Plex TV Hacked

HardOCP News

[H] News
Plex sent out an e-mail today warning users that its forum servers have been hacked. According to this article, the hacker is demanding ransom or he will release the user data to the public. :(

Supposedly the only thing stolen were forum user/passwords and emails. The passwords are hashed and salted while any billing information is stored elsewhere.

Supposedly the only thing stolen were forum user/passwords and emails. The passwords are hashed and salted while any billing information is stored elsewhere.
Unfortunately users have a habit of using the same password across all the accounts they have on the internet, including sensitive personal accounts such as banks and billed services.

Unfortunately users have a habit of using the same password across all the accounts they have on the internet, including sensitive personal accounts such as banks and billed services.

The only thing I cross use are forum passwords, even then I tend to go by different usernames. But yeah, it's definitely the smart thing to keep bank accounts and email passwords seperate. I have 2-step enabled on both as well so you would need my phone to access.

That was really bad timing for me. I was actually on the forum and was about to get a link to download a program to try and get my media center streaming through my Roku. I left the page for a moment to grab something else and when I went back saw that lovely hacked message.

I'm not worried. If the credit card data was stored somewhere else, which is common practice for liability reasons, the only information they could have is name, address, age, etc. It's not like Plex has super secret information about us. Hell, if I search my own name on Google, I can find most of that information because I bought a house in the last decade (which is public record). The hackers have nothing, or very little, of value. If they did, they would have started using the information to steal and profit. Instead, they are bluffing for a ransom from Plex because that's the only way for them to receive monetary gain from their actions.

Use passwords elsewhere.
Use plex exploits, if there are any, to infect servers.

If people are using the same password for their Plex account as they are for other "important" accounts, then they need to have better security practices and go change their passwords. Why people use the same passwords for everything is beyond me...

As for trying to find a server exploit, unless they managed to download the source code for the Plex server applet, good luck. Most people are on a dynamic DNS. Their IP addresses will be different in 48 hours than when the hack occured. Now that the hackers are locked out of the system, it would be nearly impossible for them to link the two. And once people change their passwords on the server, which is mandatory for Plex to continue functioning, it will be damn near impossible.

The hackers were there looking for credit card information. They found none, so they are now trying to exploit money from Plex.

Aren't the plex account and plex forums different logins? Shitty that this happened, but they're not going to get anything of much value.

Aren't the plex account and plex forums different logins? Shitty that this happened, but they're not going to get anything of much value.

They moved to a single sign on system. But there is a setting that will let you separate the two for better security.

I changed mine and had some trouble getting web streaming working again. I ended up having to sign out of my server, to to the website and remove my server from the devices, then sign on at the server again. Good to go.

Thanks Plex, no worries from me really.

Back