Plz help with clearing OS and everything else off an HD

Catsonar

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I have a computer that I would like to sell. i would really like to take everything off like the OS and some personal data that I had on the HD. I would like to just make it blank( if you know what I mean) with nothing, nada, zero, so when the the buyer gets it, he can choose to do what he plzes with it and he doesn't get any of my data. No is there a progran out there that can help me do this? Is it free? i would like free better, or is there a simple process that I can follow that doesn't require a program? or is there something in windows that does this for me? Or is there a computer magic waun that I can use to wave it over the HD? Well you get the idea, plz help, thx :) .

Autoclave is included in Ultimate Boot CD, its awesome, works as a zero fill utility and if you let it run different patterns, old disk information is prolly secure against the NSA :eek:

OldMX

Head to the drive manufactures website and download their tools. Should be one that writes zero's across the drive.

I boot Knoppix & use the "badblocks" tool. Destructive disk testing is a great way to blank out disks.

Catsonar said:
or is there a simple process that I can follow that doesn't require a program?
A hammer + abandoned flooded quarry means never having to say you're sorry.

Just depends on how paranoid you are :D

Autoclave rocks.

But nothing beats a good, heavy hammer. :D

Back