plot thickens :) DELL 3440x1440 ultra wide 34" 21:9 screen

I really hope this monitor comes in around or below $1000, but I have a feeling it may be closer to $1500+

I really hope this monitor comes in around or below $1000, but I have a feeling it may be closer to $1500+

I hope so too...the U2913WM runs $500 or less nowadays...but I remember it was more when it first launched....I hope the 34 inch version starts off around $800 and drops to $700 or less during sales.

Ideally I should be looking at 4k 32 inch...since I'm coming from a 30 inch 1600p monitor...my natural progression should be the 32 inch 4k one...but they cost so damn much right now....so I'm thinking of getting this 3440x1440 and using it for temporary until the real 4k monitors get cheaper, and offer more selection.

I hope so too...the U2913WM runs $500 or less nowadays...but I remember it was more when it first launched....I hope the 34 inch version starts off around $800 and drops to $700 or less during sales.

Ideally I should be looking at 4k 32 inch...since I'm coming from a 30 inch 1600p monitor...my natural progression should be the 32 inch 4k one...but they cost so damn much right now....so I'm thinking of getting this 3440x1440 and using it for temporary until the real 4k monitors get cheaper, and offer more selection.

It will probably be around 1k, and besides... It's a 2015 model. So I wouldn't expect it till late next year.

It will probably be around 1k, and besides... It's a 2015 model. So I wouldn't expect it till late next year.

Dell U2711 launched in Jan 2010...and their most recent U3014 launched i think early 2013 as well....Dell is finicky with their naming...but then again, car manufactures are the same as well....I remember the 07 Toyota Camry came out Feb-March 06

So looks like the general sentiment is that this may or may not work for games, but am very excited for movies!

So looks like the general sentiment is that this may or may not work for games, but am very excited for movies!

How will it not work for games? You could still play games on the Dell 29, since that amount of input lag will only really affect twitch gameplay.

Lot of games don't support 21:9 at all.

Could you name some? I know right off the bat, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Inf, and Crysis 3 support it. Assassin's Creed 3 doesn't because its a terrible console port to begin with.

Dark Souls is another one. Yes, the unsupported games tend to be 'horrible console ports'. Unfortunately, there are a lot of games worth playing that are bad console ports. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't buy one of these monitors because of this, just noting that it is an issue since the previous poster was wondering why it wouldn't work for games.

Skyrim is a piece of crap, so I don't think it counts, and Dark Souls was made in 16:9 anyhow... Everyone agrees that the PC edition was absolutely shoddy.

Personal opinions on what games are worth playing or not don't really have anything to do with the technical facts about support for the aspect ratio, which isn't universal. That's all there is to it. You can point to all these games and say 'oh this game is bad, that one you should play on xbox anyway', etc. But that's missing the point ENTIRELY...

It's equivalent to me saying "this monitor is total garbage and no self-respecting gamer would want it because it's 60hz and it doesnt have a strobing backlight".

Would love one of these to dock my laptop (this panal can easily handle 3, even 4 windows - great for code!), but looks as though the 630m can only drive up to 1600x2560 :-(

Personal opinions on what games are worth playing or not don't really have anything to do with the technical facts about support for the aspect ratio, which isn't universal. That's all there is to it. You can point to all these games and say 'oh this game is bad, that one you should play on xbox anyway', etc. But that's missing the point ENTIRELY...

It's equivalent to me saying "this monitor is total garbage and no self-respecting gamer would want it because it's 60hz and it doesnt have a strobing backlight".

It's not a personal opinion, it's the fact of how much effort went it to making the game. If you can't understand that, to properly support this aspect ratio, developers need to actually add the right functionality, then I feel sorry for you. Developers have been getting lazier and lazier,and Skyrim was lazy just like the PC port of Dark Souls. It's totally pointless to use them as excuses.

It's not a personal opinion, it's the fact of how much effort went it to making the game. If you can't understand that, to properly support this aspect ratio, developers need to actually add the right functionality, then I feel sorry for you. Developers have been getting lazier and lazier,and Skyrim was lazy just like the PC port of Dark Souls. It's totally pointless to use them as excuses.

Thanks for your worship.

I want this monitor with G-Sync, if only! I am really considering though waiting to see if IPS panels come out with G-Sync next year. Its such a huge improvement for gamers that it may be worth the wait.

I totally don't get this. As I recall, games as far back as Quake (and maybe further) allowed for custom field of view settings. Why isn't this standard?

I would imagine the older the game the less chance of it working at the native resolution. However there are fixes for various games in the wide screen sector so if it doesn't work there may be a fix for it. I think its WSGF that has a list of games and fixes.

