• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PLP 20-30-20 Advice

S0L0

n00b
Joined
Oct 11, 2012
Messages
44
So I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a U3011 (which has just being replaced by the U3014) and later down the road I would like to add two 2007FP on either side however it looks like dell is starting to phase out the 20" ultrasharps which might not be available by the time I can afford them.

Anyway I am now reconsidering the whole idea of going with a PLP setup, are there any web or graphic designers here that are using a PLP setup that think its worth it? I work with the adobe & autodesk design suites alot for web and graphics and can think of how it might be useful but I'm not so sure it would be that much more productive than a single 27" 1440p.

And I currently have a GTX 670 4GB so I am pretty confident that my rig could handle the high resolution.
 
Also interested in this! As well as the gaming aspect, imagine that the games really aren't supporting PLP at the moment... or is that wrong?
 
I guess it depends on whether the game supports eyefinity or nvidia surround? Though I would probably just use the 30" for gaming while using the other 2 monitors for other apps while playing since I don't think I could ever get used to the bezels while playing, atleast for an fps anyway.
 
however it looks like dell is starting to phase out the 20" ultrasharps which might not be available by the time I can afford them.
I would not worry much about his as I am sure that you would be able to find this model on eBay.

And I currently have a GTX 670 4GB so I am pretty confident that my rig could handle the high resolution
Since PLP is not supported by either Eyefinity and Surround, I guess that you are referring to the resolution of the 30" monitor.
Unfortunately, only a handful of games support custom resolution (BF3, Fear 3) such as 4960x1600.
From my experience, 2GB is no longer enough at 2560x1600 and I highly recommended graphic cards having 3GB of memory at a minimum.
If I was you, I would also consider SLI-ing your 670.

PLP is incredible for work. I am sure pretty that you will like it very much.
 
I am now considering the LG 29EA93 or the LG 27EA83, both come with LGs split screen software (supports both windows and osx) which would definitely be good for multi-tasking, especially the 29" because the extra width. However there is a very good split screen app for windows and mac called divy which I could use with pretty much any 27 or 29 inch monitor. Though I am definitely leaning towards a 29" right now for multitasking with web and design apps, anyone own one of these and or a 27 or 30"?


EDIT: The display area of the 29" 21:9 U2913WM is 26.49" wide vs 25.25" for the 30" U3014 so I am still on the fence about which is better for multi-tasking, the extra inch of horizontal or the extra 4 inches of vertical?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top