pls help diagnose XP bootup problem [w/ VIDEO]

indokyne

2[H]4U
i'm having trouble with XP failing to initiate. I see the blue knight rider bar thing loading up and then a blue screen flash

where do i begin??

video of the issue

It looks like what happens when it loads a bad driver on boot up. Have you ran windows update or updated drivers recently?

Secondly, try to boot into safe mode by pressing F8 on system start up, or that menu you had. The OS should still boot into safe mode even with a bad driver. Uninstall anything new that you installed recently OR use system restore and roll back to the day before the issue happened.

thx for the suggestion... will do and report back

and yes - i did recently do a Windows Update (express)

crap.

safe mode doesn't work. i see the scrolling of files being loaded... then it stalls... then kaput. shutdown.

i guess i have to repair XP now?? what's the recommended steps? *sigh*

thx windows update

FYI, I've had issues like this before with XP. Shut it down and leave it down for 20 minutes, then try to boot it up again. It sounds crazy but sometimes it works.

From the F8 menu, try selecting, "last known good configuration". This should change the config back to a known working config (last time windows was able to boot successfully). If not, like others said, a repair install would be a good idea.

What of the fan error at the very beginning? Is your cpu fan spinning? Or are you water cooling?

wow. so I just finished the repair and when it restarted, the prompt came up asking if I want to start windows in safe mode, normal etc. all selections result in the same problem.
it's like the repair didn't take...???

and yes, watercooled so no cpu fan

Just to let you know that error in the beginning is telling you that your cpu fan has failed and your computer is failing to boot up likely because its overheating. Is your system o/ced?

Just to let you know that error in the beginning is telling you that your cpu fan has failed and your computer is failing to boot up likely because its overheating. Is your system o/ced?

He is actually using a watercooling system so there is no fan to power for the system. Hence the error.

I have seen something like this before just have to remember what it was........

Repair did not work so currently going through the CHKDSK process via the Recovery Console.

been about 3 hours and only ~70% done

CHKDSK didn't do squat

after figuring out how to keep windows from rebooting on bsod, i found out it was an ntdll.dll issue.

after some searching, saw that it was a pretty common error. I read about a few of their fixes including addressing IDE cables, changing SATA HDD to UDMA 5 as opposed to 6...

at the end of the day, i re-tried a repair install and it seems to b e working...

He is actually using a watercooling system so there is no fan to power for the system. Hence the error.

I have seen something like this before just have to remember what it was........

I remember reading that some (maybe all) Asus motherboards will post that error because the fan is running below 800rpm at startup I believe.

so. I did the repair install which got her up and running but it came with some other issues.
I'd say over half my apps from browser to games etc crash upon trying to start them up.

then I get some error message about the app not being a value windows dll or something like that.

sigh. I guess nows as good a time as any to start looking at a new start with vista

so. I did the repair install which got her up and running but it came with some other issues.
I'd say over half my apps from browser to games etc crash upon trying to start them up.

then I get some error message about the app not being a value windows dll or something like that.

sigh. I guess nows as good a time as any to start looking at a new start with vista
Just back up your files then reinstall XP. You don't need applications to launch to back up files, and you don't have to buy a new OS.

Also, did you try system restore? I didn't see a post on that but might have overlooked it. (this is a good example of why system restore is good).

Also, try typing this in a command prompt ..

sfc /scannow

fortunately I never keep important files on the same hdd as my OS. files are all in a seperate My Docs drive and then backed up externally.

I'm just whining about reinstalling xp. definitely considering vista tho.

fortunately I never keep important files on the same hdd as my OS. files are all in a seperate My Docs drive and then backed up externally.

I'm just whining about reinstalling xp. definitely considering vista tho.
Well you're really lucky! Good move on that. What are your system specs? Vista can be picky and it's hit or miss with how people like it. Fortunately I've had amazing results with it and love the OS but I can't say I 100% recommend it.

Well you're really lucky! Good move on that. What are your system specs? Vista can be picky and it's hit or miss with how people like it. Fortunately I've had amazing results with it and love the OS but I can't say I 100% recommend it.
i'm still using DDR1 (2GB) and a dual core opteron 175 running at 2.8GHz
i'm thinking that i may not be able to enjoy vista at its fullest
Sounds like a faulty hard drive to me.
y'know - i kinda was thinking the same thing at one point...

what's a good way to test to see if the HDD is working properly?

You can download the diagnostic utilities available on the hard drive manufacturer's website and run them. They made the drive, they prolly know it best. Or at least they know what the smart values are actually in spec for a particular drive.

Back