PLEASE stop telling newbies to get the DFI nF4 Ultra-D!

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
The ASUS A8N-SLI and MSI Neo4/SLI are both cheaper than the Ultra-D, support SLI, and are much more newbie friendly. I realize that 99% of the "professionals" here are hardcore overclockers, so the Ultra-D seems to be the logical choice to them. However, most of the newbies here never have/will overclock and do NOT need the Ultra-D. They do not have to need for the overclocking potential, and most likely aren't experienced enough to troubleshoot it (which this board seems to need a lot of). I often see topics by them, asking why their new PC isn't working, completely clueless that their board needs to be heavily tweaked before usage. The ASUS and MSI both are friendly to light overclockers (250ish HTT) and are much more friendly to newbies. Please, do yourselves and them a favor, and consider the user BEFORE suggesting this motherboard without even thinking (which seems to have become a popular trend here). Thanks guys, and I don't mean to sound condenscending here, just trying to protect the newbs from themselves.

I was a complete noob to A64 overclocking. In fact, it was the first AMD system I've had since a 486dx4-100.

I got the Ultra-D and I didn't have ANY problems. Not sure why so many other people have so many problems, but I don't have name brand overclocking ram or anything of that nature, Just a decent video card and a decent PSU. For the longest time, my settings were Auto until I got the itch to overclock. After that, I hit 334HTT without much difficulty at all.

If you're a complete noob then you need to read some of the many A64 o/c guides out there (c(f)Eclipse has one here in fact) before even trying to attempt to overclock.

not bashing your first post, but the DFI is NOT more complicated than the other boards. It has the same options as the other boards do. The only difference is it has MORE options to tweak with. The problem lies with the people that use them and change settings that they have no idea what those settings do. That and they use cheap-ass "free-after-rebate" or "came with the case" PSU's (by those I don't mean Antec either) and then wonder why they get random reboots and instability.

There are always 2 sides to an argument...but in the case of generalizing that one board is more complicated than another, then the problem lies in the knowledge (or lack thereof) of the user. But then again..that's just my opinion :p

The A8N-SLI Deluxe sure was rookie friendly, after you found a BIOS that worked :rolleyes: Granted, Asus has resolved those BIOS issues, but it sure wasn't simple to set up if you were one of the early adopters and was waiting for a BIOS update to get your system to work. Something to remember.

Overclocking should always be studied. No motherboard (unless you're OC'ing a Celeron 300A :p) makes overclocking automatic. RAM timings, bus frequencies and ratios, voltages, etc must all be understood rather than simply raised to see what happens. Any motherboard that allows control over bus speed settings and voltages is going to be too much for a rookie to handle if they wade in blind and start messing with settings.

Users that get themselves into trouble with the DFI boards are guilty of not reading the good information out there. It is certainy not DFI's fault, just like a car maker is not responsible when a operator uses that car to exceed the speed limit and crashes.

I am a complete noob have never built a computer before and built the computer in my sig and had no problems with the mobo. Probelms with the ram as you can see.

As soon as the ram gets in I will probably do a slight overclock but having the knowledge that if in a year I want some extra horsepower that this board can give me is reasuring(as long as I didnt get a crapped 3200+)

I also don't see why overclocking-newbies should avoid the DFI boards. They are fantastic boards, end of story. You're right, they are insanely capable boards that can overclock to extreme limits. But that is not their only use! They are just as capable of running "on their own" as other boards are. My SLI-DR booted up perfectly stable with everything set to auto. I didn't have to touch the bios at all to have a stable system. People seem to be under the misconception that you HAVE to go play with your bios for hours to even get the thing to get into an Os--and that is not the case. It can auto configure just like any other board.

As others have said, some noobs just don't respect the power that the board gives them. You know, if a noob throws the jumper block and throw 4V through their ram and kills it, that's not the board's fault.

