Pluto is a Giant Comet

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 24, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I think I am finally just going to stand my ground on this one and go with Jerry. Pluto is a planet. However, not everyone is with Jerry on this. Southwest Research Institute is suggesting that Pluto is nothing more than a comet. Jerry and I aren't buying this.

“We’ve developed what we call ‘the giant comet’ cosmochemical model of Pluto formation,” said Dr. Christopher Glein of SwRI’s Space Science and Engineering Division. The research is described in a paper published online today in Icarus. At the heart of the research is the nitrogen-rich ice in Sputnik Planitia, a large glacier that forms the left lobe of the bright Tombaugh Regio feature on Pluto’s surface. “We found an intriguing consistency between the estimated amount of nitrogen inside the glacier and the amount that would be expected if Pluto was formed by the agglomeration of roughly a billion comets or other Kuiper Belt objects similar in chemical composition to 67P, the comet explored by Rosetta.”

DrezKill, Chupachup and Eshelmen like this.
  2. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Pluto wasn't officially a planet for a few years and wasn't considered part of the Milky Way galaxy. This guy wants to think he's smart and is reaching deep for answers.

3. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

EVIL-SCOTSMAN [H]ardness Supreme

Thought he was a cartoon character.

Or was that bluto ?

The fat dude in popeye.

Wats his nom

4. Kaitian

Kaitian [H]ardness Supreme

5. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Personally, I think the IAU's established criteria that downgraded Pluto is nonsense.

Jon855, c3k, Darth Kyrie and 6 others like this.
  6. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

7. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardForum Junkie

Asteroids were originally considered planets. Once they discovered 30 or so and found they were all in between Mars and Jupiter they renamed them asteroids, though planet and asteroid were used interchangeably for some time. Now we have something similar with plutoids and various other trans-Neptunian and Kuiper belt objects.

Pluto has less mass than the Moon and it's orbit is highly inclined/crosses Neptune. You can still call it a planet if you want, it's designated as a 'minor planet.'

Now they think maybe there are even more large (Earth or even Jupiter sized) planets way out there. There's no need to get caught up on grief over Pluto.

John721, noxbit, maclem8223 and 5 others like this.
  8. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I thought Pluto is classified as a Dwarf planet, much like the many other planetoids out there beyond the gas giants that have weird orbits that don't follow the orbital plane. "Sedna" and "Eris" come to mind that are lumped in the same distinction.

9. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Pluto might become a planet. Don't hold your breath though. Half a billion years maybe as it accretes material from the Kuiper belt and it's orbit stabilizes. Could have originated as an extra solar system object and developed a regular orbit.

10. viper1152012

viper1152012 Gawd

Has been a "planet" since 1930, reclassified in 2006 in a questionable vote, and is a Plutoid in the dwarf planet category.

Calling it a dwarf planet is what made them give up on having it reclassified.

Personally, it has moons and is a planet to me. Accretion will prove me right in the long run.

Lol

velusip and DejaWiz like this.
  11. Kwaz

Kwaz Whine & Cheezy

Wrong.

Pluto is Planet X you nut job :rolleyes:

GDI Lord likes this.
  12. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak Gawd

Pluto is a big ball of lost hammers, sockets, and socks. You heard it here first.

Darth Kyrie, noxbit, GDI Lord and 6 others like this.
  13. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

14. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ardness Supreme

Tis better to be the biggest comet than the smallest planet.

oROEchimaru, gigaxtreme1 and Methos like this.
  15. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

Then maybe all planets are giant comets.

16. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?

oROEchimaru likes this.
  17. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

18. EJ42

EJ42 n00bie

I was wondering who Jerry is. It would be nice to add some context to obscure references.

19. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

It was a necessary evil, otherwise we'd have Ceres in the main asteroid belt, Eris, Haumea, Makemake, and hundreds of more potential planets.

20. jhymesba

jhymesba n00bie

"My Very Educated Mother Cannot Just Serve Us Nine Pizzas. Hundreds May Eat."

Mercury
    Venus
    Earth
    Mars
    Ceres
    Jupiter
    Saturn
    Uranus
    Neptune
    Pluto.
    Haumea
    Make-Make
    Eris

(And it gets stupid-crazy when the hundreds actually sit down at the table...)

