Plugging headphones into speakers

Napalm Frog

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 21, 2002
Messages
81
This may seem like a silly question, but I didn't think of it until today.

Would there be any noticeable loss in quality if I would plug my headphones (ATH-AD700) into the jack in my speakers (Logitech X-530). I only ask because my PC is a pain in the arse to get to, and I'm pretty sure that if I run my own tests I'm guaranteed to deal with some sort of placebo effect.

If it matters, the volume knob on this set of speakers is useless when the headphones are plugged in, so I would assume that the connection is direct...
 
Well, there's probably a slight loss in quality, but I doubt you'd really notice it. Might as well try it for yourself and compare :p
 
Would there be any noticeable loss in quality if I would plug my headphones (ATH-AD700) into the jack in my speakers (Logitech X-530).

Every time I've tried this, I ended up with a ridiculous increase in the noise floor. Crappy computer speakers also tend to use cheap high-gauge wire and thus distort the signal more than they should. This from someone that stripped a pair of 18-gauge extension cords and used those for speaker cables - so I'm not saying this just because I have a case of fanboyism for Mon$ter or teflon-coated solid silver custom braided cables.

But if it sounds good, it sounds good - who knows, maybe the Logitech X-530s actually didn't cut corners and put effort into making sure the passthrough jack worked properly and used a decent gauge of cable. *cough* :rolleyes:

Seriously though, just try it and find out for sure. :D
 
i think its time 2 tear the house up an get 2 that pc after buyin a sound card.........hint
 
When i plug my HD201 Sennheisers into the cheap X140 Logitechs i get more bass. With the headphones directly in the X-Fi there isnt so much bass but with the headphones throught the speakers i get more. Placebo or what?
Oh and i can control the volume with the speakers, this i couldnt with the Z640(5.1 Logitechs).
 
When i plug my HD201 Sennheisers into the cheap X140 Logitechs i get more bass.

At first thought, it's probably acting as a low-pass filter. So what you're seeing is not "more bass" so much as that it's attenuating the higher frequencies and you're setting a higher volume level to compensate. If so, you could get the same result with a better SQ by not running it through the X140s and using some decent equalization.

It's also possible that the power circuit for the speakers is acting as an amplifier. This tends to be supported by the volume knob working, so it's not a true passthrough.
 
Yeah it isnt a low-pass filter. Should i be happy about the amplifier or reluctant to use it?
 
Well, you're running it through a device that may or may not be accidentally acting as a really low-quality amplifier. You'd be better off slapping one of these on the line, really. There are better options, more so since you have no need for battery power, but this one has the benefit of being under $10.

It's probably some sort of filter, even if the amplification is what's occurring. Everything is to some degree, it's just a matter of "how much." Noise and attenuation are going to happen any time you increase the length of your audio train, all we can do is try and select good parts and reduce unnecessary connections when possible.
 
If I wanted to operate both by speakers and headphones, and retain as much sound quality as I can, what would I do considering I just have the one output on my X-Fi? I know there are the jack splitters, but I have always been told to stay away from those. And My case is in such an awkward position that I can't just keep reaching around to swap plugs all of the time.
 
Well, for starters - are you noticing any increase in noise or difference between the sound if you plug the headphones into the back of the computer or into the speakers? If there's nothing you can hear, then it doesn't matter.
 
If I wanted to operate both by speakers and headphones, and retain as much sound quality as I can, what would I do considering I just have the one output on my X-Fi? I know there are the jack splitters, but I have always been told to stay away from those. And My case is in such an awkward position that I can't just keep reaching around to swap plugs all of the time.

I'd use a jack splitter. The quality loss should be minimal compared to running headphones via the potentially noisy path through the speakers.
 
I'd use a jack splitter. The quality loss should be minimal compared to running headphones via the potentially noisy path through the speakers.

Could try this too, although it's problematic in that it leaves the headphones powered while the speakers are running, creating a higher load and potentially causing underamplification issues (I assume you would turn the speakers off when using the headphones). Also, there's the risk of a ground loop or similar lolage going on. Mostly the former, though.

There are also switching devices similar to KVMs. And break-out boxes to stick on the front of your case to let you connect the phones there.
 
Could try this too, although it's problematic in that it leaves the headphones powered while the speakers are running, creating a higher load and potentially causing underamplification issues (I assume you would turn the speakers off when using the headphones). Also, there's the risk of a ground loop or similar lolage going on. Mostly the former, though.

There are also switching devices similar to KVMs. And break-out boxes to stick on the front of your case to let you connect the phones there.

Well, you can use a jack splitter with a headphone cord extender, to place the headphone jack somewhere on the desk. Plug in headphones when needed, unplug when not :)

One thing about routing headphone cables through the pc to a breakout box on the front is potential interference by the myriad of electrical components in the case. I get horrible interference from the PSU (and other things, I'm sure) through the headphone jack on my case, though the cables probably aren't shielded at all....
 
Well, you can use a jack splitter with a headphone cord extender, to place the headphone jack somewhere on the desk. Plug in headphones when needed, unplug when not :)

That could do it. With all those connectors, though, you do have to be careful that the result isn't worse than just using the passthrough jack.
 
I always recommend simple extenders. Buy or make a reasonable-quality 3.5mm stereo male to female cable of adequate length to reach the top of your desk. Relocate your headphone's connector and your speakers' connector(s) to the top of your desk, so you can plug either into the extender. Switch connections as needed.

"Reasonable-quality" just means something that's well-shielded, not something that's going to set you back $30.
 
Can you afford a receiver? Plugging that into your pc and then the receiver digital output into the z-530s and having a decent amp in the receiver for the a-700s would kick ass. Craigslist is your friend, $30-70 for a reciever is easy. Even if new $150 goes a long way with receivers now. Don't half-ass it if you can do it right.
 
Back
Top