Plus, shouldn't a board be able to scale with a noob? You're right an Asus or MSI board will work just fine for moderate overclocking--but what happens when they become more confident and more skilled with their rig? Another board might limit them from growing, while the DFI's will scale as far as humanly possible.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
I also don't see why overclocking-newbies should avoid the DFI boards. They are fantastic boards, end of story. You're right, they are insanely capable boards that can overclock to extreme limits. But that is not their only use! They are just as capable of running "on their own" as other boards are. My SLI-DR booted up perfectly stable with everything set to auto. I didn't have to touch the bios at all to have a stable system. People seem to be under the misconception that you HAVE to go play with your bios for hours to even get the thing to get into an Os--and that is not the case. It can auto configure just like any other board.

As others have said, some noobs just don't respect the power that the board gives them. You know, if a noob throws the jumper block and throw 4V through their ram and kills it, that's not the board's fault.

Plus, shouldn't a board be able to scale with a noob? You're right an Asus or MSI board will work just fine for moderate overclocking--but what happens when they become more confident and more skilled with their rig? Another board might limit them from growing, while the DFI's will scale as far as humanly possible.

unfurtunately about 98% of the time the auto settings for the dfi boards will not be stable in any sense of the word in fact both systems ive built using DFI nf4 boards wouldnt even boot with both sticks of ram in and require very exact memory timings

Acctually I agree with the OP. The DFI boards are for the [H]ard and to get an AUTO setup working from start is not that common. I have taken the road where I recomend the DFI but temper it with questions on the user and wors of caution. I also mention the MSI and the ASUS as alternatives if ppl thinks twice about their capabilities. I also tell pl to READ, READ and READ b4 getting a DFI.

This view is also the official view over at DFI-Street:

Quote Angry_Games
"I don't think anyone has to be an expert to use a DFI LanParty board.

I do however think they are definitely not for novice users....novice users should really buy a Dell, Alienware, Gateway, HP, something that is already built...or buy a cheaper version of a board from Asus or MSI or something that will accept all the hardware you have and you can go from novice to semi-expert or better on it.

When taking a foreign language...do you start at level 4 of the language? Or do you start at the beginning, Language Basics?"

Taken from:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180129&postcount=17

Well I am glad a lot of you were born with all the knowledge of computers already in your heads :p
The best way to learn is to actually do something, I had zero problems with the my lanparty on my first build granted I did do a ton of reading but the thing that gave me the most trouble on this entire build was my case :eek: but I still love the case

I say warn newbies about the board and say that if you want to use it sometimes it requires more to get working than other companies boards but this board is great and I am a newbie and am glad I purchased it.

You do not have to own a DFI board to be seasoned enthusiast. It just that if you want the very best and higherst overclocks the DFI is the way to go. Asus, MSI, and some others are fine too. They might not overclock as well but most don't give a flip. Overall stability of the board in various configs and conditions means more to me.

I believe all the OP is saying is that for the average person who wants to venture into an A64 setup and knows they aren't gonna OC ever, the DFI is total overkill, why spend the extra money and just get something that requires more time invested to get working right when you can save a few bucks and get a more simple board to begin with...... and I agree.... if you're a noob with no interest in high OCs, go with MSI, Asus, hell even my Soltek is cool...... if you even think you might like to OC the hell out of it sometime in the future, get the DFI..... but understand that you will need to do a little research to learn the thing......

My first build (in my sig) was around a DFI-NF4 Ultra. I had a few problems, like the booting up with usb plugged in problem, but a simple bios flash fixed that. Great board, I am going to get into overclocking soon.

YourPaceOrMine said:
WTF are you talking about

all noobs should get a DFI board so they can learn :eek:
good theory i like it :D ....it will force them to do some research and it will also flood DFI's tech support department so maybe they will hire some phone bitches for Frank Wong

It's like telling someone to get a bike instead of a car, due to the complexity of the car's engine. It's not like you'll have to tweak and tune EVERY SINGLE PART of the engine!

I just don't get why people think you should waste your money on a non-DFI board to "introduce you to OC'ing." The DFI will give a much easier, headache free experience. God knows OC'ing the DFI is way less stressful due to its USEFUL dividers, whereas other brands like gigabyte and MSI dont put a lot of dividers in the bios and many hold back the OC. Well, DFI's dont hold back the OC, they make it easier to. So, noobs... get the DFI.

robberbaron said:
It's like telling someone to get a bike instead of a car, due to the complexity of the car's engine. It's not like you'll have to tweak and tune EVERY SINGLE PART of the engine!

