Please stop deleting prices!

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks & Trolls' started by klinkman, Jul 2, 2017.

1. klinkman

klinkman [H]ard|Gawd

I am open to other opinions here, but sellers, stop changing titles and descriptions when your item sells!

Leave your asking prices up, stop deleting or changing them when your item sells. Just mark it sold and close the thread.

Leaving prices makes it easier on everyone looking to sell after you. It helps the community. You don't have to post the actual sale price or anything, just stop deleting all the original asking info.
    I feel like this used to be standard practice but now everyone deletes the info. :(

2. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

I hate when people do this...really hurts being able to comparison shop/price items. If you sold your 5960X for $600 there's no harm in mine being priced more or less when you already sold yours. There's no reason why others shouldn't be able to know how much you were charging.

There really is, in my opinion, no good "opinion" on why people delete prices.

caddys83, Reality, Xinmosni and 2 others like this.
  3. livfree

livfree [H]ard|Gawd

I change my listing to have (SOLD) or (FOUND) in the title and lock it, but the main box stays as is for people to use as a reference.

4. trasixes

trasixes Gawd

Amen! This has bugged me for years! We can't do price checks, so recent sales are the only option for setting an informed price, or making an informed purchase.

Reality and Xinmosni like this.
  5. Auburn_Tigers

Auburn_Tigers Limp Gawd

This is a stupid post, and it does not help the community one bit. What one person might sell something for, another seller would not, so how does it help?
    Only nosey people want to know what something sold for. So, again. Why does it matter, as it's SOLD already?

6. trentchau

trentchau [H]ard|Gawd

I don't think it's a stupid post, it's reasonable. Even retail sites and ebay has a "price history". It's a discussion anyways, why resort to extremes and calling stuff stupid?

I know there's been time where I've done a search looking to see what prices things are going for.

7. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

I've wished for this for a while too. I've used sold [H] threads to show CL sellers that their shit isn't worth what they're asking, it's nice to have history

Reality and Master_shake_ like this.
  8. trentchau

trentchau [H]ard|Gawd

Something i keep forgetting is there is a strike through option that's under the + above us. I used to do that on other sale forums.

Tell you what OP. I agree about the price thing, and in my current FS post and all my future FS post I promise to strike through prices once sold in honor of your request.

9. AlphaFox

AlphaFox Limp Gawd

I agree, just close the thread. leave the price there, why even delete it? then you know what the ASP is for the item based on time. you might not find the same price but at least you know what it went for.

10. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 2[H]4U

I'm guilty of this for sure as I hadn't even thought about others needing it for reference, but I'll be sure to keep em.. for history's sake.

EuphoricRage470 and Crosshairs like this.
  11. klinkman

klinkman [H]ard|Gawd

Sounds like someone got price corrected via an old sales thread and is a little grumpy. :)

But yeah, researching market value for your items on the same forums you want to sell on is a great tool for buyers and sellers. ebay is unreliable and there just arent a lot of good hardware trade/sale sites to look at anyway.
    [H] is kickass, keep up the good work!

12. harmattan

harmattan 2[H]4U

I both have bought AND sold a boatload of stuff over the years here and this has been a major pet peeve of mine. It just seems really dishonest and not helpful deleting content as it was at the time of the sale -- this includes price. There are many more reasons why this detail should remain publicly visible than not. It protects both the seller and buyer and allows researching.

Not my forum but I'm all for locking a thread (initial post at least) once a sale goes through.

Crosshairs likes this.
  13. Vapor1000

Vapor1000 Gawd

I'm 100% on board with leaving the posts unedited when the sale goes through.
    As most of you have already pointed out it only helps both the buyers and sellers get a feel for the market.
    Why do most of the people seem to change it to Price is: Sold. Before locking the thread? I have no idea... It literally takes more work on their part and accomplishes the same thing as closing the thread, which they are doing anyway.
    Or say it is one of multiple items you are selling. Put it under your "Sold" section on your thread, and just copy/paste the entire line.

However i feel as if this thread isn't going to accomplish anything because i know we have had at least one similar in the past and still the majority of people seem to |Price = Sold| their threads.

