• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Plextor or Lightscribe?

Avenrosh

n00b
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
10
I'm in the middle of purchasing a new computer, and was interesting in getting the Plextor PX-716SA for all the extra features it has in it. However, I'm also really interested in getting a Lightscribe DVD burner. Are any of the Lightscribe drives comparable to the PX-716SA?
 
I honestly don't think there is much difference between the various drives, other than the features they support. If you really want Lightscribe, go for it. I have had HP, Yamaha, Plextor, Sony, LITE-ON, NEC, and Pioneer (current) cd and/or dvd burners in the past, and I can tell you that every one of them worked fine, and with little or no problems. They were all replaced for an upgraded/faster model.

If you are looking for SATA support, I think plextor is your only option.
 
HaMMerHeD said:
I honestly don't think there is much difference between the various drives, other than the features they support. If you really want Lightscribe, go for it. I have had HP, Yamaha, Plextor, Sony, LITE-ON, NEC, and Pioneer (current) cd and/or dvd burners in the past, and I can tell you that every one of them worked fine, and with little or no problems. They were all replaced for an upgraded/faster model.

If you are looking for SATA support, I think plextor is your only option.

that's exactly how I feel about optical drives..
 
II purchase a Lightscribe DVD burner last month just so I could play with it. IMHO, Lightscribe is poo poo. No wonder why it hasn't caught on. The discs take FOREVER!!! to burn and come out looking like ass. The pictures you see at http://www.lightscribe.com are NOTHING like the actual output. You can double burn images to improve contrast but who wants to wait 1+ hour(s) for a brown/dark brown image on their DVD? It’s totally not worth the extra time or investment for discs. Buy some Neto labels and quality DVD burner; you'll be much happier!

Also, unless you specifically need SATA for some reason, I would recommend purchasing a NEC 3550A. I've had nothing but good luck with all 20+ of mine :)
 
Back
Top