I just don't get why people think you should waste your money on a non-DFI board to "introduce you to OC'ing." The DFI will give a much easier, headache free experience. God knows OC'ing the DFI is way less stressful due to its USEFUL dividers, whereas other brands like gigabyte and MSI dont put a lot of dividers in the bios and many hold back the OC. Well, DFI's dont hold back the OC, they make it easier to. So, noobs... get the DFI.

QFT
Pretty much right on, its the board to get if youre a noob and want to learn with the best there is its awesome, if you want hassle free look away.

im with yourpace people tend to learn faster that way.. like me right when i get a new game i put the mode on "extreme" "hard" "your a dumbass for picking this hard mode u noobie" :p

get a dfi board and learn as you go + its really not that complicated its not like u have to fully understand hardware to actually overclock just a few simple factors such as voltage, clocks, multiplyers, timings blah blah imma newbie and i find this simple :eek: all it is is trial and error and some benchmarks in between

i find its threads like these that make it harder for noobs to get a dfi running. they have one problem and after reading all these "dfi isn't for noob" threads they panic like the sky is falling.

the sli-dr was my first ground up build and i've built 3 more since. a couple minor problems on the first (forgot which slots were dual channel, a VGA glitchiness) that were solved in about 5 minutes of rational thought.

honestly, for months it seemed people were posting "3 LEDS, no Boot, wtf!?!?!" errr, you have a board with a bios from january and a chip from april, lol.

i dunno, i mean i wouldn't expect say my brother to pick up a dfi(or any mobo for that matter) and install it but i also wouldn't expect to see him around these forums. anybody who knows what a dfi sli-dr actually is should really be able to do the basic research and planning required of all mobos, not just dfi.

and yes, the dfi's, at least mine, all worked just fine out of the box at "auto" settings.

robberbaron said:

Nope!

Thats where it goes wrong... U see a lot of noobs buy the DFI having read 2 reviews and expect to hit 9*300 1T 1:1 with Value memory and a generic PSU. Then they come whining about it when they cant even get it to work at stock speed (after 5 minutes of trying) when we tell them to go into the BIOS and change something the reply is whats BIOS??..

No one enjoys that. Not DFI - Not the n00b - and most of all NOT THE PPL @ DFI-street!!!

Now if a reasonable person that doesn't mind reading and learning gets the DFI it doesn't matter if hes Super [H]ard or a n00b we were all n00bs at one time and we learned so it can be done. But to give everyonr the advice to get the dfi is not responsible behaviour bc the DFI MoBos are more difficult then most of the others.

whats the BIOS?? lol.. never heard that before.. thats no noob thats a granny that uses the cd tray as a cup holder

rise4310 said:
honestly, for months it seemed people were posting "3 LEDS, no Boot, wtf!?!?!" errr, you have a board with a bios from january and a chip from april, lol.

My DFI board came with the 1/25 BIOS and it booted just fine the first time with a Venice chip.

But anyway, I think the DFI board is just fine for first-time builders. Just because it has some extra BIOS options that are more advanced than the other boards, doesn't mean that noobs should change those options. It's not DFI's fault if they do change them when they don't know what they even are. The system in my sig was my first build, and I had no problems with the board. I had a few problems at first, but flashing to the newest BIOS fixed them. After that, the only thing I had to change in the BIOS to get the system stable was the DRAM voltage, and that's because I bought high-voltage RAM, not because of the board. After I did that, the system was stable without me changing anything else. I actually did have one problem, the 4V jumper makes my RAM get 100's of errors, but that's probably because I wasn't actively cooling the RAM, and noobs shouldn't be using that jumper anyway. When I went to overclock it, I followed Eclipse's OC guide to the letter, and I got to 300x9. Did a Prime95 test, it wasn't stable. I set it down to 295x9, and this time it was stable, at 1.45V. Then I followed the guide to find out how fast my RAM could go, it went to 250Mhz, so I set a 5/6 divider and that's all. It took me about 2 1/2 days to do all of that and to test it for stabillity. I expected overclocking to be much more difficult, but for me with the board it was very easy.

Another thing, you may notice that more people report problems with the DFI boards than with other boards. There is a simple reason for that: The DFI board has be given just about every websites top award. It is talked about alot and, like the OP said, usually when someone here asks what board to get, we tell him get the DFI. It's the same at other sites. So, there are alot more people ordering the DFI board than the other boards because the DFI board gets recommended to them more often. More boards being ordered = more boards for something to go wrong with + more dumb noobs changing something when they have no idea what it does just to see what will happen = more people reporting problems

ok im gonna put this short and sweet...if its a noob that just wants to build a system that works so he can play his games do home work etc etc then do not reccomend this board, however, if it is a noob who wants to build a system as a learning experience then by all means reccomend this board.

If a board isn't stable with its defualt settings, for MOST ram and system setups out of the box it is NOT a quality board.

The DFI is a high performance solution yes. Not a high quality high stability platform. I wouldn't recommend it to the novice either. Not to say the board can't be stable when tweaked, but you shouldn't have to tweak for stability.

Sir-Fragalot said:
If a board isn't stable with its defualt settings, for MOST ram and system setups out of the box it is NOT a quality board.

The DFI is a high performance solution yes. Not a high quality high stability platform. I wouldn't recommend it to the novice either. Not to say the board can't be stable when tweaked, but you shouldn't have to tweak for stability.
i dissagree...stability is stability despite what you have to do to get it. The DFI board is super stable if everything is configured correctly

want noob proff? dont mess with the absouldt newest stuff, go 1 gen old, all the Nf4 baords have there share of quakrs, depending on how you use it.

YourPaceOrMine said:

words of F*ckin wisdom, I had around 10+ builds on my belt and never OCed, only back in the days of the celeron 300, but I bought this board and FORCED myself to learn, props to Eclipse for his guide here (GREAT READ).

People should not be scared if their determined to learn, not getting this board becuase it might be too hard to get running is simply IGNORANCE!

YourPaceOrMine said:

Lol, whats with all these people saying junk like this? You have to get teh hadrest to setup most complex board on the market to 'learn' about computers? Errr, i dont think so some how. The DFI offers better overclocking yes, but honestly, a DFI isnt going to teach you alot more than an Asus can. An Asus can easy teach you more than the basics about overclocking and such, and once your ''up to speed' on them you can then move onto a more complex board, plus to Asus will be easier to get going from teh start.

Its like taking someone who cant swim to a pool, pushing them in at the deep end and saying 'learn to swim'. Sorry, it just doesnt work that way.

I upgraded to an Ultra-D about 3 weeks ago. When i got it all built, i had to reset the CMOS every single time i restarted the system. Had to flash the BIOS twice to fix that problem, then i had to format my hard drive and reinstall windows too because my windows wouldnt work right (And ive never ever had to reinstall windows for a new motherboard before, ever). If i would have given this board to a friend whos a 'computer noob' he woould have given up and given me the board back by now. Not every noob that wants to learn wants to be dealing with problems the second they turn a system on, and this seems to be the case alot with DFI boards.

Overall i'd give my DFI 10/10 on performance, and 10/10 for features, but only 1/10 for ease of use/setup. Great board yes, but i wouldnt even dream of telling a true noob to get one if they have never dealt with overclocking or more 'advanced' things first.

DarkBahamut said:
...Its like taking someone who cant swim to a pool, pushing them in at the deep end and saying 'learn to swim'. Sorry, it just doesnt work that way...
hmm...thats what my dad did to me and now i swim fine :D

DarkBahamut said:
Lol, whats with all these people saying junk like this? You have to get teh hadrest to setup most complex board on the market to 'learn' about computers? Errr, i dont think so some how. The DFI offers better overclocking yes, but honestly, a DFI isnt going to teach you alot more than an Asus can. An Asus can easy teach you more than the basics about overclocking and such, and once your ''up to speed' on them you can then move onto a more complex board, plus to Asus will be easier to get going from teh start.