21. gwarren007

gwarren007 [H]ardForum Junkie

22. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Not necessarily. We could have established other criteria to "sort" these objects if need be.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  23. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

Pluto's a fuckin' planet, bitch!

Jtal likes this.
  24. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

Youtube + Jerry + Pluto =

25. Hornet

Hornet [H]ardness Supreme

Pluto was thought to be a planet because it happened to be the first Kuiper belt object found. Had we knew at that time that this Kuiper belt existed, I'm pretty sure Pluto would not have been classified as a planet, or even being seen as a unique object in this belt of icy bodies.

This is merely updating our knowledge with new discovery, I see no reason to religiously insist it is still a planet.

M76 likes this.
  26. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

I disliked them changing Pluto at first, but honestly the reasoning is fairly sound. There are even larger objects in that belt than Pluto... If we are going to name them all planets shit could get interesting. So far, the most common answer why Pluto should continue to be a full fledged planet is because "that is the way it has been for a long time.."

27. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

Dayaks likes this.
  28. EJ42

EJ42 n00bie

If I wanted to get my news from YouTube...

29. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Pluto a comet? Aye and if my grandmother had wheels shed be a wagaon...

Pluto should be grandfathered in.

30. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Each particle in it's material make-up in exactly 10mm. Quite a cosmic conundrum...

31. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Except for that one right there is 1/4 inch because some fucker decided it was a good idea to mix metric and imperial

32. Zumino Zufeilon

Zumino Zufeilon Gawd

Pretty much this.

It was called a planet, because before 1930, some folks made math mistakes that predicted a "Planet IX" at about the spot they found Pluto a few years later.

Then, a few years after that, someone else realized the math mistakes, but left it alone because there wasn't anything else out there, so why not.

With the discovery of Sedna, Eris, Haumea, Makemake and a 1/2 dozen more that we know of now, it was realized that there were a LOT of "pluto's" out there.
    Unless you want to call them all planets, there is no way to draw a line that keeps Pluto a planet, and not Makemake or Eris one also.

So, just as happened with the Asteroids in the Belt, they were reclassified from planet to something else.
    In the case of the asteroids, this happened before 'normal' people started getting taught much about the planets, so nobody really cared, it was just a naming/logistics thing.
    Now it's "They're taking away my childhood", or whatever.

There are some reasonable arguments to be made about the IAU classification scheme, and where they draw the lines, but there are going to be reasonable arguments with any naming convention.

maclem8223 likes this.
  33. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Someone evidently told Trump that pluto was a reflection of his manhood, so now it is the "Biggest comet".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

DeathFromBelow and oROEchimaru like this.
  34. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

But you do agree with Jerry that pluto is a planet right?

35. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

"That's no moon"

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  36. dreadcthulhu

dreadcthulhu n00bie

One easy idea would be to simply use Pluto as the line; anything the size of Pluto or larger gets to be a planet, anything smaller gets shuffled into some other category. Of course, then we have to decide if we are measuring by mass or by volume; Eris for example is 27% more massive than Pluto, but slightly smaller by diameter.

37. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

There are currently over 300 known objects that either fit or may possibly fit the same criteria, dwarf planet, right now. If you want Pluto to be a planet then you have to allow the rest of them in too. There's no such thing as "grandfather clause" in science.

For people worried about the ninth planet, be more interested in a possible real planet nine.

That's just making up arbitrary bull shit.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  38. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

or my penis

39. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Oh please, we arent talking about "laws" of physics or chemical interactions here. We are talking about a man made arbitrary definition of a celestial body. There certainly can be exceptions made to the standard. The universe wont implode if we call Pluto a planet.

40. Zumino Zufeilon

Zumino Zufeilon Gawd

So, you're cool with the Moon being a planet then?

By both Mass and Volume the Moon is a good deal larger than Pluto. The Moon does not "exactly" orbit the Earth, rather they both orbit a point that is just inside the Earth (meaning the pair orbit a Point that is not actually near the center of the earth)

That was one of the discussions that lead to "dwarf planet" category, as a way to encapsulate all the "grey-ness" in a single bucket.

Tags: