Please say ATi hasn't lost it

IF YOU think this is some kind of a joke, well, it isn't. ATI made up silly codenames for the three upcoming chips expected in 2007. They are all DirectX 10 parts probably with unified Shaders as well but, since they have a V in the codename they won't be the high-end chips.

The first one is codenamed RV610 or, as the engineers codenamed it, Bum. The second one is RV630, or engineering codename Shaka, and the last one RV660 is codenamed Laka.

When you put these three codenames together you get Bum Shaka Laka, which is, of course, richly amusing. Who said that engineers don't have the sense of humour?

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34627

Someone has a sense of humour alright but I don't think it's the engineers ;)

Meh, microsoft has done worse codenames

Here are some highlights:
Snowball - Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Frosting - Plus! for Windows 95
Janus - Windows 3.1 (reused Windows 2000 64bit)
Impala - Windows NT 4.0 Embedded
Asteroid - Windows 2000 SP1
Mantis - Windows XP Embedded
Whistler - Windows XP
Longhorn - Windows Vista
Blackcomb - Code name for next OS after Vista (yes, they plan then ahead)

Its also intresting to note that there is a Longhorn Saloon at the Blackcomb Ski Resort located in Whistler, Canada... Gee, I wonder how they thought of the last three code names :rolleyes:

Even if it is true, big woop. Like names have a single thing to do with the actual product.

Aelfgeft said:
Even if it is true, big woop. Like names have a single thing to do with the actual product.

I dunno, when it comes to GFX cards, what I'm looking for is something that can bust out some Bumshakalaka, if you know what I mean. :D

Please say ATi hasn't lost it
Please stop reading the inq...
Read a TECH magazine or website for your info.. not a cheap celebrity tabloid magazine :rolleyes:

mentok1982 said:
Why bum and not boom? The phrase is is boom shaka laka.

Canadians say Bum instead of ass. Even though its supposed to be Boom, and not anything that means ass.

Of course, one method to sell tons of the new cards is the following strategy.

1. Release a ATI Demo of Ruby shaking her thing.

2. Code it that if someone changes a single setting in the ini file so that she's nude.

3. Make sure the demo only runs on ATI cards.

A large number of ethusiasts will run out and purchase the card to see the demo just like they did for nVIDIA cards with the oh so easily modified "Dawn" demo. ;)

looks like the inq cought some wind of some very sparse information regarding ATI's plans for their next gen mid range products, probably the XX600, XX700 and GT series

makes me wonder why they thing ATI would only be releasing these products and nothing else...

LOL!
Indeed very funny. I actually like it. Bum Shaka Laka is very catchy :)

I think its kind of neat when they can have fun with the internal code names.. I mean its just a name so...

Back