GoldenTiger and Xinmosni like this.
  14. klinkman

klinkman [H]ard|Gawd

I have to wonder how many people do it just because they have seen it done. Not really meaning to remove the info so much as thinking its just what is done after the sale.
    :shrug:
    We can start the revolution ourselves. Down with the old 'SOLD' ways!

15. xx0xx

xx0xx Gawd

I only do this because I use the same thread for new stuff so I re-use the same thread over and over so I'm not creating multiples

That stems from something that I thought was asked/announced a while back that asked for SOLD items to no longer be listed in posts because it hurts search (people search for it and just get a bunch of sold results)

Is there an official practice that can be decided on? I don't feel strongly one way or the other

Nicepants42 and Krazy925 like this.
  16. VRT

VRT Limp Gawd

I understand the question, but I am all for people deleting them. I have gotten so many things saying they sell for this or that saying hey this or that low balling, thinking I am hurting for cash, or see a fake deal.

I had someone recently say they would take one of my RX480's waste my time and then say hey I saw it for $150 on a three month old price after I held if for them doing a sure deal. I do stuff at a fair price and expect people being fair recently if I list something on craigslist and they do anything less than 50% of the asking or fair price I say yes I will do it, what is your phone number figure out where they are in town make them drive across town then wait for 30-90 minutes and wait I sold it already.

17. Cecil

Cecil [H]ardness Supreme

Other forums make it part of the rules to not just leave the price, but put "X Item SOLD for $xxx" changing the amount to the actual negotiated price.

This keeps market prices more in line and easier to follow trends. It doesnt just work for making prices less, but for bringing them back up as well. If in case above, someone brings up a 3 month old thread of a low price, and there are newer threads showing higher prices, you can point out the upward trend.

18. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

I just look at used prices on eBay and Amazon then price it a few dollars under that. I don't really care what anyone else is asking for theirs, it's not really a solid resource for pricing your FS items IMO.

19. livfree

livfree [H]ard|Gawd

I prefer going on prices here because eBay is quite inflated a lot of the time.

20. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Either way, if you are offering the lowest price for the particular item and someone wants it they will buy it or send an offer. That's also why I look at Amazon's used prices as well.

21. livfree

livfree [H]ard|Gawd

In 6 years i've never bought something used on Amazon, personally. Always much more expensive than eBay.

22. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

I concur. Helps me establish a base price on my items when I see what others are asking. Also allows me to determine if it's even worth my time to put it up for sale or not.

23. klinkman

klinkman [H]ard|Gawd

Going to bump my old thread here. Got on [H] after a while away and tried to price some used hardware. So so many threads have zero pricing info remaining.
    With the crypto madness, and many different components being priced so far outside MSRP, leaving your sale ad pricing in the ad REALLY helps all buyers and sellers. The ebay and amazon markets are damn near unusable for comparisons at this point, and everyone could use any help they can get finding and making good deals these days.
    If you are worried about people bringing up pricing from months ago in an old closed sale thread, then simply say that when they PM you. "That ad is three months old, i think my price is fair at XXX" .
    I would love to see pricing info remaining as an actual thread rule, but understand thats a big step with lots of opinions. Just wanted to bump my thoughts again for the current market!
    -Klink

AlphaFox and GoldenTiger like this.
  24. Gillbot

Gillbot [H]ardness Supreme

I hate this, and I hate it when people bump a thread to say it’s closed or sold. Just lock it and let it die, no need to post on it.

AlphaFox likes this.
  25. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

Totally agree on the deleting prices thing, but I'm guilty of it. In fact it's only very recently that I stopped the practice of deleting all the content / description for stuff that's sold in my threads. Now I tend to darken the text and/or put it in spoiler tags to hide it.

AlphaFox likes this.
  26. peanuthead

peanuthead [H]ardness Supreme

I use the pricing history to help establish was I might be able to sell something for. Otherwise, I have to rely on retail numbers and that is not always a good thing.

27. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

Or you could just come up with a number you're willing to let an item go for instead of worrying about how many extra pennies you can squeeze from a fellow enthusiast wallet. I always sell my stuff quickly because my prices are more than fair. I don't need no stinkin' history.