Please suggest a PSU

tsonka

Limp Gawd
Ok before I posted here I read through the FAQ and afterwards I was even unsure about what I needed then before I started.

I am building a new PC after the July price drops. I am providing a link to my Newegg wish list so you guys can see what gear I will be using. The video card listed I already own but everything else will be ordered new. I plan to upgrade to a NVIDIA 8xxx card after I absorb the impact of building the new PC.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=4483134

I would like you guys to suggest a PSU, if you could provide a Newegg link that would be awesome. I had someone mention to me “Why don’t you just go buy a 1000w PSU, that would be sure to cover it”. I am a firm believer that the advertised watt ratings don’t mean as much as everyone thinks they do, and if a 700w PSU would work I would rather spend more money on a better quality PSU then the same amount of money on a cheaply built higher powered one.

If it helps any, I expect my PC’s to last me 2-3 years between builds and I don’t overclock. Never have overclocked, always built my PC’s to have needed performance at stock settings. My PC usage is bout 75% gaming (Vanguard / EQ / Battlefield) and the other 25% is normal every day stuff (Burning CD’s, editing the occasional picture, internet, word processing, etc)

My priorities when building a PC are:

1. Stability / reliability
2. Performance
3. Future proofed for 2-3 years
4. Noise is of minimal concern; as long as it does not sound like a tornado I’m happy
5. Fancy lights and gimmicks are of no value to me.

Thanks

Well the wish list link isnt working.... here is a copy / paste of the items edited down to only needed information

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card

Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor

2x CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

HX620 is a solid choice, very future proof.

Might be a bit overkill for what you have now, but for down the road, it's a good option.

You would save a lot of money buying it from ClubIT with rebates, but good choice, however.

Back