Plex Adding Live TV to Plex Pass

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In an announcement today, Plex is adding live TV to their popular service. The new live TV option is built right in to the Media Server. Plex is only offering channels you can get OTA, which is broadcast stations like NBC, ABC, FOX etc.

Looking at the new Plex Features page gives us a little more info. A digital tuner and a digital antenna will be required, but aside from the HDHomeRun, they are now supporting devices from other manufacturers. Cutting the cord is beginning to get more and more attractive.

Just think... you can now use Plex to follow along with your favorite sportsball team in real time! Or better yet, tune in to today's episode of "The Price is Right" right this second! No more waiting until the recording is done, which means no more Showcase Showdown spoilers! Come on down!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the next thing we need is a network so we can share live channels, like Detroit Lions football games, so I can watch them while living in South Dakota.... I have an HDHR but no teams around here unless you like the Vikings... that is all I can offer...lol

So the next thing we need is a network so we can share live channels, like Detroit Lions football games, so I can watch them while living in South Dakota.... I have an HDHR but no teams around here unless you like the Vikings... that is all I can offer...lol

Fellow Detroit Lions masochist here! There are dozens of us!

Its weird, we in the NFC north here where I live, however, when Vikes or Pack are playing, they get TV time. If neither of those two are playing for some reason, they show Chiefs or Broncos instead, rather than Lions. Only get to see Lions here on turkey day and prime time games.../sigh

Hey, Plex DVR is finally here! Time for me to buy a digital tuner or HDHR or something.

Is the time approaching when I can tell Frontier to go screw themselves (at least the cable TV part)? Intriguing.

edit - oh it requires Plex pass. Well that's $150 I hadn't counted on.

Last edited:
Hey, Plex DVR is finally here! Time for me to buy a digital tuner or HDHR or something.

Is the time approaching when I can tell Frontier to go screw themselves (at least the cable TV part)? Intriguing.

I've been wondering the same (on Frontier as well) but dropping the TV would save me like... $30 a month ish I think, then add the hardware, Plex Pass, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and having to deal with the keeping everything configured, I don't think it's quite there yet, at least not for me

Fuck Plex, they lost sight of mission a long time ago.So goddamn tired of going to use plex and it tells me the server reqires an update.

Looks like Plex is running a "sale" for $119. Seems like it's been that price before, but still cheaper than $149. Thinking about doing it for this new DVR action, wish I could test it first. Right now free Plex does everything I want, I don't give a crap about streaming to mobile devices over the internet tubes.

I am not really bothered by the updates that Plex rolls out. They really aren't that frequent. What I am annoyed about is the fact they broke the resume functionality on the Chromecast a few months ago and still have not implemented a fix. They don't seem to be on top of their bugs very well and I know they are aware because I have been in communication with one of their devs for a while now. That took me messaging their billing support to tell them either have somebody address my forum post since you state that you don't accept support messages or refund my money. That got them to put a dev on it, but still no solution. I am beyond frustrated with them right now, but unfortunately the only alternative (Emby) isn't any better.

Looks like Plex is running a "sale" for $119. Seems like it's been that price before, but still cheaper than $149. Thinking about doing it for this new DVR action, wish I could test it first. Right now free Plex does everything I want, I don't give a crap about streaming to mobile devices over the internet tubes.

The DVR function also piqued my interest. Performance is likely predicated on the strength of one's NAS and router, as is always the case with Plex.

I am not really bothered by the updates that Plex rolls out. They really aren't that frequent. What I am annoyed about is the fact they broke the resume functionality on the Chromecast a few months ago and still have not implemented a fix. They don't seem to be on top of their bugs very well and I know they are aware because I have been in communication with one of their devs for a while now. That took me messaging their billing support to tell them either have somebody address my forum post since you state that you don't accept support messages or refund my money. That got them to put a dev on it, but still no solution. I am beyond frustrated with them right now, but unfortunately the only alternative (Emby) isn't any better.

Don't ever use their FireTV app then. JFC that thing sucks. Want to use Plex? That's a reboot. Every. Damn. Day.

AFTV1 or 2? My day 1 AFTV1 works like a champ with Plex. I still prefer it over my Roku 3's interface and performance.

Really? I found Plex to be unbearably slow on my G1 AFTV. Roku Premier is 50x faster. PS4 was good too but my poor wife can't deal with the DS4.

My fireTV gen 1 and gen 2 work fine, along with the two fire sticks, several chromecasts inside my own house. I also have about 30 users, of which generally have 4 to 8 using the thing during prime time weekday evenings. Weekends are more sporadic. I have not had any issues that you guys are speaking about. About the worst problem is one of my friends who is an Apple person, had to upgrade his airport that was like 12 years old or something, and when he did all of his problems went away. Other than that, re-encoding/replacing movies/shows with HEVC stuffs eats up my Sandy, so I'm ready to jump on one of the new 10 to 12 core i9 that are about to come out.

They still do not support any tuner with CI slot (CA module support), which makes the whole feature irrelevant in many countries/operators.
For example at my location - UPC via DVB-C requires CA module to see any channels on their cable network; there are some few FTA DVB-T channels, but the rest (better ones) require CA module; hungarian DVB-T or DVB-S again has only few basic channels available via FTA, rest again requires CA module.

HDHomeRun - no CI. Hauppage tuners - little USB sticks with no CI. TVButler - same.

I've got to say, as a Plex Pass lifetimer for several years now, this has been the best money I've ever spent on software...Well, VideoRedo is maybe a tie. Both programs almost always do exactly what I want - and just *work*. My house runs AppleTVs and FireSticks ALL THE TIME (hundreds of hours per month) and nary a hiccup. Plex DVR is a huge improvement for me over Windows Media Center, which was my previous gold standard. Combine the quality of the software with the fact I can run it all transparently on my NAS box hidden in the basement, and I'd be hard pressed to find fault with any of it. Problems only crop up when I start poking around in server settings that I shouldn't.

Just my $.02.

^^ Had my life for about 2 years now I think, love it, got about a 5 TB collection so far and still ripping and encoding more shit for it, may need to move my 6C / 12 Thread board over to be the server if I start doing a lot of live TV, not sure if my xeon will hold up to multiple people

I can only host like 2 remote streams at a time here based on my upload, really wish spectrum wouldnt have canceled the TWC Maxx upgrade and then I could be my own HD netflix lol

Back