As long as it plays my classics like battlefield bad company 2 and assasins creed stuff I'm in.

Battlefield titles should be no problem....I've seen a clip of 21:9 and BF3 playing, without any black bars....so you should be good for future BF titles, since DICE actually puts "some" effort into their PC editions.

With AC series though....you might be out of luck....unless Ubisoft magically changes for AC5 and supports 21:9 monitors.

But it appears most games will be just fine....Batman/Crysis/Borderlands is just fine too.

Battlefield titles should be no problem....I've seen a clip of 21:9 and BF3 playing, without any black bars....so you should be good for future BF titles, since DICE actually puts "some" effort into their PC editions.

With AC series though....you might be out of luck....unless Ubisoft magically changes for AC5 and supports 21:9 monitors.

But it appears most games will be just fine....Batman/Crysis/Borderlands is just fine too.

Thank you!

no new information, as far as i can tell. both DELL and LG have been awfully quiet about these screens.

Probably quite nice as the smaller version has got good reviews?
I guess this is the cheapest option so far for >1440p IPS.

Whoa my mind is blown. I've been waiting patiently for something like this to come along since I first saw the 29 inch versions pop up. I currently use three 27 inch screens for surround gaming. It's very cool at times, but I wonder if it's worth it for the amount of space that these monitors use. I'd probably convert for the right 21:9 monitor. Also my pc is my main way to watch blu-ray's. This looks perfect for watching 21:9 blu-rays on.

I'm seriously contemplating getting 3x34" and putting 4x27" above them as an upgrade to my current setup. I may have to invest in a bigger desk as such a beast would be 94" wide (excluding bezels), which is 18" wider than what I have now. I did the math, the height of the two monitors before bezels is 26.5" which is almost exactly what I have now. The horizontal offset is going to be tough, we are talking 8 inches for the wing monitors so I might have to modify the mounting brackets (luckily I use DS100's on the wings, they are very strong so I can get some kind of offset plate machined and bolted on as an adapter).

I've been Googling around, can't find anything resembling prices and availability - are there any updates on this?

Last edited:
I'm seriously contemplating getting 3x34" and putting 4x27" above them as an upgrade to my current setup. I may have to invest in a bigger desk as such a beast would be 94" wide (excluding bezels), which is 18" wider than what I have now. I did the math, the height of the two monitors before bezels is 26.5" which is almost exactly what I have now. The horizontal offset is going to be tough, we are talking 8 inches for the wing monitors so I might have to modify the mounting brackets (luckily I use DS100's on the wings, they are very strong so I can get some kind of offset plate machined and bolted on as an adapter).

I've been Googling around, can't find anything resembling prices and availability - are there any updates on this?

What would you do with all those monitors? I'm guessing something other than just gaming. My curiosity is piqued. :D

What would you do with all those monitors? I'm guessing something other than just gaming. My curiosity is piqued. :D

I multitask a lot :D

It's particularly good when QCing web pages on multiple browsers. I can run eyeball comparisons and make changes on the fly without minimizing. It is also great when checking multiple VMs on my ESXi host, I don't have to keep flipping console windows.

I already run 7 monitors (3x30" + 4x22"), this is the first combination I found that is an improvement on what I have without completely unbalancing the upper and lower rows. Even so I would have to wait until a video card with 6 outputs capable of 1440p or higher comes out to hook up the monitors.

Very hard to find info or updates on this monitor and the LG version.

I want to add a larger, higher resolution panel above my (3) VG248QE array - I'm torn between the ASUS 1440p 144hz/Gsync screen and going with an ultra wide IPS like this one.

Some games just don't like NV Surround and just using the single 1080p 24" center screen feels claustrophobic.

Very hard to find info or updates on this monitor and the LG version.

I want to add a larger, higher resolution panel above my (3) VG248QE array - I'm torn between the ASUS 1440p 144hz/Gsync screen and going with an ultra wide IPS like this one.

Some games just don't like NV Surround and just using the single 1080p 24" center screen feels claustrophobic.

I'm real interested in this monitor myself....I'm currently using a 30 inch 1600p monitor...ideally my upgrade path should be a 4k monitor of 28 inch or 32 inch size....problem is, the 28 inch one is 30hz from Dell...and the 32 inch one is still too expensive (although it did drop about $1000 since launch).

I just hope they don't overprice this one crazy....it is IPS, so it's gonna carry a premium....but yeah, we'll see

It's available for pre order on several Korean sites lg one that is and priced at 1,300,000 won which I believe to be around 1220 usd

Last edited:
Back