Its like taking someone who cant swim to a pool, pushing them in at the deep end and saying 'learn to swim'. Sorry, it just doesnt work that way.

I upgraded to an Ultra-D about 3 weeks ago. When i got it all built, i had to reset the CMOS every single time i restarted the system. Had to flash the BIOS twice to fix that problem, then i had to format my hard drive and reinstall windows too because my windows wouldnt work right (And ive never ever had to reinstall windows for a new motherboard before, ever). If i would have given this board to a friend whos a 'computer noob' he woould have given up and given me the board back by now. Not every noob that wants to learn wants to be dealing with problems the second they turn a system on, and this seems to be the case alot with DFI boards.

Overall i'd give my DFI 10/10 on performance, and 10/10 for features, but only 1/10 for ease of use/setup. Great board yes, but i wouldnt even dream of telling a true noob to get one if they have never dealt with overclocking or more 'advanced' things first.

umm... the DFI board is not "teh hardest board evAr!"

take the 30minutes it takes to read up on all the options and figure it out for yourself. if you can spend 120+ bucks on a board, you sure as hell can spend 30 minutes to read up on what you bought (it doesnt even take 30minutes anymore, they have stickys on most DFI forums where it's so easy now)

i dont know about you but resettings the cmos and flashing the bios is not hard. by now, the noobs should know what to expect from a DFI board. have a laptop or extra desktop around to troubleshoot. it's not that hard.

flashing teh bios and resteting teh cmos may not be hard to you. Maybe you have no short term memory, but were talking about 'noobs' here. MOst people here seems to think that noobs automagicly have fairly good understanding of how to fix problems, err no. Your average computer noob wouldnt know how to flash a bios, and may not even think to reset the cmos. I dunno about anyone else, but when i got my very first computer, i didnt know how to flash a BIOS either, i learned that, and all the other stuff after (without a DFI board, omg yes, it can be done!!! :rolleyes: )

DarkBahamut said:
flashing teh bios and resteting teh cmos may not be hard to you. Maybe you have no short term memory, but were talking about 'noobs' here. MOst people here seems to think that noobs automagicly have fairly good understanding of how to fix problems, err no. Your average computer noob wouldnt know how to flash a bios, and may not even think to reset the cmos. I dunno about anyone else, but when i got my very first computer, i didnt know how to flash a BIOS either, i learned that, and all the other stuff after (without a DFI board, omg yes, it can be done!!! :rolleyes: )

I learned how to BIOS flash with my DFI board. I went to the website, downloads their "diamond flash image", copied that to a floppy, and booted from the floppy. If someone can't do that easily, they shouldn't be building their own PC. DFI's website has instructions on how to flash the BIOS that are easy to follow. If a noob can't read instructions, then he shouldn't be building his own PC either. It's not like if a noob has problems or doesn't know how to do something, he has to figure out what to do on his own. That's what this forum is for, if a noob has a problem with any board, he can just come here for help. He'd probably get a better chance of getting an answer with a DFI board than with another board, because the DFI board is very popular, and most of the common problems with the board are well-know by most of the people here. It's when a noob has a problem, and instead of asking for help, he starts changing BIOS settings that he has no idea what they are because he thinks they "might" solve the problem. That's not DFI's fault just because they provide the extra options.

Oh, and about the instabillity thing. The board requires certain memory to work. What's so hard about that? If a noob spent 5 minutes reading the stickys at DFI-Street he'd know what memory to get. If he can't do that, he shouldn't purchase any board at all. If you can't take the time to read about what you're buying, don't buy it.

If you use the right memory, DFI boards will be stable out of the box and they will not have more problems than other boards. Like I said before, more people buy the DFI, so more people have problems with it. I don't think the actual percentage of people having problems is very much higher than other boards, if at all.

Well my opinion of the Ultra-D is so far undecided. I slapped my DFI Ultra-D / X2 together and I just get the 4 debugging leds. Tried a 3800 Venice and still no go. I put the X2 4400 in the MSI Neo 4 Platinum that I pulled the 3800 from and it seems to be working. Installing Windows now.

