Plex

I am using it also. Still kind of fine tuning the software out. I want it streaming from my Synology NAS box, but it seems their isnt a app for that. But I can stream from PC, and still get the video files from my NAS Box, but I would have to leave PC on. So, still looking for other alternatives for a nice interface, or I might just get a better NAS Box. I have a synology NAS. But it seems the PLex app is only for the newer one. I have a DS-409. Its a 4 bay, NAS.

I have been using Mediabrowser. However, I like the fact that Plex will let me watch a lot of my podcasts easier. I have a DS11J, so it might work. If not I don't mind using my server, it's online 24x7 anyways.

Now, I assume that it has no ability to play Blu Rays? Also, does it support MKV or is it going to transcode?

We use Plex at home. We have it configured on the Apple TV and all of the iPad's and iPhones - with MyPlex working great we (or the kids) can watch all of our content wherever we are.

I have been using Mediabrowser. However, I like the fact that Plex will let me watch a lot of my podcasts easier. I have a DS11J, so it might work. If not I don't mind using my server, it's online 24x7 anyways.

Now, I assume that it has no ability to play Blu Rays? Also, does it support MKV or is it going to transcode?

No idea on the BluRay, but it does indeed play MKV's without transcoding, afaik. I have the server setup remotely, and it plays anything I can throw at it.

I run Plex on my server. Awesome having access to all of our movies, tv shows, and music anywhere.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'm going to set it up on my laptop and see how it goes. Even if it doesn't play BDs I still have a player for that. It would jut be nice to do it all from one interface.

Plex is our main source on all TVs in the house (no cable tv). Hacked ATV2, Roku, ipad, iphone, HTPC all stream in our house.

Is their a tutorial that can help me set it up. I find it kind of fustrating accessing it outside of local network. I would appreciate help if possible. Thanks!

I just wanted to chime in here as I recently got Plex setup. I have Plex running on a 2008 Server with 7x2TB drives in a Drive Bender pool. I just finished running CAT5 to the closet with the server and living room where my TV is. Now I have gigabit throughout the house. Plex plays BD rips flawlessly. I have a very large BD/HDDVD collection that I'm ripping. I'm not even bothering to compress them. I have enough storage space for roughly 500 uncompressed movies. I'm using MakeMKV to rip the main title and transferring that to the server. Everything really just works.

I've used PlayOn and Playstation Media Server but neither of them work as well as Plex. Plus Plex has a pretty sweet client too. Loving this setup.

Looking into Plex for use with HTPC that im in the works of putting together, for those using it though is it possible to run the server piece and the client piece on the same machine. Was curious cause i would ideally like to have the HTPC host all the content as well

Looking into Plex for use with HTPC that im in the works of putting together, for those using it though is it possible to run the server piece and the client piece on the same machine. Was curious cause i would ideally like to have the HTPC host all the content as well

Wondering the same

I run the Plex server on my unraid server with clients on my Apple TV in the living room, Ipads, iPhones and my windows PC's. All running just great. :D

Been running Plex for about 4 years now. I was recently able to retire my Mac Mini HTPC because of the release of the Plex app for Samsung SmartHub. It's awesome having Plex built right into my TV.

I am having issues with Plex on the two Roku 2 XS players I own. It won't play my Blu-ray rips without constant "loading" screens. My network is completely wired.

If the client is a PC, everything is fine. Hopefully I can get this working soon.

I am having issues with Plex on the two Roku 2 XS players I own. It won't play my Blu-ray rips without constant "loading" screens. My network is completely wired.

If the client is a PC, everything is fine. Hopefully I can get this working soon.

Weird, I have a Roku XDS and it plays my BD rips flawlessly. It's actually very impressive.

I wonder if my Roku 2 XS devices have problems with the audio track I am selecting. I've been choosing just the highest bitrate audio such as DTS-HD Master Audio and unselecting the other audio tracks.

I wonder if my Roku 2 XS devices have problems with the audio track I am selecting. I've been choosing just the highest bitrate audio such as DTS-HD Master Audio and unselecting the other audio tracks.

What software do you use? I use MakeMKV and just select the main title. I don't change anything else.

I use MakeMKV also. I select the main title but then I go in further and select the higher bitrate audio.

What software do you use? I use MakeMKV and just select the main title. I don't change anything else.

I believe the Roku can passthru the audio, so as long as your AVR can handle it, it should play.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if it choked on the HD audio formats.

Something I forgot to ask was how Plex handles metadata. I currently use Metabrowser which saves the metadata in an XML file. Will that work in Plex? I would prefer to keep using it to collect metadata.

Back