Plex server and Mu-mimo wireless adapter

Toepunch

Limp Gawd
Anyone running a mu-mimo wireless adapter have the router and looking at the adapter ASUS 4x4 802.11AC Wireless-AC3100 PCIe Adapter (PCE-AC88). Anyone using these wireless adapters. Thinking of instead using cat6 gigabit since i have a few rolls but wife is against me cutting into the walls.

Until 802.11ad or ax is available, yep, stay wired. There's also other options such as MoCA 2 (coax based). I'd stay away from Power Line unless you have clean runs in your house.

I've been wireless on my plex server for the past year without many issues. Other than USB drivers being flaky, the speed is good enough to stream 1080p to one client. Not sure about simultaneous since I'm the only one using it. As long as you're getting 100+ Mbps, you should be okay. I was using the TP-Link Archer T4U adapter until I changed an Asus RT-AC68U into a media bridge.

As others have stated, use wired if you want the best experience. Also, walls are generally very easy to repair :)

Outside of seeking issues on the video, 1080p requires like 3-4MB/s constant (and that's 20mb/s video which is high) and like 10MB/s for initial buffer. Any modern wireless should be able to handle this. Again, seeking is probably the only place I could see an advantage going to wired just because of the increased chatter back in forth instead of just streaming.

Everyone thinks video requires some outrageous amount of bandwidth.....it really doesn't.

Think about it. A 20GB file. 20,000MB divided by 120 minutes (7,200 seconds) = 2.7MB per second. When I rip on constant quality, I see 1080p movies closer to 6-8GB....that barely hits 1MB/s.

ALSO: Be VERY careful to watch your megabytes(MB) and megabits(mb/Mb). Can be confusing if you do not have perspective.

Last edited:
Issues with wireless streaming generally aren't a bandwidth issue. Plex also recommends a wired connection for the best results, as would any decent tech.

Back