I have a feeling that it maybe a bios issue, but I don't have the time to fiddle with it tonight. I might try the winnie 3500+ in it. If that doesn't work, I'll try hot flashing the bios and see if that works.

Sometimes even experienced people expect things to 'just work,' and it just seems hit or miss with some DFI combo's, the last Ultra-D / 3800 Venice machine I built worked fine. I might just be having some problems because I had a long day and missed something simple, but for people without the resources to try another psu, different ram, different cpu, or a different bios chip it would be hard to suggest someone to buy the board, especially if it is going to be their only computer.

I think it is time for a Newcastle.....of the alcholic variety.

Nope, I only had one stick of my ocz gold in it. After doing some research, I hope I found the problem. Someone over at DFI-Street had problems with the Ultra-D and newer Seasonic power supplies (an issue with the +5Vsb). I have a few a Xiclo, a Fortron, and a Antec Neo-Power laying around so if that is the problem, I am good to go. ::Crosses fingers::

DarkBahamut said:

where in my posts do you get the idea that you can learn ONLY from DFI? seriously, get a clue.

like the guy said in the post after you up there, it's not that hard. you have a problem, and then you look for the solution. if you can buy a board or post on internet forums, then you can troubleshoot your mobo. simple as that, it doesnt matter if it's a DFI or not.

Well the problem is that the most n00bs do NOT know what they want or what is required. They have just read a couple of reviews and they think WOW a 3000+ doning 3.2GHz on a DFI MoBo Im gonne get me one of those if this Oppainter can do it so can I ...

Then they cheap out on RAM and PSU and they blame the MoBo and if they DO get it to work they use software like nTune to try to Oc...

For ppl who WANT to learn and who DOESN'T MIND READING yes the DFI is ok. but otherwise not... This MoBo works on Auto settings about 1 time in 2 and that is with no corners cut on other components.

dfi-street is good and if Uwe managed to find the stickies there and read them and understood most of it then yes this MoBo is good but otherwise...

And then i tend to side w Cell on stability. I believe the DFIs are the most stable MoBos out there right now - but its not easy to get them there. Stability has Nothing to do with ease of use.

Just a little update, I think it is just a dead board. I have tried everything and it still hasn't posted once. I have recieved dead boards before, Fedex can be brutal to packages, and so my take on the Ultra-D is still undecided.

dr_dirtnap said:
Just a little update, I think it is just a dead board. I have tried everything and it still hasn't posted once. I have recieved dead boards before, Fedex can be brutal to packages, and so my take on the Ultra-D is still undecided.

Well it happens... If u have all cables connected and U dont even get LEDs then its a DOA.

Frallan said:
Nope!

Thats where it goes wrong... U see a lot of noobs buy the DFI having read 2 reviews and expect to hit 9*300 1T 1:1 with Value memory and a generic PSU. Then they come whining about it when they cant even get it to work at stock speed (after 5 minutes of trying) when we tell them to go into the BIOS and change something the reply is whats BIOS??..

No one enjoys that. Not DFI - Not the n00b - and most of all NOT THE PPL @ DFI-street!!!

Now if a reasonable person that doesn't mind reading and learning gets the DFI it doesn't matter if hes Super [H]ard or a n00b we were all n00bs at one time and we learned so it can be done. But to give everyonr the advice to get the dfi is not responsible behaviour bc the DFI MoBos are more difficult then most of the others.

Seems like they would have had to know how to get to the bios before they found out they couldn't hit 9*300 1T 1:1 with Value memory..

Anyways, I built a box for a friend with the Ultra-D... Only problem was putting memory in the wrong slots. Other then that, no problems. Well, I guess I think the board is ugly. Performance and ease is nothing to be complaining about.

YourPaceOrMine said:

I 'd like to learn to fly, no previous experience. Would you recommend say..an F16? :)

Seriously, the one tip I would give is that the AUTO settings on the DFI are actually fairly fast and not what I would call 'sympathetic' to getting a reasonably stable setup from word go.

Its a nice board and if you use some common sense and some reasonable quality components to go with it, you should be ok. I have always said this board could have done with more testing before it was released and i think that could have been said about most NF4 boards. They were rushed to market.

Back