Please translate

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
As usual I was surfing several major newspapers (ie NYT, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, etc) primarily for political content concerning the presidential contest, but I came across the article listed below. I'm not sure I understand what it means and I may be overreacting. Does this mean that AMD will no longer manufacture CPU's, like Intel, and "farm " the production onto someone else? What about the ATI GPU thing? :confused:

Thanks for any constructive information. I'd hate to see no competition in the home PC market. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/technology/business-computing/08chip.html

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

They have joint ownership in a FAB company that will manufacture everything. AMD/ATI will be a research and marketing company.

No change for consumers.

the middle east is taking over the world..... thats how i took it

To translate in layman's terms, it's like if a guy is trying to cook, do a laundry and clean up the house at the same time. To help improve efficiency, he get rid of laundry and clean up tasks to concentrate on cooking (his best specialty). The middle east is taking those chores and charge the guy in exchange ;)

Wow, thanks for the translation Xilikon. It puts my mind at ease, with the prices of AMD chips lately they're mighty tempting for us "el cheapo" orientated. :D

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

As long as we keep making stuff from nothing and then selling it to the rest of the world, thats not a bad deal.

Heh, I'll show great restraint here, but this will end up in soapbox:rolleyes:;):D

Holy crappo :eek:
Let me try to explain. I didn't start this thread as some type of "soap box" discussion. (casters to wheel the box around or not :rolleyes:) I started this thread to get a simple explanation from some people I feel have more knowledge concerning computers and their componets then I do (thanks again Xilikon). There are many other forums for discussions about the economy and this forum is not one, besides "opinions are like a$$holes and everbody has one".

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

Back