurred on an item you ordered, Provantage part# PNYV03P. As a result of this increase, our new price is $448.20.

Please advise if we should proceed with your order at the new price.

Back